Bring back proper rugby

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

rockfreak
Grecian

Bring back proper rugby

Post by rockfreak »

Having grown up in north London I always looked first for Saracens' result on a Saturday (I can remember when they played in a field in Southgate). But in later years I got fed up with their brand of machine forward play - motored by employing fat religious bigots from the Pacific Islands (who would have been kicked out of the game in Australia) and switched my interest to Harlequins who play a much more attractive style of rugby (Marcus Smith et al) and got BT Sport to get the full spectrum of the Gallagher Premiership.

This weekend saw terrific tries by Exeter Chiefs and Quins (the rugby equivalents of Ricky Villa's winning goal for Tottenham in the 1981 Cup Final) which revived my faith in watchable rugby union. I wonder if we're seeing a change of emphasis in the style of rugby? After all, Saracens got into trouble by overpaying for the services of, well, what?....fat religious bigots from the Pacific Islands to help score pushover tries?...I'm giving my atheist sentiments away here.

I got in touch with Harlequins press office to ask if they had any later-life record of Phil (WPC Davies), England centre in the 1950s and my science and Maths master at CH but having said they'd look into it there's been no further reply.

So anyway, keep throwing the ball around guys.
Florida Blue
2nd Former

Re: Bring back proper rugby

Post by Florida Blue »

I remember that field in Southgate where I worked briefly in the 50's. Cruising around on a moped during the lunch hour one day I noticed it, on Chase Side I think it was but may be wrong. I worked for a company headquartered in Tottenham within sight of the 'Spurs ground. (thought I'd throw that in as you mentioned Tottenham).

This thread inspired me to pull up some utube videos of old Rugby games and it does seem that there was more running & passing then & today there is more kicking however the videos were of game highlights only so that could explain it.

I took 1st. year chemistry under "Beaky" Davies and saw him play in the Calcutta Cup match at Twickenham after I left CH.
(Prep.B/MaB. 46-53)
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Yes, Chase Side is about right I think, Florida Blue.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Watched the Ireland vs Scotland match on Saturday (on TV, since you ask). A terrific game, but the goings-on in the scrum would have made Roman gladiators look like sissies!
David :shock:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Foureyes wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:16 pm Watched the Ireland vs Scotland match on Saturday (on TV, since you ask). A terrific game, but the goings-on in the scrum would have made Roman gladiators look like sissies!
David :shock:
I used to play for "Wanderers" on pitches like well prepared cricket pitches. Playing "at home" there was a convention that you did not fight a decent tackle and in return your fall was cushioned - we averaged a broken bone a fortnight but one game at home our middle of the back was off the pitch at the end for his third dislocation of the match! As a lock I had his 25 stone behind me - a bit more than at CH or my later team.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Good day for the girls. Our Six Nations rugby team ran in try after try against Italy, while Rachael Blackmore became the first woman (in tandem with her horse) to win the Grand National. It cheered me up as a Republican after having been subjected to pretty much news blitz-out about the Duke of Edinburgh. Hurray! Life goes on, even after the death of a royal.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I agree about the kicking today Florida Blue. The full backs alternatively kicking down each others throats for territory. But at some point you have to get a turnover. Can any knowledgeable rugger b*gger explain this tactical phenomenon?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Returning to the vexed subject of watchable rugby, I signed in to the Harlequins site to find a veritable plethora (I think that's what you call it) of posts from frustrated rugby fans (not the sexual sort) who are thoroughly fed up with not being able to understand today's game. I mentioned ages ago on another thread that if I'd put the ball into the scrum at CH the way it goes in now the whistle would have gone every time. Never straight - yet you still have to put it in straight into a line-out??!! Along with this anomaly came complaints about technical infringements at the breakdown. My own post on this subject led to a reply from a referee about what qualified "not rolling away". It stills seemed pretty technical. Something about having to let go if your opponent (on his feet) has made a genuine attempt to try and rip the ball. I asked if you needed a PhD to referee today. He laughed and said that it was a two-day course and, in his case, 30 years experience.

Another point from an erstwhile scrum half: The longer you leave a scrum before putting the ball in, the more chance the stupid b*ggers have to collapse it.
dsm
3rd Former

Post by dsm »

I’m with you on this one Freaky. What is the point of a scrum if you can more or less put the ball in to your second row??? As an ex Thorn B scrum half, I just don’t get it.