Old Blue Summer Visit 2021

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Andrew Thake
2nd Former

Old Blue Summer Visit 2021

Post by Andrew Thake »

Visiting my old school Christs Hospital with my wife Sharon for the first time since 1989 was a strange, emotional experience.

It partly felt strange because I had left my return visit for so long. I’d always been meaning to go back to Christs Hospital one day after I left, but it was one of those things that I kept putting off when Old Blues Day came around. Then I went to work abroad for 14 years and before you know it, 32 years had passed.

We went on one of the Old Blues Summer Visits organised by the Choba and the very helpful Gina Skillings.

The visit also felt strange as it felt like being transported back to 1989. Despite the new buildings (the Grecian buildings, the LARC and the Reception Centre) and a few changes (the trees on the Avenue were much shorter, no idea whether this was a long-term result of the October 1987 hurricane), Christs Hospital still looked like the Christs Hospital I knew.

Walking into the main Quadrangle brought home how fortunate I had been to spend 7 years there.

The Dining Room was exactly as I had remembered it. Some of the benches looked like the same ones that I had sat on 32 years ago. The centrepiece Antonio Verrio painting looked as magnificent as always. The Chapel, although under renovation, still had that ‘compact’ feel – my wife couldn’t believe that you could pack 800 pupils in there for services. And Big School and the Arches to either side still had that imposing feel of grandeur.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions you couldn’t go into most of the buildings (the Chapel, the Dining Room the Museum and Big School were the exceptions) but walking around the various Quadrangles, East Gun Copse and the Avenue brought back fond memories.

Also due to the Covid-19 and the visit happening out of term time, there were of course no pupils, so apart from the Old Blues (I reckon there were around 60 to 70 of us), some service staff, a few helpers and one teacher (of which more later), the whole place had a slightly surreal ghost town feel.

The people who were excellent were the volunteers at the Museum. The Museum had opened after I had left (1993 I think) and was part of the old Infirmary (which in CH’s wisdom has been renamed the Medical Centre – sorry I prefer Infirmary).

The museum volunteers were incredibly welcoming, helpful, polite and obviously passionate about their job. I wasn’t expecting it to be the highlight of my visit, but it was due to their enthusiasm. If I was marking them on one of my old school reports they would have got an A5. If you are an Old Blue is reading this and is planning on a return trip to CH, make sure you visit the Museum.

The only individual who was sub-standard was unfortunately the teacher I met (I’d give him a D2 grade). I remember on Old Blues Day, we were told by our Headmaster / Housemaster to be good mannered to any ex-pupils wandering the grounds. Unfortunately, this teacher was rude to both my wife and myself. He obviously hadn’t got the memo from the Headmaster. When I googled him later, I couldn’t believe he was a Houseparent (presumably 2021 CH terminology for a Housemaster/Housemistress).

However, putting aside my unfortunate encounter with this teacher, I was really pleased that I’d made the effort to go back to CH. I sometimes see on Facebook Old Blues debating each year whether to go and keep putting it off. All I would say is go. It doesn’t matter if like me you don’t recognise anyone else or no-one else you know is going – you’ll still have a great time. You’ll be pleased you made the effort.

There is a postscript to this story.

Later that day, my Mum died.

My Mum’s death, along with turning 50 this year, makes you think about legacy and wills. We don’t have children, so I always had the thought that I wanted to leave a significant portion of my will to Christ’s Hospital.

After reflection, I will be leaving a Legacy to the Museum. History was my favourite subject at Christ’s Hospital. It’s important that the history of Christ’s Hospital is preserved and chronicled for future generations. The volunteers at the Museum ‘get’ what Christ’s Hospital is about and what’s its core values are. I know the money will be put to good use.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Old Blue Summer Visit 2021

Post by Katharine »

Welcome to the Forum Andrew, and condolences on your Mum’s death.

Thank you for your very interesting post, you, of course, like the majority of Old Blues, have a school to return to. As a Hertford Old Blue I don’t, Yes my father, my brother and for a short time my niece were at Horsham I wasn’t. Can you tell me whether there is much about Hertford in the Museum? Sometimes we feel the forgotten Old Blues.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Katharine,
I accept that Hertford girls do not have a physical school to return to. But the boys of the pre-1902 period did not have a school to return to either, after the move to Horsham. These things happen.
I also hope that you do not feel that Hertford has been forgotten. I know of one male Old Blue who has been immersed in Hertford history for many months on a research project.
Incidentally, did you know that the Museum has recently unearthed some enormous scrapbooks, which were maintained at Hertford for many years? The anonymous Old Blue referred to above tells me that they make fascinating reading, are a mine of information and have greatly helped his research.
David :shock:
Andrew Thake
2nd Former

Post by Andrew Thake »

Dear Katharine,

I thought the Hertford era was well represented in the Museum, although I'm sure more can be done. Would be interesting what other Old Blues from the Hertford era think.

My feeling was that the curators/volunteers, whilst they have done an excellent job, could do with more support to ensure the museum's future.

Kind Regards

Andrew
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I see I’m going to have to visit the Museum.

David, I do know that a male OB has been immersed in Hertford history, and have helped where I can. I’d be interested in seeing the scrapbooks you mention, what time span do they cover?

I’m sorry if I sounded bitter this morning, unlike earlier years, I often feel a lone voice on this forum, and don’t have much to contribute at the moment.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965