Christ's Hospital Singers LP

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

simongibbs
3rd Former

Christ's Hospital Singers LP

Post by simongibbs »

A few years ago I posted a video of the LP “Christ’s Hospital Singers” to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmaDrwn5sbY&t=19s.

I have just received a request from a musician and music researcher who discovered the video.

He is working on a project to compile and publish a complete discography of the “Miserere” by Gregorio Allegri, one of the tracks featured on the LP. (This seems rather a niche pastime, but each to their own.)

To quote from his message: “This project started a few years ago when I provided a number of different recordings to my church choir so that the singers could listen to a variety of performances. I realised I had rather a lot of different recordings – and at the same time was looking for a reason to test a database prototype I’d been designing. Then we had the first lockdown, and in need of something to keep myself sane, I decided that I would hunt down every single possible recording of the work and start this crazy project. I would also set out to obtain a copy of every single recording if possible. I’ve made some amazing discoveries – including some rare recordings from the US that were previously undiscovered.”

He is looking for any information about the CH recording. One of the aspects of the website he is building will be to try and find people involved in original recordings and document their experiences.

The LP was apparently recorded in 1978, before my time. The sleeve notes state the Miserere was performed by The A Cappella Choir and the Semi-Chorus was Andrew March, Patrick Castledine, Andrew Steane, Edmond Rose and Rhodri Britton.

Is anyone able to provide any information on the recording? If so, if you message me I will give you the contact details of the musician.
ColA25
2nd Former

Re: Christ's Hospital Singers LP

Post by ColA25 »

Rhodri Britton is still singing professionally, I found him on FaceBook and sent a link to this thread - let's see if he replies.
Phil Naylor
BaB17 / ColA25
1971-77
JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by JamesF35 »

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party!

Thanks for posting that Youtube link. It's very many years since I last listened to that LP (which I once owned a copy of in the dim and distant past). It really is quite a good recording isn't it?

I was one of the Chapel Choir leaders in 1978 when the recording was made and I'm credited on the sleeve. I remember recording it. The young Andrew March really did have a beautiful voice. It all brings back some fond memories, especially singing the 'Lamentations . .' under Tom Jeffers. We all loved singing with him.

I nearly didn't sing in the A Capella recording of the Miserere. I'd had a bit of a row with John Shippen over coming back to do a final recording after lunch on that day. I was committed to going off on a CCF trip that afternoon and I didn't want to miss it so I asked him why we couldn't just press on and do the final recording before going to lunch. He didn't like me questioning his decision and was quite derisory in his response. After everyone else had gone I tackled him on this and told him that I didn't think he should have spoken to me in the way he did in front of the choir. Needless to say he was unrepentant so I walked out and told him I had other things to do and wouldn't be back after lunch. Malcolm McKelvey had overheard our exchange and came to see me in the dining hall just after. He was extremely apologetic on John Shippen's behalf and agreed that he shouldn't have spoken to me in that way. He actually begged me to return to sing after lunch and offered to personally drive me out to join the CCF activity on the South Downs once the recording was complete. Malcolm was such a nice chap and of course I couldn't refuse his offer. I never spoke to Shippen again before I left the school at the end of that term.

I'm still singing at the age of 63 and have been all my life. Not professionally like Rhodri but I've sung in some pretty good choirs. It's amazing that the joy of singing which started at CH has continued to be a joyous passtime throughout my life. I'll be with my current choir singing the weekend services at Hereford Cathedral on 29/30 October. If there are any OBs in the area who'd like to reminisce a bit about CH do come and find me after Saturday evensong.
JulesAtCumbria
2nd Former

Post by JulesAtCumbria »

JamesF35 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:26 am Malcolm was such a nice chap and of course I couldn't refuse his offer. I never spoke to Shippen again before I left the school at the end of that term.

I'm still singing at the age of 63 and have been all my life. Not professionally like Rhodri but I've sung in some pretty good choirs. It's amazing that the joy of singing which started at CH has continued to be a joyous passtime throughout my life. I'll be with my current choir singing the weekend services at Hereford Cathedral on 29/30 October. If there are any OBs in the area who'd like to reminisce a bit about CH do come and find me after Saturday evensong.
James - I couldn't agree more! Like you, I've sung in choirs all my life since CH. Sure, we're not like the Rhoddri Brittons and Michael Savages of this world, with terrific voices, who sing professionally, but what Malcolm, especially, and John gave us was a true love of singing. I've often thought of how the choir members of that time have gone off, pursuing their various lives, but adding so much to the choirs they've sung in across that time. What a legacy for MM!

Here's a Male Voice Choir pic from 1977 - can you see yourself there?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81125911@ ... ed-public/

Might work - might not - let me know!

JDS I have caught up with (mainly Scout-related, of course!) - in 2014 there was a gathering at Cartmel Racecourse, near his Cumbrian home, to celebrate his 70th birthday. It was great to meet up with folks I'd not seen in nigh-on 40 years as well as meeting some much newer Old Blues.

I really envy you singing in Hereford Cathedral - it is the most beautiful of cathedrals (Mappa Mundi there, if memory serves me right) and a wonderful setting for choral music. Thanks for posting on here - great to hear from you!
Julian Berkeley
Th.B 1969-77
SandysJ
2nd Former

Post by SandysJ »

Be great if you could put the names to the Choir in your photo please.
I sang in Chapel Choir 1970 to about 74 and I recognise most of the faces but left in 75.
I have done the world a favour and not carried on singing!
LHB 70-73, THA 73-75
dsm
3rd Former

Post by dsm »

I think I recognise Julian Berkeley, Clive Whitehead, Quintin Brown and Bill Biddell. Not sure about the spelling of some of them.
JulesAtCumbria
2nd Former

Post by JulesAtCumbria »

SandysJ wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:30 am Be great if you could put the names to the Choir in your photo please.
I sang in Chapel Choir 1970 to about 74 and I recognise most of the faces but left in 75.
I have done the world a favour and not carried on singing!
Haha, love that John!

As it happens I (thankfully) jotted some names down at the time cos there's no way I could remember them now!

Back L to R: Andrew Lane, Peter Larkins, Martin Turnbull, Jim Bishop, Mark Whitehead, Mark Hammond, Charlie Savage, Bill Bidell.

Front(ish) L to R: Simon Gillespie, Quentin Brown, Rhoddri Britton, Julian Berkeley (me!), Richard Robinson, Tim Stansfield, George ?, Mark Hill, Hywel Jones, Steve Clevedon.

See if that brings back any memories.
Julian Berkeley
Th.B 1969-77
JulesAtCumbria
2nd Former

Post by JulesAtCumbria »

dsm wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:35 pm I think I recognise Julian Berkeley, Clive Whitehead, Quintin Brown and Bill Biddell. Not sure about the spelling of some of them.
Daniel, you would have done better than me (tho I can just about recognise myself!).

Check out my reply to John Sandys, and all will be revealed.

Let us know your memories/involvement in the various choirs.
Julian Berkeley
Th.B 1969-77
JulesAtCumbria
2nd Former

Post by JulesAtCumbria »

While we're at it, do folks remember/have copies of these other two records from that period?

I especially remember singing on the 1971 one - Britten's "Missa Brevis" was challenging!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81125911@ ... ateposted/

Julian Berkeley
Th.B 1969-77