REAR-ADMIRAL TOM BRADBURY, CB, OLD BLUE

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

REAR-ADMIRAL TOM BRADBURY, CB, OLD BLUE

Post by Foureyes »

Interesting obit in today's (30 Jan 2022) Daily Telegraph on Tom Bradbury (LaA 34-39). Brought up in Walworth, his grandfather was a horse tram driver, his father a labourer and his mother a pickled onion seller. He won an LCC scholarship to C.H. and the rest was a steady rise to the top of his profession. No disrespect to his family background, but that, for me, is what C.H. is all about.
David :shock:
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Re: REAR-ADMIRAL TOM BRADBURY, CB, OLD BLUE

Post by loringa »

Foureyes wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:00 pm Interesting obit in today's (30 Jan 2022) Daily Telegraph on Tom Bradbury (LaA 34-39). Brought up in Walworth, his grandfather was a horse tram driver, his father a labourer and his mother a pickled onion seller. He won an LCC scholarship to C.H. and the rest was a steady rise to the top of his profession. No disrespect to his family background, but that, for me, is what C.H. is all about.
David :shock:
I couldn't agree more David, exactly the sort of person for whom the foundation exists, however may full fee payers it may admit! I met him once when he was the Chairman of my Admiralty Interview Board and he was kind to me. He was a friend of my father's, though 10 years his senior. A good life well lived I think. Unfortunately, not being a Torygraph reader I can't access his obituary which doesn't appear to be available elsewhere.
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

Thanks for posting this, a nice reminder of the good done by the Foundation before it was sullied in the 1970s onwards.

In terms of that newspaper's paywall. It is a nuisance, but it has a right to set up its website as it sees fit, there is no such thing as a free lunch. However, I have found that if you view the newspaper on an iPhone, it is possible to download as a file a story (e.g. an obituary or a news item) into 'downloads' and then view it as a text file. Presumably this feature is known to the paper's owners and they are happy with it.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

MrEd wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:37 am In terms of that newspaper's paywall. It is a nuisance, but it has a right to set up its website as it sees fit, there is no such thing as a free lunch. However, I have found that if you view the newspaper on an iPhone, it is possible to download as a file a story (e.g. an obituary or a news item) into 'downloads' and then view it as a text file. Presumably this feature is known to the paper's owners and they are happy with it.
Your way is probably more ethical than mine of using 12ft ladder, see https://12ft.io/
Here is the obituary https://12ft.io/proxy?&q=https%3A%2F%2F ... action-sea
CH did help him at the start of his career, nice to see it recorded.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

Thank you Katherine, a wonderful obituary. He was even on Warspite, and took an exam upstairs in a Brighton pub, clearly no harm done.