Telegraph article: Pupils at prestigious public school will receive lessons in 'white privilege'

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Telegraph article: Pupils at prestigious public school will receive lessons in 'white privilege'

Post by Otter »

I didn't realise there was originally a different meaning of the term "non-foundationer". I always understood it to mean a pupil who had a parent (or sometimes two) as a member of staff, and so slept at their own home on-site and did not board.
rockfreak
Grecian

Re: Telegraph article: Pupils at prestigious public school will receive lessons in 'white privilege'

Post by rockfreak »

Problems for black or Asian pupils living in the real world (as opposed to the fairyland occupied by ex-public schoolboys). Last week the Guardian ran a story quoting an Afro Caribbean mum who complained that her teenaged son had been stopped by the police and asked to justify himself no less than 30 times over the last few months. She said that he's becoming afraid to go out anywhere. Also, check out Alan Bennett in his book Keeping On Keeping On. During the course of filming The History Boys on location out of London he learned that the two Asian boys in the cast had been stopped by police at Euston station on their way home on no reasonable pretext that they could discern. When the police discovered that the two boys were cast members for the film they seemed more interested in that than any similarity to any suspect that the police might be looking for ("Someone answering your description, etc etc"). So Bennett accompanied one of the lads when he next went home via Euston. The lad was not stopped. Perhaps because he had an elderly white guy with him.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Otter says: "I didn't realise there was originally a different meaning of the term "non-foundationer". I always understood it to mean a pupil who had a parent (or sometimes two) as a member of staff, and so slept at their own home on-site and did not board."

The term 'non-foundationer' was originally applied to children of wealthy parents, who attended all classes, etc, but lived at home. In some cases the parents paid a fee to specific tutors for this privilege. It was only later that it was broadened to include the children of masters and other members of staff. Such children, although classified as educated at CH, did not strictly-speaking qualify to be Old Blues. This carried on until the 1970s when Diana Gould became president of the Old Blues Club, although she was actually a non-foundationer, her father having been a member of staff. She discussed this with the then Clerk and the distinction was abolished.

The problem for historians is that 'non-foundationers' were not listed on the roll, so that it is usually impossible to verify that so-and-so was actually educated at CH.

David :shock:
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:41 pm Problems for black or Asian pupils living in the real world (as opposed to the fairyland occupied by ex-public schoolboys). Last week the Guardian ran a story quoting an Afro Caribbean mum who complained that her teenaged son had been stopped by the police and asked to justify himself no less than 30 times over the last few months. She said that he's becoming afraid to go out anywhere. Also, check out Alan Bennett in his book Keeping On Keeping On. During the course of filming The History Boys on location out of London he learned that the two Asian boys in the cast had been stopped by police at Euston station on their way home on no reasonable pretext that they could discern. When the police discovered that the two boys were cast members for the film they seemed more interested in that than any similarity to any suspect that the police might be looking for ("Someone answering your description, etc etc"). So Bennett accompanied one of the lads when he next went home via Euston. The lad was not stopped. Perhaps because he had an elderly white guy with him.
So strange that rockfreak knows so much about the real world yet escaped the fairyland even though he is a product of a public school.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

POLICE EXTEND 'STOP AND SEARCH' TO CITY TRADERS

In order to stop a repeat of the 2007/2008 financial crash, the police are now making use of new powers to stop and search all those in the financial district. This is in response to public concern about the way that these people tanked the economy and then mugged the taxpayer for several billion quid in the way of bailouts.
One arrest has already been made. Banker David Brown of Essex (and before that France) was on his way home from his City office when a squad car screeched to a halt and several burly policemen jumped out, rammed him against a wall, spread his legs, and demanded to know why he was carrying such an expensive looking briefcase. He was then hauled off to the cop shop and thrown into a cell where he was kept without reasonable explanation. When he next saw his briefcase it had mysteriously acquired a nasty looking kitchen knife and two bags of heroin. Detective Inspector Fit'emup said: "We've got him bang to rights, This will do my arrest quotient no end of good when they next discuss promotions".
Banker Brown protested that he was a law-abiding citizen with no previous. His only transgression was posting obscure, rambling monologues on his old school website. But it cut no ice and DI Fit'emup said that he would be prosecuted under a new law which prohibited carrying expensive-looking briefcases across county lines.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:48 pm POLICE EXTEND 'STOP AND SEARCH' TO CITY TRADERS

In order to stop a repeat of the 2007/2008 financial crash, the police are now making use of new powers to stop and search all those in the financial district. This is in response to public concern about the way that these people tanked the economy and then mugged the taxpayer for several billion quid in the way of bailouts.
One arrest has already been made. Banker David Brown of Essex (and before that France) was on his way home from his City office when a squad car screeched to a halt and several burly policemen jumped out, rammed him against a wall, spread his legs, and demanded to know why he was carrying such an expensive looking briefcase. He was then hauled off to the cop shop and thrown into a cell where he was kept without reasonable explanation. When he next saw his briefcase it had mysteriously acquired a nasty looking kitchen knife and two bags of heroin. Detective Inspector Fit'emup said: "We've got him bang to rights, This will do my arrest quotient no end of good when they next discuss promotions".
Banker Brown protested that he was a law-abiding citizen with no previous. His only transgression was posting obscure, rambling monologues on his old school website. But it cut no ice and DI Fit'emup said that he would be prosecuted under a new law which prohibited carrying expensive-looking briefcases across county lines.
you'se got it wong matey. It wernt DI Fitemup wot dun it it were sarnt Emberson wot bust me figure up. Then they nicked me drugs and sent me to hospital were they put me on this mask because the peeler nicked me drugs. Legal, straight ou'a the docs desk they wos

By the way my office was tercera andar,1374Avenida Paulista. Bela Vista for almost all my last 20 years working life. You got the wrong city and it was too dangerous to carry a briefcase ;- :lol: On top of that I am a fully paid up, card carrying multiquoted member of Demon Local so be afarid You can trust a reporter / journalist to get it wrong
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

time please wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:18 pm So strange that rockfreak knows so much about the real world yet escaped the fairyland even though he is a product of a public school.
Nothing says working class hero quite as much as a product of a Public School employed as a music journalist! All those evenings in smoky bars surrounded by middle class students is clearly just what is required to be a mouthpiece for the poor and downtrodden. Forget the pits, shipyards and factories! In fact, if I recall correctly there is another loony leftie still hovering around the margins of mainstream politics who wasted his expensive education and worked briefly as a journo. Another mouthpiece for the disadvantaged who understands the working classes so well because he once worked as a union official though not, I understand, ever soiling his hands on the shop floor doing any actual work!
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

I would presume that a lot of the former pupils at CH knew a lot about the " real world ". We grew up post WW2 with PTSD rife amongst our parents, Some of us living in quite squalid accomodation, and very little money. I think that makes us experts regarding the real world.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

time please wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:54 am I would presume that a lot of the former pupils at CH knew a lot about the " real world ". We grew up post WW2 with PTSD rife amongst our parents, Some of us living in quite squalid accomodation, and very little money. I think that makes us experts regarding the real world.
I am sure that you do indeed and I accept that my exposure to what I suppose would now be called the economically disadvantaged is both recent and not something I had to endure in person. But you and Mr Redshaw, whatever your backgrounds and I wouldn't presume to speculate on these, both received the great benefits of an education at Christ's Hospital and thus were provided with the opportunity to make your own way in the world with all the benefits a decent education provides.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

CH was, at most, 7 years of someone's life, so unless they're 8, they will have some practical experience of a world outside of it. Given that magical realism is, as far as I can tell, just a literary style, that world is indeed a real one.

Of course, the "real world" has it's gatekeepers who, much like those who stand in judgement of what is or isn't working class, will always find a way of defining their experience as the real/true/authentic one, while others have apparently never lived in it and/or wouldn't last a day there.

I mean, whatever makes you happy and all that, but the four Yorkshireman attitude that hangs around it all like a bad smell is, to put it very gently, a bit tedious.

Anyway, as to the original post;
‘Pupils at one of Britain’s oldest schools are to be taught about “white privilege”, as it says that no progress can be made from “within a comfort zone”.
No argument with that, and I'd be curious to see how they go about putting people outside their comfort zone.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

scrub wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:58 pm CH was, at most, 7 years of someone's life, so unless they're 8, they will have some practical experience of a world outside of it. Given that magical realism is, as far as I can tell, just a literary style, that world is indeed a real one.
9 years of my life and of those of some contemporaries. If I had been cleverer it could have been 11 years.
As for experience before and during holidays damn all. A tiny village miles from anywhere and nearest person of my age about 5 miles and I knew a total of maybe a dozen, almost all retired.
White privilege? Only three other people (of whom I knew one) had been outside the immediate area of the village - he had been a Navy stoker in WWI

First job out of CH we had Sikhs, second job Indians, West Indians etc. I had not been brought up to see them as being different.
That said had a plumber here last week and I was able to greet him in Ga which shocked him - he is from Accra. No probs with foreigners - I "won one" when we won the world cup and she is still with me.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

loringa wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:49 pm
time please wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:54 am I would presume that a lot of the former pupils at CH knew a lot about the " real world ". We grew up post WW2 with PTSD rife amongst our parents, Some of us living in quite squalid accomodation, and very little money. I think that makes us experts regarding the real world.
I am sure that you do indeed and I accept that my exposure to what I suppose would now be called the economically disadvantaged is both recent and not something I had to endure in person. But you and Mr Redshaw, whatever your backgrounds and I wouldn't presume to speculate on these, both received the great benefits of an education at Christ's Hospital and thus were provided with the opportunity to make your own way in the world with all the benefits a decent education provides.
I think you possibly have misunderstood me. I totally agree with you. Mr Redshaw seems to think that he is the only person on this board who knows anything about poverty.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:41 pm Problems for black or Asian pupils living in the real world (as opposed to the fairyland occupied by ex-public schoolboys). Last week the Guardian ran a story quoting an Afro Caribbean mum who complained that her teenaged son had been stopped by the police and asked to justify himself no less than 30 times over the last few months. She said that he's becoming afraid to go out anywhere. Also, check out Alan Bennett in his book Keeping On Keeping On. During the course of filming The History Boys on location out of London he learned that the two Asian boys in the cast had been stopped by police at Euston station on their way home on no reasonable pretext that they could discern. When the police discovered that the two boys were cast members for the film they seemed more interested in that than any similarity to any suspect that the police might be looking for ("Someone answering your description, etc etc"). So Bennett accompanied one of the lads when he next went home via Euston. The lad was not stopped. Perhaps because he had an elderly white guy with him.
Is that what you live in, a fairyland...? Do you wear those little shoes with bells on...?

Asians have never really had a problem with police stop and searches, so i am curious to know more about that story. As i said, it's a ugly, clumsy, short sighted term, part of the racial politics feeding in from the US. My problems with it are far ranging. Part o it is what exactly constitutes white. Is it a white privilege, or a light-er skinned privilege? In which case, do certain minorities have a certain privilege with regards to others. I say as someone who is a swarthy looking dago sort with a big nose, who with a bit of a beard, could easily sneak into Mecca during the Hajj (I have yet to try that though. Watch this space!!).
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

scrub wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:58 pm CH was, at most, 7 years of someone's life, so unless they're 8, they will have some practical experience of a world outside of it. Given that magical realism is, as far as I can tell, just a literary style, that world is indeed a real one.

Of course, the "real world" has it's gatekeepers who, much like those who stand in judgement of what is or isn't working class, will always find a way of defining their experience as the real/true/authentic one, while others have apparently never lived in it and/or wouldn't last a day there.

I mean, whatever makes you happy and all that, but the four Yorkshireman attitude that hangs around it all like a bad smell is, to put it very gently, a bit tedious.

Anyway, as to the original post;
‘Pupils at one of Britain’s oldest schools are to be taught about “white privilege”, as it says that no progress can be made from “within a comfort zone”.
No argument with that, and I'd be curious to see how they go about putting people outside their comfort zone.
Sorry - you lost me with the four Yorkshiremen - what does it mean?

As for the 'comfort zone', what bl**dy comfort zone? What the hell is that meant to mean...?
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Pe.A wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:31 am Sorry - you lost me with the four Yorkshiremen - what does it mean?
Monty Python - "Eeee, we were so poor we used to ..." etc. :lol: