Britt or European

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: Britt or European

Post by Goatherd »

From Christ's Hospital G.A.T. Allan Revised by J.E. Morpurgo (p19)

....."The names of many of those individual benefactors who, in its first two centuries, followed the example of Crown and City, are recorded only in Christ's Hospital's archives and in its more detailed histories but one name, that of Erasmus Smith-he whose generosity was largely responsible for the great building-programmes of the late seventeenth and eighteeth centuries- has rare currency. Still to-day as they make their way up the School, progressing from form to form graced according to Christ's Hospital's unique nomenclature, most Blues would echo the mystification expressed more than a century ago by Leigh Hunt in his Autobiography.

The Upper Grammar School was divided into four classes or forms. The two under ones were called Little and Great Erasmus; .........We used to think the title of Erasmus taken from the great scholar of that name; but the sudden appearance of a portrait among us, bearing to be the likeness of a certain Erasmus Smith, Esq., shook us terribly in this opinion and was a hard trial of our gratitude. I believe he was a rich merchant and that the forms of Little and Greater Erasmus were really named after him."....... Did we ever really question where the name came from while we were there? I didn't!
Goatherd
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

Why is it that every time somebody posts a somewhat more lighthearted topic " rockfreak " feels obliged to turn it into politics ?

This was a topic started by me that I think concerns a lot of us who spent time at CH and now live in all four corners of the world. Brexit for us who live in Europe/Scandinavia is a nightmare I agree, but the topic is about where we belong. Not politics.

Rockfreak please stop it!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Politics is involved in much of our life whether we like it our not. The whole Brit or European thing has been taken up by the Tory Brexiteer tendency to try and demean the European part of our heritage. I imagine that the axing of the Erasmus scholarship exchange programme is part of that. In other words it's political.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:28 pm Politics is involved in much of our life whether we like it our not.
Back in the mists of time when the internet consisted generally of people who were honest I put up a very simple challenge;
"Nominate one politician who is and has always been totally honest"
I nominated that nordic UN Chairman who died in central Africa and was shouted down. Eventually it was decided that almost by definition politicians cannot be trusted.
There was a time when UK politicians might have helped themselves a bit but ensured that they helped the nation far more; those days are long gone as the MP's expenses scandal proved. If politicians are so bad what about their supporters?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:28 pm Politics is involved in much of our life whether we like it our not. The whole Brit or European thing has been taken up by the Tory Brexiteer tendency to try and demean the European part of our heritage. I imagine that the axing of the Erasmus scholarship exchange programme is part of that. In other words it's political.
That may well be, anything can be made political if you want it to be...bees, birds, butterflies etc etc. My post was not political it was purely about that some of us who have lived abroad for a long time have had a bit of a jolt and whereas we have thought of ourselves as European citizens or citizens of the world this has forced us to think twice about who and what we are. This will be quite apparent when I next arrive at Gatwick ( whenever that will be ) and at the passport control I presumably can quickly go through the UK citizens control while my wife and children will have to stand at wait for hours in the * others * queues. This will of course please the returning Benidorm plebs.

One of the best things about being part of the EU was that it made travel so easy. Driving to England was a dream. North of Sweden into Norway back into Sweden and drive down the west coast. Cross the bridge over to Denmark drive into Germany Holland Belgium and France and arrive at Calais. French police just waived you through. After that about 10m later actually came the the British Border Control. ( I understand why it was needed ) but it drove home the point that England did not want to be part of the EU.

I personally have values that were taught both by my parents and CH, good sound values I hope. But living abroad opens your eyes, it changes you and your values it makes you respect other cultures.

It is not political but just sad.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

time please wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:31 am
I wish we still had the 'thanks' button.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

loringa wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:19 pm
....whatever did happen to that...?
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:28 pm Politics is involved in much of our life whether we like it our not. The whole Brit or European thing has been taken up by the Tory Brexiteer tendency to try and demean the European part of our heritage. I imagine that the axing of the Erasmus scholarship exchange programme is part of that. In other words it's political.
That may well be, anything can be made political if you want it to be...bees, birds, butterflies etc etc. My post was not political it was purely about that some of us who have lived abroad for a long time have had a bit of a jolt and whereas we have thought of ourselves as European citizens or citizens of the world this has forced us to think twice about who and what we are. This will be quite apparent when I next arrive at Gatwick ( whenever that will be ) and at the passport control I presumably can quickly go through the UK citizens control while my wife and children will have to stand at wait for hours in the * others * queues. This will of course please the returning Benidorm plebs.

One of the best things about being part of the EU was that it made travel so easy. Driving to England was a dream. North of Sweden into Norway back into Sweden and drive down the west coast. Cross the bridge over to Denmark drive into Germany Holland Belgium and France and arrive at Calais. French police just waived you through. After that about 10m later actually came the the British Border Control. ( I understand why it was needed ) but it drove home the point that England did not want to be part of the EU.

I personally have values that were taught both by my parents and CH, good sound values I hope. But living abroad opens your eyes, it changes you and your values it makes you respect other cultures.

Very well put.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Pe.A wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:20 pm
loringa wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:19 pm
....whatever did happen to that...?
I think Julian mentioned in another area of the forum that the latest technical update did not allow the Thanks button.