Lord Mayor's Show 2009

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Lord Mayor's Show 2009

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Buses ???

What about TRAMS ? --:(
Before my time, but I do remember trolley buses (and how cyclists would sometimes get their wheels stuck in the tracks),
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

MKM wrote:[

I think I remember being turned away from Tower Bridge, but have no memory of even trying the Tower. Did we go to the Museum of London, and the Jewish Museum, or was that another occasion?
Was The Museum of London in existence back then? I don't think that I have ever been there. In fact, the first time I remember hearing of it was while reading London by, um, Rutherford? The guy who also wrote Sarum and Dublin.

Changing tack slightly, but as I hopefully have at least Mary's and Munch's attention:

I plan to be in UK in July for Mum's 80th. Current intention is to leave Adelaide on 11/7 and stay for three weeks (although the only thing written in stone is that I need to be in Haywards Heath for Sunday 18/7 for a family lunch, and again for 22/7 which is Mum's actual birthday. We have to celebrate early, as one of my brothers has booked their annual holiday to Orlando, leaving on 23/7). I'm not sure if I am going to be a surprise guest (have to consider Mum's heart lol), in which case I may book into a Travelodge close to a station that will get me to London reasonably cheaply from 12/7 to 18/7.
So, the point of this waffle is: would anyone (not just Mary and Munch) care to join me for coffee/lunch/whatever, and if so: where? Horsham? Hertford? London? Are we still able to source tickets to get into The Tower and other places for free?

xxxxx
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Angela Woodford wrote:
The 159! The route to trundle from Streatham to Brixton
I remember the 159! I lived in Croydon for 21 years & AFIR it terminated at West Croydon.
midget wrote:My Dad was a conductor on the tram out of New Cross.
My mother was born in New Cross! 6, Railway Grove in fact. What school did you go to, Midget? Mum's were Childeric Road Junior, then Greenwich Central. When she started work as a shorthand-typist (at 16, on 10/- a week, of which she had to give her mother 7/6d for her "keep"!) she went to London Bridge and back by tram. Sorry, very OFF TOPIC! (can't get the smiley up).
BACK ON TOPIC:
I've never once been to the Lord Mayor's Show - very remiss for a sarf Londoner!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I've only seen the Lord Mayor's Show once for real - you see far more on the telly! but you don't get the atmosphere. These days i am squeamish about crowds, so I don't suppose i ever shall see it now! Aaaah!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:would anyone (not just Mary and Munch) care to join me for coffee/lunch/whatever, and if so: where? Horsham? Hertford? London? Are we still able to source tickets to get into The Tower and other places for free?
I wonder if we could swing it to get into the Tower for free this time? :lol: I should love a trip like this and see you girls.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote: Changing tack slightly, but as I hopefully have at least Mary's and Munch's attention:

I plan to be in UK in July for Mum's 80th. Current intention is to leave Adelaide on 11/7 and stay for three weeks (although the only thing written in stone is that I need to be in Haywards Heath for Sunday 18/7 for a family lunch, and again for 22/7 which is Mum's actual birthday. We have to celebrate early, as one of my brothers has booked their annual holiday to Orlando, leaving on 23/7). I'm not sure if I am going to be a surprise guest (have to consider Mum's heart lol), in which case I may book into a Travelodge close to a station that will get me to London reasonably cheaply from 12/7 to 18/7.
So, the point of this waffle is: would anyone (not just Mary and Munch) care to join me for coffee/lunch/whatever, and if so: where? Horsham? Hertford? London? Are we still able to source tickets to get into The Tower and other places for free?

xxxxx
:D :D I would love to meet up again. I'm busy from 15th-22nd (on a bell-ringing holiday in Northampton), so sometime after that would suit me best.

I wonder if we've "done" Hertford for now. The school site (what remains of it) is rather sad-looking. Horsham or London are worth considering, though I doubt we'd get into the Tower for free. What about revisiting one of our Ascension day outings? Or visiting Hampton Court - I haven't been back since our school trip. Or you could come to Cheltenham.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

If you opt for Hampton Court, count me in. It is just up the road from me. Or there is a boat that runs to and from from Kingston.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Off topic I know! I went to Calvert Road school(we lived in Calvert Rd too) where I had a brilliant teacher, Mrs Hobbs who apparently was determined that I would go to CH. When I was 6 we were evacuated first to St Leonards, and then to Pembrokeshire, but I stayed in Mrs H's class all the time.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

[quote="MKM
:D :D I would love to meet up again. I'm busy from 15th-22nd (on a bell-ringing holiday in Northampton), so sometime after that would suit me best.

I wonder if we've "done" Hertford for now. The school site (what remains of it) is rather sad-looking. Horsham or London are worth considering, though I doubt we'd get into the Tower for free. What about revisiting one of our Ascension day outings? Or visiting Hampton Court - I haven't been back since our school trip. Or you could come to Cheltenham.[/quote]

I agree about Hertford, and love Hampton Court :-). I can't remember where we went on any of our Ascension Day outings, but I do have a photograph of, um, don't have it here with me (furry sitting at the farm for the weekend): maybe Munch, Bun, Phillipa under a tree somewhere.

I realise that it's a tad early for fixing dates, but I'm a wee bit excited :D .It may be that I have to change dates to fit in some training in New Jersey en route, or on the way back, so the only things written in stone for me are lunch on 18th and Mum's actual birthday on 22nd.

xxxxx
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:I'm a wee bit excited :D
Me too!

My daughter went to Hampton Court earlier this year, and they had people dressed up as Tudors, including Henry VIII. I wonder if we could put in a request to meet Edward VI.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

MKM wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:I'm a wee bit excited :D
Me too!

My daughter went to Hampton Court earlier this year, and they had people dressed up as Tudors, including Henry VIII. I wonder if we could put in a request to meet Edward VI.
I know one of the Henry VIIIs and he's perfectly cast :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

John ---- Senility Strikes --- of course it was the Woolwich Ferry !----- :oops:

How could I forget --- my Father was born in Woolwich Barracks !
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:How could I forget --- my Father was born in Woolwich Barracks !
Not General Gordon was he, although I think the blue plaque marking his birthplace is outside the barracks?
My grandfather must have known the place well as he was promoted and demoted from Sergeant various times whilst in the army, and was a batman at the Woolwich Academy until he retired at the age of 80. He was gassed in WWI.
Family legend has it that he was the British Army wrestling champion before the war, and there was supposed to be a photo of him on horseback receiving the trophy from Edward VII. We were never sure whether it was wrestling on horseback, but such was his strength that my mother thought he wrestled horses.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

We seem to be totally "Off Topic" --- I didn't know that General Gordon was born in Woolwich Barracks ----
Obviously "A better class of Person is born -----" :lol:
But I have stood on the steps in Khartoum where he met his death.
Not a good General --- refused to get out when he could , and lost a lot of lives , beside his own ! :oops: