Non-members, non-posting members and general coyness

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Thanks Again, Jeeves

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Jeeves, thanks for your latest posting. Was it written by the same bloke? :) Joking aside it was written with grace and I appreciate it. In return I'll grant you that 'smug & self-satisfied' might just have been a minor misinterpretation on my part. Sorry, finger slipped on font size. Only seems to happen when apologising or admitting possibility of error, don't know why...

:drinkers:
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

By the way, I'd like to know how to split a quote while keeping the white boxes, and how to include more than one quote in one posting... Barely computer literate, sorry... :oops:

[From JT, so that you can view the source - click Edit]
Here's an example:-
JTaylor wrote:Here's the first part of the quote
And then
JTaylor wrote:And here's the second part of the quote
And then here's a quote within a quote:-
First Person wrote:The first person quote
Second Person wrote:And then the quote within the quote
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Well, I know that I am one of the most frequent posters, but the reason why I don't feel that I have any problems on here is because I have used many Internet fora before and almost without exception, have really enjoyed being a part of this forum.

I also think that YOBs have become increasingly involved within the CHA in the last couple of eyars which is to be applauded...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:Well, I know that I am one of the most frequent posters, but the reason why I don't feel that I have any problems on here is because I have used many Internet fora before and almost without exception, have really enjoyed being a part of this forum.

I also think that YOBs have become increasingly involved within the CHA in the last couple of eyars which is to be applauded...
Is that ears or years, Matt ?? :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

J.R. wrote:
Great Plum wrote:Well, I know that I am one of the most frequent posters, but the reason why I don't feel that I have any problems on here is because I have used many Internet fora before and almost without exception, have really enjoyed being a part of this forum.

Is that ears or years, Matt ?? :oops:
Sounds like a CSLewis character to me.

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I agree with Matt. I'm sure that the Forum has been a significant factor in bringing onboard younger Old Blues who are now engaging with the CHA in a way in which previous generations of young or recent leavers did not engage with the CH Club. And we all use the Forum as and when, according to our circumstances, inclinations, needs .... nothing particularly significant (or sinister) in that. It's a place where I feel 'at home' when I want to be there.
So thank you, Julian!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

kerrensimmonds wrote:So thank you, Julian!
Kerren
Why thank you, Kerren!

I've kept out of this one until now, not really wanting to take part!

I guess the forum's turned into something I never really anticipated - a general internet "drop-in-centre" or "home" for a diverse and fascinating group of people, with one thing in common.

When I set it up, I hoped that it would begin to bridge the gap between Blues and Old Blues, primarily through the life/career support and advice.
It's actually turned into a lot more than that in many ways, although I still can't fathom why the careers/support/advice side has never really taken off in a big way...

I'm so glad that so many enjoy reading and posting - I'm not personally suprised by the number of "lurkers" (apparantly this is the name for those who read, but don't post?) - but I find myself doing a lot this myself, not having time to post and take part, but still interested in who's doing/saying what!

I hope the forum continues to grow and develop, and I'm always open to suggestions for new sections, re-structures or enhancement - so if you think there's a way to engage a whole new group of Blues or Old Blues, then please do get in touch.

Cheers,

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jtaylor wrote:
kerrensimmonds wrote:So thank you, Julian!
Kerren
Why thank you, Kerren!

I guess the forum's turned into something I never really anticipated - a general internet "drop-in-centre" or "home" for a diverse and fascinating group of people, with one thing in common.
Cheers,

Julian
Sounds like something in the east end run by the Sally Army !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
matthew
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by matthew »

jtaylor wrote:When I set it up, I hoped that it would begin to bridge the gap between Blues and Old Blues, primarily through the life/career support and advice.
It's actually turned into a lot more than that in many ways, although I still can't fathom why the careers/support/advice side has never really taken off in a big way...
Oh, that's easily understood.

There are maybe a hundred or so people who are somewhat active on the forum at any one time. By somewhat active, I mean people who are reading posts and who would jump in if they felt they had something to say. But we're a fairly diverse bunch in almost every respect.

It's unsurprising that the most popular topics are those with the broadest appeal: aspects of life at CH, random discussion that could interest anyone, and general chatter that may seem cliquey to people who are new.

Careers and support threads tend to be a lot more specific: questions about specific universities, careers, situations, and places. So the chances of two or more people being active on the forum at the same time and interested in the same topic are smaller.

For the record, if anyone wants to know what Cambridge was like ten years ago, or about the IT industry in Toronto now, I'm happy to oblige. But I won't be posting to that effect every week.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I guess I was just expecting more requests for help/advice/support in those areas, and that then when members do join or return to the forum they'd be able to help out.
It seems Old Blues are more self-sufficient than I thought - maybe I shouldn't be surprised by that, given CH!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Ash
UF (Upper Fourth)

Re: Non-members, non-posting members and general coyness

Post by Ash »

Ajarn Philip wrote:1. Why aren't there more members? Is it because the internet forum is still a minority interest, or has already become over-used and boring?
Its all about web 2.0 these days... Facebook/Myspace, etc..... Forums seem a little old fashioned.. Maybe
Ajarn Philip wrote:2. Why are there such a large number of members who look (apparently regularly), but don't touch?
This is the question that really intrigues me, and I'll reiterate that I'm genuinely not having a go, but I can't imagine finding this forum and keeping my mouth shut.
Probably wanting to forget everything about CH!!!!!! maybe being reminded brings back too much pain ;)
Ajarn Philip wrote:3. Why are so many members, whether regular posters or not, cautious about revealing their names? If it's an internet thing (sorry, but I'm not an experienced "webber"...), then I want to know if I'm being daft putting my real name and general whereabouts on here, if it's not - why be coy?
My name's Ash Whiting.... ;)
MAINE A/B 1981 - 1986

BRING BACK BAKER
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Non-members, non-posting members and general coyness

Post by sejintenej »

Ajarn Philip wrote:3. Why are so many members, whether regular posters or not, cautious about revealing their names? If it's an internet thing (sorry, but I'm not an experienced "webber"...), then I want to know if I'm being daft putting my real name and general whereabouts on here, if it's not - why be coy?

Unfortunately there are a lot of pretty strange people out there and it is far from beyond the bounds of possibility that one of them will object to the most innocuous remark, making his/her views known to you personally with perhaps a gallon of lit petrol through your letterbox / a brick through the back of your head ..... Even worse we are tarred with being toffs from a public schol and therefore prime meat for roasting.

Logic, common sense etc doesn't come into it with peeps who can ride across a playground and shoot an 11 year old just for the hell of it.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I thought we were talking about Old Blues? 'Pretty strange..' (sometimes), yes. But I can't imagine an OB doing any of those awful things.....Blimey. What would Edward VI say?
Kerren Simmonds
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I thought we were talking about Old Blues? 'Pretty strange..' (sometimes), yes. But I can't imagine an OB doing any of those awful things.....Blimey. What would Edward VI say?
This is an open forum - anyone from anywhere can read the posts. It doesn't have to be an Old Blue who takes objection to a posting.

As for OBs doing those awful things - ISTR that when Bristol University was circulating OBs about their lifestyle they found that there were some OBs then currently "guests of HM". They say a leopard doesn't change its spots and we've heard the histories of a few "leopards".
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Blimey again. I wonder if there are any female OB's who are guests of HM. I couldn't beleeve it.....
Human nature being what it is - violent crime could be in any person one knows and loves (see that chap who was sent down yesterday for abusing children, to the total amazement of his family....though the evidence was overwhelming). But I have a (I suppose naieve) belief that there is honour in Old Blues. In fact two years ago I had a male Old Blue, who I had never met before, to stay in my house overnight after the Carol Concert. He expressed gratitude as well as an element of surprise at my trustingness. But he and his address and career/family details were in 'Who's Blue 1997', so I didn't give it a second thought.
Perhaps I had better go and seal the letterbox and change my phone number and...
(PS how can anyone, either OB legitimately on this site or a non OB browsing it for malign purposes, find out my address, or phone number, or whatever.....?)
Signed - Panic Struck of not-Tunbridge Wells
Kerren Simmonds