CH Scouts

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: CH Scouts

Post by anniexf »

Katharine wrote:
I wonder whether it was always run by outsiders?
When I was a Guide (55-59) Miss Plint (PE / Games) ran my Company and Miss Nixon (Physics) the other.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

YadaYada wrote:What about the local Horsham scouts association?

Has anyone spoken to them and asked them for some advice/assistance?
I understand from the comments that a local scout leader has offered his/her assistance. The details of how much help and in what form were not given. What I have not seen any mention of is the local District Commissioner who, in theory at least, should be kept in the picture.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

From the facebook posts it sounds as though this has not even been discussed yet by the Group executive committee let alone the District Commissioner! Chris Brickel makes it sound like a fait accompli, however maybe he is greatly overstepping the mark. I also noticed that yesterday if you went on "the exploration society" website and clicked on the "schools" tab C.H was one of the school logos that came up - today it is no longer there ???
Last edited by CHDad on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

The fact that the school seems to be willing to pay someone to set up a 'rival' group before liaising with the local Scout fraternity shows a remarkable ignorance of the ethos of Scouting. If there are really so few people in the school who wish to be Scouts would it not be possible for them to be incorporated within a local Scout troup - good for local public relations too! There is a lot more to Scouting than expeditions which the school cannot afford to fund anyway. Does the school still run the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme - which also has a lot more to it than expeditions?! Surely to fund a new set-up would detract from that, unless it is aimed purely at the younger forms; by the time they are old enough for D of E the kids may feel that they have 'done it all'?!

Yes, Annie, I remember Miss Plint. Later the 1st company was run by Charmaine Bessemer, a lovely local lady. The only good thng on my final school report was to do with Guiding - I wish I could still find my school reports.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

our local scouts/cubs always fundraised to get extra funds to help cover the camps cost for those who either couldn't afford it, or had multiple children in the group. As well as fund raised for local charities.

I'm sure Bob a Job could be resurrected on site (I assume all the people living on site have been crb checked) or car washing/bag packing at the local sainsburys. In order to help pay for camps during the long summer holidays.

I've never thought that the school should pay for these activities.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I am still confused ------
Has the School asked, specifically, for this "Separate" organisation to be set up ?
If the problem with the current Scout Group is Funding --- then how will any other arrangement differ ?
If the problem is " Leadership Qualification" ---- will the proposed Leadership be of equal qualification, or not ?

I like others, do not use Facebook, I expect CH matters to be explained and discussed on this Forum.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I am still confused ------
Has the School asked, specifically, for this "Separate" organisation to be set up ?
If the problem with the current Scout Group is Funding --- then how will any other arrangement differ ?
If the problem is " Leadership Qualification" ---- will the proposed Leadership be of equal qualification, or not ?

I like others, do not use Facebook, I expect CH matters to be explained and discussed on this Forum.

Well asked, Neill !

As another 'Oldie' on this forum, I await further explanation.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

anniexf wrote:

When I was a Guide (55-59) Miss Plint (PE / Games) ran my Company and Miss Nixon (Physics) the other.

Oh yes, I remember Miss Plint, A young contrast to Miss Park as P.E teacher...In fact I've a photo somewhere of her sitting grinning with the Guides on the grass in the corner of the field in a circle round the annual campfire, such a nice kind lady.
gingerjess
2nd Former

Post by gingerjess »

From what I can gather, school have asked this company to come in and give ideas. Unfortunately, Chris's post on FB made it sound like it was all arranged and sorted...which has obviously started a lot of problems. I still have no idea why Scouts have not contacted other groups or tried to get more people involved. It almost seems like school just don't want a Scout group anymore and are looking at the option of getting a company in to run outdoor activities. We parents have been promised a letter home soon, so I will know more then.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I would think it quite proper for any Scout or Parent to ask the School if it is their intention to have no Scout Troop.
This might clarify the situation, and avoid rumours and confusion.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I would think it quite proper for any Scout or Parent to ask the School if it is their intention to have no Scout Troop.
This might clarify the situation, and avoid rumours and confusion.

Rumours and Confusion, Neill ???

I thought I only had to deal with that in football administration !!

(There go a flock of pink-pigs again !!)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

We had better not go into the subject of "Football Administration" --- with whatever shape of ball ! :(
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:We had better not go into the subject of "Football Administration" --- with whatever shape of ball ! :(

If you're referring to the odd-shaped ball lot, I can fully understand their problems.

As far as the FA is concerned, we could do a lot better without divine interferance from the bl00dy European cheats and money grabbers !
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:We had better not go into the subject of "Football Administration" --- with whatever shape of ball ! :(

If you're referring to the odd-shaped ball lot, I can fully understand their problems.

As far as the FA is concerned, we could do a lot better without divine interferance from the bl00dy European cheats and money grabbers !
I take it you refer to 'im wot ordered our players to not honour those who died to keep the furriners aht
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
J.R. wrote:

I take it you refer to 'im wot ordered our players to not honour those who died to keep the furriners aht

That's the fella' !!

Septic Blather, if memory serves !!