Becomming a New Dep

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Becomming a New Dep

Post by englishangel »

Blimey Munch, that takes me back. Only me though, half my family are still singing those, "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" anyone?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

cj wrote:Didn't we have those institution green, melamine, picnic type mugs (and plates come to that) for meals? Everything tastes odd from those receptacles. RIP urns. Imagine the chaos with a machine - it's Terminator all over again.
We definately had green cups, I remember I took about 10 to the brew room as I was cleaning out my study on the last day. but all the plates were china......don't you remember the cheers that went up every time a bocker or a squit dropeed a pile of plates :lol:
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Urgh-My-Pancreas wrote:i like the idea of the breakfast club too... did anyone ever go as far to (and i quote) "blaze up" and do some ultra-cool 80s dance-moves to Simple Minds?
i am somewhat doubtful :P
they have a breakfast club thing at my current school, it's lovely, i can have a cup of tea and a croissant whist i'm on prefect duty!

from what everyone's saying it sounds like there's a disco every weekend... am i correct?

and thankyou still to everyone for all your info so far, it's been a great help!

xx idgie xx

No, we didn't do any dance moves, cool or not!

I don't think there's a disco every weekend now - I think they are restricted - everyone was getting too drunk!

And Shine Jesus Shine is awful - even Kendrick says that if he knew it was going to be so famous, he would have taken longer over it... Some worship songs are pretty good in the right settings, but they should never be played on an organ and it should in informal settings etc...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
MKM
Grecian

Re:

Post by MKM »

Angela Woodford wrote: Deeply, deeply did I regret at Sunday School that book of choruses called "Golden Bells"! Did anyone else have to suffer from this selection of choruses to which we had also to perform "actions"? Or was the Golden Bells Hymnal a South London Evangelical speciality?

Do you want a Pilot?
Signal then to Jesus!
Do you want a Pilot?
Bid Him come aboard!
For He will safely guide
Across the ocean wide
Until we reach at last
The Heav'nly Harbour!!!

Several hundred of this sort of thing, sung with actions and slightly out-of-tune piano!
We used to sing that one in the CSSM (Children's Special Services Mission) tent on Plumstead Common. Except that (not knowing Gilbert & Sullivan had got there first) we substituted pirate for pilot.

Happy days!
Last edited by MKM on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

I think the discos are once every 3 weeks - I'm pretty sure the Saturdays go on a Film/Disco/In House rotation.

Course, I never go to anything like that, being a canvas head...
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
midget
Button Grecian

Re: Re:

Post by midget »

MKM wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote: Deeply, deeply did I regret at Sunday School that book of choruses called "Golden Bells"! Did anyone else have to suffer from this selection of choruses to which we had also to perform "actions"? Or was the Golden Bells Hymnal a South London Evangelical speciality?

Do you want a Pilot?
Signal then to Jesus!
Do you want a Pilot?
Bid Him come aboard!
For He will safely guide
Across the ocean wide
Until we reach at last
The Heav'nly Harbour!!!

Several hundred of this sort of thing, sung with actions and slightly out-of-tune piano!
We used to sing that one in the CSSM (Children's Special Services Mission) tent on Plumstead Common. Except that (not knowing Gilbert & Sullivan had got there first) we substituted pirate for pilot.

Happy days!
I can see that I was fortunate, my parents (nominally Methodist) were not church-goers.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote: whilst they decided that 1 7 year old probably shouldn't listen to Genesis...
WHAT ????????????/

SACRILEDGE !!!!!!!!

At the tender sexy young age of 60 I STILL adore listening to Genesis, Phil Collins, Led Zep., ELP., Clapton Clapton and even more Clapton. This list is endless.

Someone at CH in your days wanted to get their prioroties right, Matt.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Lightbulbbroken
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Lightbulbbroken »

sjs really is a horrible song. everyone loves it here, loads of tired "worship" hyms.
I went to a catholic primary school, and learnt loads of really old ones there.
I hate the way 'modern' church schools change the words to make them easier to understand-not, because they never fit the tune :x
[size=85]You can also find Pan on Facebook, Myspace and Gaia should you so choose. :D [/size]
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

I like both traditional and modern ones. My library is filled with both Kendrick, Redman etc., and things like Love Divine, Lo! He Comes, etc. But I agree with you about the word-changing, Pan - along with the way people dismiss the KJV as if it's another language. It's actually really nice! The GNB gets on my nerves a lot, too.
Kate
2nd Former

Post by Kate »

I seem to remember that stewed-green plastic mug-tea was an acquired taste!

As for the breakfast club, it was an informal gathering of (generally very busy) seniors who were up and about quite early - I'm not sure quite how it started but I seem to remember several members of it being quite fond of porridge! What I'd be interested to know is what the current hash brown record is these days??!!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

KJV - the only version worth reading. Adds a feeling of importance, tradition and history.

Matt Redman - OK (and got me through a very tough time in life many years ago)
Kendrick - OK in VERY small doses......

The older dramatic stuff, with a good organ accompaniment - heaven! i.e. Lo! He comes....etc.

Oh, and let NOT "just" praise the Lord - let's do other stuff too! (You'll get that one if you've ever heard Evo prayers)

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Amen to that Julian...

And Kate, lots of people did eat porridge... I think I once had 21 hash browns in one sitting...

J.R., fortunately, the study next to me had a person who understood a higher class of music and as he had the biggest stereo, we won!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Urgh-My-Pancreas
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Urgh-My-Pancreas »

is it important to know a lot of hyms?
the only ones we did at my priamary school were modern ones that made christianity fun for kids... stuff about how great elephants are- oh and by the way god created them! stuff like that. and my current school is just a normal state-school with songs only sung if you choose to go to "pop choir"
should i start lerning stuff like 'shine jesus shine' now?
they sound like something that is very memorable...
be excellent to one another!
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Urgh-My-Pancreas wrote:is it important to know a lot of hyms?
the only ones we did at my priamary school were modern ones that made christianity fun for kids... stuff about how great elephants are- oh and by the way god created them! stuff like that. and my current school is just a normal state-school with songs only sung if you choose to go to "pop choir"
should i start lerning stuff like 'shine jesus shine' now?
they sound like something that is very memorable...
It's a good idea to learn the CH hotlist, which is basically the Foundation Hymn, I Vow To Thee My Country, Jerusalem, all that jazz. You don't have to, but it's more fun belting it when you don't have to look the words up. lol

You can learn SJS & co. if you want, but the first ones you do ought to be the F.H., Jerusalem, the Libera Me Domine and the Hallelujah Chorus. All of which I have on my Laptop and can MSN to you at some point.

J
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Eruresto wrote: the Libera Me Domine
Faure? I remember Peter Allwood teaching that to an uncomprehending school back in 1986-ish. Choir sing first, then everyone repeat. Senior boys houses were most fun to watch, trying to remain cool whilst singing classical music. Good to hear it's still being churned out ... Personally, I think you all ought to be made to learn Veni Creator Spiritus in Latin using plainchant off by heart.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.