Bluecoat School Photos

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

JulesAtCumbria
2nd Former

Bluecoat School Photos

Post by JulesAtCumbria »

There has been a thread with this title previously, but it's not been alive for nigh-on 20 years, so I thought a re-fresh might be a good idea!

During my family research I was excited to discover that two of my forebears attended CH (Newgate Street) in the 1860s. I don't have any pics of them in their Housey Dress, but I do have one of their younger brother Julian (after whom I am named!) and he's clearly not at CH but has a Bluecoat uniform on. If the pic uploads correctly you can see these boys have dark stockings, rather than yellow, and some sort of undercoat (as Housey boys used to wear prior to the 1800s).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81125911@ ... u1o3532aNE

Now, I've tried researching Bluecoat schools that were open at that time, probably located in the south-east of England (the family lived in Northamptonshire at the time), but trying to track down pictures of their uniform in the 1860s has drawn a blank.

Any pointers gratefully received!
Julian Berkeley
Th.B 1969-77
RobinKinloch
2nd Former

Re: Bluecoat School Photos

Post by RobinKinloch »

The Guuardian has an article today stating that CH was the first English school to have a uniform. Is this correct?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Bluecoat School Photos

Post by Katharine »

RobinKinloch wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:50 pm The Guuardian has an article today stating that CH was the first English school to have a uniform. Is this correct?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... m-any-more

CH uniform mentioned but no photo of it! Is this a first?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965