Happy Christmas-- Hanukah - Ede-- Whatever

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Happy Christmas-- Hanukah - Ede-- Whatever

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I just wanted to wish everybody --- of whatever Faith -- or none ! --- a happy and blessed time, over this period.
I apologise for not wishing Hanukah in the Hebrew Script -- but what do you expect from my keyboard !

In all seriousness--- I hope that this Christmas and the New Year will see things better, for all of us-- and that whatever you wish for yourselves, and your Loved Ones, may be richly accomplished with great Blessings.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Happy Christmas-- Hanukah - Ede-- Whatever

Post by J.R. »

Same from me......

and it might just be a white Christmas for some in the U.K.

:wine:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

And from me too.

And hope to meet some of you (again) in 2010.

:wine: :wine:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

All that and particularly good health to all (particularly my sister who has a heart condition, and at the age of 88 is about to embark ona move from Birmingham to Goring).
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Good health, good company and a great Christmas and New Year to everyone, especially those who have been off colour - subscribers and guests.

David
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

My boss, a lovely Ugandan Asian said Maggie, your daughter went to Deansbrook school?
"Yes I said , what's wrong?"
"My son wants me to go to the carol service"
"Nobody is going to try to convert either of you"
"I asked him if he wuold be singing, and he said "Do not be silly Mummy, only the Jewish boys sing Christmas carols""
She and her husband both went to the serice, enjoyed it and had a very happy little boy.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I've cracked, and opened the Quality Street "just to put some around in bowls".

But- where is the square caramel one in the brown wrapping? Is it just my tin of QS, or has the caramel been discontinued? This is dire. The sickly strawberry cream :evil: is still in there and will be the last to go.

I'm upset, but will try to make do with the purple one.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Midget---
The Rector -- Pamela, has just telephoned to ask if we can put Paul up for a few days ---
Paul is the super Ugandan chap, with a British sense of humour ---"Should I carry this on my head ? "
He has a wonderful Tenor voice, teaches some 24 adoring Children in the Sunday School, and is a much better Christian, than I.
He explained to me, that his perfect English is due to the fact that his Parents don't speak each other's Tribal Language and therefore the language of the Family, as a whole, is English !!

He thinks I am an old "Colonial" -- I can't think why --- and we have giggles about it -- see the "Head Joke" above.

I mention him, because it appears, more and more, evident ,that the Moral Leadership of the Church of England is passing to Africa !!!

DUCK ??
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Angela Woodford wrote:I've cracked, and opened the Quality Street "just to put some around in bowls".

But- where is the square caramel one in the brown wrapping? Is it just my tin of QS, or has the caramel been discontinued? This is dire. The sickly strawberry cream :evil: is still in there and will be the last to go.

I'm upset, but will try to make do with the purple one.
I suggest you make a list of everyone who has had access to the tin, and interrogate them till someone owns up to eating all the caramels. Then send the culprit out to the shops to buy chocolate gingers.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Interrogation completed, Mary. Protestations of innocence all round.

Furthermore, the sticky tape fastening down the tin lid appeared to be intact. It was I who ripped it off in a weak-willed moment of caramel-covetousness. It must be Mssrs Nestlé who are responsible for removing the brown caramel.

I don't know. The orange cream, the strawberry cream and the coconut one continue to flourish.

Hmmph.

Don't think of "Celebrations". Sicklysicklysickly!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

A Happy and Peaceful Christmas to you all.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Angela, according to Wiki the contents have changed over the years. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_St ... onfection) For some reason my link doesn't seem to be working properly - I Googled Quality Street Chocolate Types and found it.

As a child these WERE our Christmas sweets. A friend of my Mum's brought us a large tin each year, and that was it. The wrappers were saves and became Christmas decorations the following year, if you tied them on twine they appeared like colourful bows! We used to get flat tins of Quality Street in Malaysia, same Regency types shown on the tin lid, very obviously Quality Street. I keep some of my embroidery stuff in the tins and have had some very strange looks - the Malay for Chocolate and Toffee is Coklat dan tofi apart from that, the tins could pass as British!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

When we "posh" sweets at Christmas, I used to peel the coloured foil off the wrapper with great care, then patiently smooth the foil with the back of a fingernail. It then became a bookmark, or if it was really exotic, I just hoarded it to look at! The colours were such a wonderful contrast to the post-war drabness.
A very happy Christmas to you all, and a peaceful New Year.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Merry Christmas to all, thank you for very entertaining year.

In the words of the much missed Dave Allen,: "Good night, and may your God walk with you."
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

My favourite Quality Street is the orange crunch. I have a box of Bendicks mints, and a box of chocolate sea shells stashed away for sharing after Christmas dinner. For everyday I like Sainsbury's 85% dark chocolate - it is sold in packs of 5 x 25g bars, which helps with portion control.
Mary
CH 1965-1972