Remembering 50 years ago...

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Remembering 50 years ago...

Post by Straz »

Fifty years ago I was in my second year at CH.
It had seemed a fairly normal day - getting up, marching to dining hall, breakfast, classes, and so on.
Then in the afternoon my world - and my brother's - was turned upside down when we learnt that our mother had died unexpectedly at home.
Our lives were never the same again.
But CH supported us at such a difficult time, with friends and masters rallying round.
For me it was Chris Nicholson - then a junior master in LHA - who was such a rock.
He was so caring, thoughtful and compassionate, helping me to rebuild my shattered life, and I know that I could never have got through such a terrible personal tragedy without him.
Thank you to everyone at CH who helped my brother (now sadly gone) and myself during that terrible time.
And, although he's no longer with us, thank you in particular to Chris Nicholson.
I will never ever forget how much he supported me during my years at CH and beyond.
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Remembering 50 years ago...

Post by Mid A 15 »

Straz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:07 am Fifty years ago I was in my second year at CH.
It had seemed a fairly normal day - getting up, marching to dining hall, breakfast, classes, and so on.
Then in the afternoon my world - and my brother's - was turned upside down when we learnt that our mother had died unexpectedly at home.
Our lives were never the same again.
But CH supported us at such a difficult time, with friends and masters rallying round.
For me it was Chris Nicholson - then a junior master in LHA - who was such a rock.
He was so caring, thoughtful and compassionate, helping me to rebuild my shattered life, and I know that I could never have got through such a terrible personal tragedy without him.
Thank you to everyone at CH who helped my brother (now sadly gone) and myself during that terrible time.
And, although he's no longer with us, thank you in particular to Chris Nicholson.
I will never ever forget how much he supported me during my years at CH and beyond.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I was in Mid A with Greg and remember still the sense of shock we all felt as the news spread through the House. I hope we helped him through it as much as we were able and am pleased, but in no way surprised from my dealings with him, that Chris 'Bomber' Nicholson was such a support to you.

RIP your mother and of course Greg.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Remembering 50 years ago...

Post by Katharine »

What a touching post, Paul. I hope you have been able to recall happy memories of your mother and brother today.

It is so good to read of caring, thoughtful masters.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965