CH Habits?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

bap
LE (Little Erasmus)

CH Habits?

Post by bap »

30 years on I still stand my toast on its side while I wait for it to cool; a hangover from school days when toast was kept warm [and very moist] in steamy trolleys. Standing it on it's side allowed the upper half to partialy dry out.
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Re: CH Habits?

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

bap wrote:30 years on I still stand my toast on its side while I wait for it to cool; a hangover from school days when toast was kept warm [and very moist] in steamy trolleys. Standing it on it's side allowed the upper half to partialy dry out.
Yeah, so do I. My uncle tried to tell me once that you should stand toast on end so that it didn't go soggy, but he couldn't say why. When I tried to explain about the evaporating water, he didn't want to listen. Hmmph.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I make all my beds with hospital corners...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

i smoke with my left hand.

someone once told me that our housemaster at the time always used to ask to smell the fingers of your right hand if he suspected you of smoking. i now suspect that was untrue.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

bap wrote:30 years on I still stand my toast on its side while I wait for it to cool; a hangover from school days when toast was kept warm [and very moist] in steamy trolleys. Standing it on it's side allowed the upper half to partialy dry out.
Golly we never had toast! I do remember cutting bread as a dining all trade before breakfast - I still have the scar to prove it. Slice the long Prewett's loaf in half lengthways then down through the middle of each half corner to corner and finally cutting about 200 triangular slices from the four pieces of the original loaf. I can't remembeer what happened to the pieces that we cut though. (presumably the deep cut on the forefinger of my left hand bled freely into the slices - no health and safety in those days! I am not sure we even had anywhere to wash our hands in the Dining Hall! OK. I know we were supposed to have had some sort of wash in the lave ends before scurrying up for trades, but there was very little time .......)
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:
Yeah, so do I. My uncle tried to tell me once that you should stand toast on end so that it didn't go soggy, but he couldn't say why. When I tried to explain about the evaporating water, he didn't want to listen. Hmmph.
Delia showed how to do it in her 'How to cook toast' programme. If Delia says so, it must be true!
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I always put my PE kit on if there's a power cut.

marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

I still stuff my hands down the front of my trousers when it's cold, even though I now have pockets...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

cj wrote:I always put my PE kit on if there's a power cut.
WHY? Is this a Horsham fetish?

I still find it very hard to write anything in a book - such as an improvement to a recipe.
I also make hospital corners when making the bed.

I remember cutting bread for breakfast but ours were bloomer loaves, cut in half then each half lengthways to make quarters, then cut the slices. Bread cutting in 6s was the duty of Lower V who had to cut so many quarters before it moved to the next person. Don't remember giving hygiene much thought!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

I eat very fast, normally the first one at the table to finish a meal...
I have always put this down to my school days when if you you were quick you could get seconds....
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Katharine wrote:
I was being silly. Anyway my PE kit doesn't fit anymore and I don't look like Britney Spears in a uniform to pass it off. The morning after the hurricane hit in '87, we were instructed at breakfast to go and change into our PE kit, presumably so that we didn't get our uniforms too dirty. Unfortunately, everything went back to normal by the evening when the power supply was reconnected. We must have been the only children attending school in the South-East that day. I remember having a Latin lesson with JED in the dimpsy of the Classics block. Ironically, my parents who lived a few miles away were without power for about 12 days and we arrived home for half-term to find them hunting and gathering to survive. My boy-scout brother set to in the garden and built a fire and cooked spaghetti bolognese on it. I guess I have Mr Shippen to thank for that.

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

cj wrote:
Katharine wrote:
I was being silly. Anyway my PE kit doesn't fit anymore and I don't look like Britney Spears in a uniform to pass it off. The morning after the hurricane hit in '87, we were instructed at breakfast to go and change into our PE kit, presumably so that we didn't get our uniforms too dirty. Unfortunately, everything went back to normal by the evening when the power supply was reconnected. We must have been the only children attending school in the South-East that day. I remember having a Latin lesson with JED in the dimpsy of the Classics block. Ironically, my parents who lived a few miles away were without power for about 12 days and we arrived home for half-term to find them hunting and gathering to survive. My boy-scout brother set to in the garden and built a fire and cooked spaghetti bolognese on it. I guess I have Mr Shippen to thank for that.
I was stuck (literally) in a prep school north of Horsham where my parents taught - the only way out was over the trees for 3 days until the drive was cleared. 10 days later we got the power back, and 3 weeks later, we got the phones back!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

I still lick my chips.
Thornton 85-92
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Sorry, I use fitted sheets.

My hospital corners pre-date Hertford though.

The advertising manager on our local paper had been to Horsham and I spotted him by his 'Housey kick'. Shocked the life out of him.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Yes, I've spotted the 'Housey walk' too.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965