Lord Mayor's Show 2009

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Lord Mayor's Show 2009

Post by postwarblue »

Meant to watch on TV but I missed it! Was the Housey band on it?
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Lord Mayor's Show 2009

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I missed the Housey Band also --- I think they always PRECEDE the Lord Mayor to the Mansion House, where he takes the Salutes. ALTERNATIVELY -- they may precede him grom the Mansion House to ST Pauls --- But the BBC, in their wisdom, cut the programme, as he got into his Coach !

Can anybody Help ?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

See the thread about swine flu in the school - they had to pull out of playing.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

All Explained !!!!
Thanks !
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

It's turned into "don't mention the Lord Mayor's Show" here. It was a cr*p day altogether. Scary lack of organisation on the part of our Residents' Association Chair who'd organised the trip (first contact we've ever had with them, and the last!), pompous know-all coach driver who led us a merry dance round London so we nearly missed the beginning of the parade, we got soaked through (I was wringing out my T shirt under my jumper under my jacket), no CH band, no cousin's steam bus (though I may have misunderstood - maybe that's next year), fireworks cancelled because of the weather, both of us alternately got crotchety and snapped at each other......it's difficult to see how it could have been much worse. We had a pleasant couple of hours in a pub just off Ludgate Circus but it wasn't worth a trip to London just for that.

Some of the coach driver's nuggets of information:
- Somerset House used to be a hospital but it's lying empty now
- the A12 and A13 lead down to the Channel Tunnel
- the Lord Mayor borrows the Queen's golden coach

....and, best of all....

Boris Johnson is the Lord Mayor of London, there is no such office as just "mayor". :roll: :roll: I did have to intervene there, and I don't think he was used to being contradicted.

Still, we got home safely, much wiser for the experience. Next year we'll just watch it on TV.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

A sad day -- Jo. :cry:

TBA and I, have an arrangement, between us ------ If we are going to have a "Disaster" -- we will turn it into an "Adventure"-----"Embroider" the circumstances -- somewhat -- and Dine Out on it for months !!!
(Eg: a drunken Italian Waiter !)

I imagine your Coach Driver would qualify ! :oops:
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

That's a great idea Neill. Neither of us particularly saw the funny side at the time, but we are laughing about it now :D :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Sadly, I missed it on the 'box' owing to the weather and frantically trying to gather information on which footy-games had been called off.

Sounds like I didn't miss much this year, though !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

There's a rumour flying round the School that since the Band pulled out this year, it might not be invited again (apparently there are zillions of bands, groups, etc. all itching to be part of the Lord Mayor's Show). That would be very sad. I thought the Band had played in the Show for ever but apparently not. I met a friend today, whose son was Drum Major for a couple of years before he left the school in 1984, and it was during his time that they started doing the Lord Mayor's Show - presumably in the time of a Lord Mayor with CH connections.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I think there were mitigating circumstances why the band pulled out... I'm sure it's just a rumour!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

kerrensimmonds wrote:There's a rumour flying round the School that since the Band pulled out this year, it might not be invited again (apparently there are zillions of bands, groups, etc. all itching to be part of the Lord Mayor's Show). That would be very sad. I thought the Band had played in the Show for ever but apparently not. I met a friend today, whose son was Drum Major for a couple of years before he left the school in 1984, and it was during his time that they started doing the Lord Mayor's Show - presumably in the time of a Lord Mayor with CH connections.
I was in the band when we did the Show for the first time. Can't remember the year, but it must have been 1976 or 1977, I suppose. The last time I looked there were a couple of photographs of the event on the wall of the Band Room. However, annual participation didn't begin until after I'd left, I believe.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Jo - I was under the illusion that Somerset House was the old Births Marriages and Deaths.

A hospital? I must look it up. And me a Londoner; tsk!

...10 minutes later.... Fascinating! And I want to go skating!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

You're absolutely right, Angela, that's the point :lol:. The coach driver had obviously never heard of the term "I don't know" for when he didn't know - he just made things up. The examples I gave were just some of his better ones.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

:oops:

Oh, b$gger it. Not so bright this morning. We've run out of coffee, that's why. I shouldn't be so slow on the uptake -
and I have a pre-Christmas job interview later along with 100,000 other applcants, so must sharpen my wits!

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Angela Woodford wrote::oops:

Oh, b$gger it. Not so bright this morning. We've run out of coffee, that's why. I shouldn't be so slow on the uptake -
and I have a pre-Christmas job interview later along with 100,000 other applcants, so must sharpen my wits!

good luck
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87