Becomming a New Dep

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Becomming a New Dep

Post by englishangel »

Just what you would do at home, hang with your friends, after prep and meals and all the other stuff.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Well, as an example, this is going to be my weekend:

Periods 1-2: German
Period 3: Free
Periods 4-5: English

Then I'm going on a cycle-ride/run with Finn to train him ready for steeplechase, and then it's off to Horsham to get some eggs and bacon for my my jaunt up Sharpenhurst to watch the sunrise Sunday Morning. Then it's film night - because I AM going to that (!) - or, alternatively, lots of tea - with Deps beds at midnight. The house will have food (doughnuts and cookies, ice cream etc.), and deps will have beer. Except I won't; I'll be making sure I'm up in bed before that.

Then Sunday, I'm going up Sharpenhurst, frying bacon and eggs, watching the sunrise (if any staff are reading, I have permission) and making notes for Operation: Sharpquest (scout incident hike this term). Then it's Second Breakfast (assuming I get back to CH by 8:30) with Pain Au Chocolates. It's choice chapel this week, but it's a bit odd, as neither is wholly traditional. The morning service, at 10:30, may be in Housey, but it has Shine Jesus Shine (tunage, especially with a Bawtree-fed organ) God Is Love, His The Care and Lord Of The Years. Then the evening service is a 6:30 one with Taize music and communion, in civvies - I couldn't decide which was better so I'm going to both. After that, I might go round the school on Phoebus for a bit till lunch, and then Scouts is at 2 till 4.

What fun!!!
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

typical weekend for me was
lessons.....then lunch which is nether really any good. Then one of many things Horsham for a wonder, watching breakfast at tiffany's for the gazelienth time or some other film, going to disturb someone who was attempting to work, or my favourite in Mich term....watching the 1st xv with a cup of tea
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Kate
2nd Former

Post by Kate »

I seem to recall my average weekend went something like....

Sat: Lessons, early lunch before hockey/tennis,tea (sausage,chips,beans), chat in common room, pint or two in club, bed.
Sun: Lie in or morning chapel, band practice, lunch (ploughmans!), watch eastenders omnibus, evening chapel/prep, visit friends in other houses, bed.
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Actually, I like Saturday lunch!
Oh, and Sundays is in house, unless you go to C.U.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Lightbulbbroken
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Lightbulbbroken »

C.U?
[size=85]You can also find Pan on Facebook, Myspace and Gaia should you so choose. :D [/size]
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

My typical weekend, although I'm sure it's changed since 1992!

Saturday - lesson till around 12.30pm.
Lunch, followed by Rugby (yes, it's important enough to have a capital!) in the afternoon.
Tea in dining hall around 6pm. Couple of drinks before roll-call, then out to the disco around 8.30pm. Back to house for late roll-call/lights-out.

Sunday - breakfast (continental - croissants etc. - a big innovation in my day!), voluntary morning chapel, depending on how motivated I was. Afternoon was usually either a 25 or 50 mile cycle ride with the cycle touring club/Frank Pattison.
Choir practice 5pm. Chapel at 6.30pm.
Sunday evening was usually a video (VHS!) or catching up on some prep.....

I remember never having a spare moment - I was certainly never bored, and always had more than enough to keep busy with....

Life's still like that - it just costs more now!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

All I can say is how much times have changed!!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

VOLUNTARY Chapel on a Sunday ?

DRINKS on a Saturday evening ?

MY-My how times have REALLY changed.

Wotcha reckon John Hop. ???
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

J.R. wrote: MY-My how times have REALLY changed.
Changed! I'd call it 'completely unrecognisable'
And JT is talking about 1992...
I think I spent my Sunday afternoons running double miles...
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Sunday mornings -

Post by Angela Woodford »

Sunday mornings! I can never forget!

OK, we could get up at 0800hrs. That was luxury. Breakfast was in House. The tablecloths were pretty stained by then - they smelled worse in the Dayroom. A tin urn of white coffee (or was it tea? The urn was pre-flavoured), for our melamine mugs. Inevitably there were Rice Krispies, which escaped the big white bowls further to ornament the cloths, then a large tin platter of slices of a strange ham. I have never again seen meat like it - half solid white fat, half coarse textured ham with a weird greenish tinge. White bread, pearly whitish marge and a tin jug of marmalade.

I can see it in my mind's eye so vividly.

Croissants, forsooth!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Sunday mornings -

Post by Katharine »

Angela Woodford wrote:Sunday mornings! I can never forget!

OK, we could get up at 0800hrs. That was luxury. Breakfast was in House. The tablecloths were pretty stained by then - they smelled worse in the Dayroom. A tin urn of white coffee (or was it tea? The urn was pre-flavoured), for our melamine mugs. Inevitably there were Rice Krispies, which escaped the big white bowls further to ornament the cloths, then a large tin platter of slices of a strange ham. I have never again seen meat like it - half solid white fat, half coarse textured ham with a weird greenish tinge. White bread, pearly whitish marge and a tin jug of marmalade.

Croissants, forsooth!
I don't think there was ever any coffee in an urn in my day. The only coffee we ever had was in the kitchen in the evening when we were senior enough. Do you think the tea urns were ever washed out?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Sunday mornings -

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:Sunday mornings! I can never forget!

Croissants, forsooth!
I don't think there was ever any coffee in an urn in my day. The only coffee we ever had was in the kitchen in the evening when we were senior enough. Do you think the tea urns were ever washed out?
I seem to remember we rose on Sunday at 0815 (or perhaps that was just 2's.) Sunday breakfast was the only one we had in house, weekdays was in the dining hall. I think coffee came in just after I started at Hertford (1966 or threabouts) and it came in the same urn as was used for tea at every other meal so it was definitely more like t-offee.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I remember weekends at Hertford being so dull. That was when home-sickness almost invariably set in. Horsham was a different kettle of fish. Sat am is always lessons, then sport etc in the afternoon, visiting friends, films or dances in the evening or a long visit to the Grecian's Club (how do you manage without that now??). Ironically Sundays, despite being allocated as a day of rest within the Christian tradition, were usually my busiest day. Chapel (or a lie-in as Grecian), band practice, lunch (never had lunch at the Grecian's Club on a Sunday because of band despite being on the committee), theatre rehearsals after lunch, choir practice, tea, evening chapel, more rehearsals (plus a bit of prep). You certainly won't be bored, UMP. Just think that not that long ago (ie. when I was there) we had laundry washing and compulsory letter writing home at weekends to keep us occupied.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Urgh-My-Pancreas
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Urgh-My-Pancreas »

i think all i can say is blimey!
this morning i was in a foul mood because i had been woken up at 10:30, whic at the moment is far too early for a saturday! :P
at least i can see everyone drinks their own weight in tea, which is something i'm particularly fond of, tea makes the world a better place!
my day today was meant to be a complete revision day for my Physics exam on monday... instead i dithered around the house in my pyjamas, drank tea, got dressed about 1, drank tea, went for a walk for a few hours, came back watched harry potter with a nice big cup of tea and now i'm here... with a cup of tea :mrgreen:
hmmm... oh well sounds splendid all the same! spesh the film night thing and all that. are there still many video players around? back to the future and starwars are only availiable to me on VHS...

is volunatry chapel common? being someone who is not deeply religious that sounds tempting...
be excellent to one another!