Release Dates - please note

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

Release Dates - please note

Post by robert totterdell »

Dear All
I thought that it might be the appropriate time to remind people that some of the perpetrators of ‘sexual’ abuse at CH are due for release from prison.
As I understand it these are the dates:

Webb: March 11th 2021
Martin: July 2021
Burr: May 2022
Karim: April 2023
Dobbie: July 2024
Husband: December 2026

Thus, Mr Webb finishes his sentences tomorrow. He will have served nearly 3 years and 3 months in prison, along with some 9 months served from his trial in 2015 and whilst this will have been an immense burden on his mental health and well being it has been at enormous public expense and without true remorse or thought for the victims who have lived with, and still live with, even though they may try to ignore it, the consequences of what happened to them as young and incredibly innocent children within an institution which was supposed to care for them and whose paramount purpose was to provide an education for their future benefit and well-being.
Webb has received the most complaints or counts against him of any of the ‘offenders’; yet I suspect that there are more and, whilst some may consider that his issues were of less consequence than some of the others, they have had a very deep impact on the lives of many. I personally do not believe that Webb will be a danger to ‘society’ in his forthcoming years. I am unable to say why this is my feeling.
Martin is a different matter as, like Burr and unlike Webb, he remains exceptionally intelligent and from what I witnessed at his trial ‘arrogant and pompous’. Yet I suspect that he will be held in check by his family. He is exceptionally lucky that no other victim has come forward against him, and I can only say this from the evidence that was brought forward at his trial but was un-allowed to be presented to the jury as it would have been prejudicial to his case and a fair trial. Martin, for me from the evidence that I have gathered, both with his work in Britain and Kenya, was, and possibly is, in my opinion, a true Pedophile.
I will write on my perpetrator, Burr, nearer to his release, but I want to say, that whilst each of the offenders are guilty themselves of their offences, Christ’s Hospital still has to answer the question of why the perpetrators could do what they did and why the School, and by that I mean the senior officials at the school, did nothing to deal with the issues other than ‘attempting to cover up the issues for the benefit of certain employees and the school itself’?
This question must be answered and, with others, I believe that we have found a way forward to do so.
I once again ask all to consider if they have any valid input to the ‘listening exercise, being undertaken by Lia Shamada which was sponsored (at CH’s expense) by some Old Blues to try to get a balanced view of what happened. Her email and contact details are available on the forum.
I have written and re-written this several times and whilst contemplating what I should finally write I underwent the rather unenviable process of watching the original ‘Home Alone’ film on Film 4 tonight. It made me think of something: - in essence many, if not all, but I suspect all, were ‘home away’ when they came to CH. CH was our home for a substantial part of the year. Our colleagues became friends and to a point true family. For many, the vast majority, the school remained a secure, safe and trustworthy place. For some it became a living hell that influenced their opinion of authority, trust and values. That remains for life and is a life sentence. I am one of those.
Rob
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Release Dates - please note

Post by J.R. »

Thanks Rob.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.