ANOTHER FAMOUS BUT FORGOTTEN OLD BLUE

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

ANOTHER FAMOUS BUT FORGOTTEN OLD BLUE

Post by Foureyes »

Current media reports concern the demolition of the Dorman Long tower at Middlesborough. That once world-famous steel firm was co-founded by an Old Blue Sir Arthur John Dorman, 1st Baronet, KBE (August 1848 – February 1931) (CH 1856-63). His greatest and most enduring monument, and one in which CH should take pride, is the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
David :shock:
rockfreak
Grecian

Re: ANOTHER FAMOUS BUT FORGOTTEN OLD BLUE

Post by rockfreak »

My father grew up in Middlesbrough (note correct spelling - don't worry, it's a common mistake) and worked at Dormon Longs in a clerical position for a while. It was the 1920s, he'd also done a short stint down the mines in Durham and then went off to lay pipes under the roads in Wales. Happily he also had the clerical experience so when he found himself unemployed in the great slump he moved south to Tottenham where his family had old friends and immediately managed to get a clerical job in local government. Middlesbrough was indeed a powerhouse in the old industrial age. He told me some interesting stories about the poverty back then. In his youth he was a good amateur footballer and during the slump the churches and youth clubs tried to keep the youngsters occupied. There was an unemployed youngsters football league and dad's team got to the final. It was to be played at Middlesbrough FC's ground. It was mid-winter, thick snow on the ground, cold as hell. They asked the Middlesbrough manager Peter McWilliam if they could postpone it to another date. McWilliam said no because the club needed it. So they went ahead but apparently finished with less than 11 a side. Dad told me that he was OK because some in their family had work, and food on the table but many others didn't and others in the team were just flaking out from the cold.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: ANOTHER FAMOUS BUT FORGOTTEN OLD BLUE

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 pm . So they went ahead but apparently finished with less than 11 a side. Dad told me that he was OK because some in their family had work, and food on the table but many others didn't and others in the team were just flaking out from the cold.
Belfast in the early fifties. Yes; it really as you describe.
As for the town - my spellcheck marks it as wrong!!!!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!