Richard Slater

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Richard Slater

Post by Fertii »

Am I right in thinking that the 20 anniversary of Richard's death is about now? Was anything done / is anything going to be done for the commemoration?
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Re: Richard Slater

Post by Fjgrogan »

Rick Slater died on 15 March 1990. I checked with my daughter who was in the school at the time and vividly remembers him. (she particularly remembers the date because it is the Ides of March!) I remember the article in the local newspaper with a picture of the flag at half mast and the headline 'A School Mourns'. The headmaster was out of the country at the time. As far as I am aware nothing was done to mark the anniversary - except in the hearts and minds of those who loved him. Are you aware that Rick's (then) girlfriend is a contributor to this forum?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Hands up, I didn't realise my cover had been blown. Damn!

The 20th anniversary of Richard's suicide was in March. I found it very hard this year, more than other years. 20 years seems such a long time and although the shock has diminished, the sadness is at times still palpable. Suicide has a horrible way of invading so many aspects of one's life even years down the line. I remembered him that day on Facebook and received some lovely messages from various CH friends. A public commemoration of sorts. I can't imagine that it would be on the school's radar. Most staff are gone from the school and I would suggest that the institution would not want to remember a dark cloud in its history. There's a plaque in the Chapel, as there are for other pupils who have died at school. I choose my words carefully writing about this subject. I have lived with this at a distance from CH for many years and am only starting to hear the stories of other people from that time now that I am reconnecting with long-lost friends. My understanding of events and reasons surrounding his death has developed over the years. I'm happy to discuss things with anyone though.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Of course, twenty years ago, I had mentally blocked out CH completely. I didn't want to remember those disastrous days, and knew nothing whatsoever about CH Horsham.

Then a mail-out letter arrived telling Old Blues about the death of Richard Slater. It ended - and I do remember this - with something like these words... "der... der... Chapel Service.... der,der, and the day ended not in sadness but with a feeling of triumph."

Couldn't believe it.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
gsjones
3rd Former

Post by gsjones »

I remember that day back in 1990 as I was in Geography with a clear view of that particular stretch.It's a day I will never forget even though I never knew him.A very sombre day indeed
AshDawson
2nd Former

Post by AshDawson »

I can still remember that day , even now 20 years on . It was a very sad day
Ma A 1983 - La B - La A 1991 Long time ago but I can still remember it!!!!!!!!!
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

Being called in at break to the chapel. Tongues guessing at what it was. That must have been particularly difficult for Dobbie and Poulton to tell us...

And that night someone put candles on the crossing and they burnt all night.

Sad times.

Ashley - is that you?
AshDawson
2nd Former

Post by AshDawson »

Fertii wrote:
Ashley - is that you?

Yea it is me!!!
Ma A 1983 - La B - La A 1991 Long time ago but I can still remember it!!!!!!!!!
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Just for my personal knowledge, was Richard Slater one of Puny Slater's sons? I remember PUny often on his bicycle and his othe rson, Julian but Richard odes not ring a bell.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

No Chaz, completely different family. Tim was the other son in the year above me (left 1989) and there was also a daughter who I think was called Naomi.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Yeah Tim was my year and Mr Slater's (language master) son and we left in summer 89.

I only heard about it from my mum who lives in Horsham so only ever got to hear the West Sussex County Times story.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Fertii wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:34 am Being called in at break to the chapel. Tongues guessing at what it was. That must have been particularly difficult for Dobbie and Poulton to tell us...

Sad times.
From my understanding, Poulton was abroad.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
rjscratton
2nd Former

Post by rjscratton »

Just posting to keep this thread alive as I remember dear Rick and sometimes he still pops into mind, even after all this time. He will only really die when we do.
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

rjscratton wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:58 pm Just posting to keep this thread alive as I remember dear Rick and sometimes he still pops into mind, even after all this time. He will only really die when we do.
That's really lovely to read.
I ended up watching Highway and the Remembrance service from 1989 the other day. Feels like a different world looking back on it. He won't age like the rest of us, eternally 18 years old.
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

jhopgood wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:26 pm
Fertii wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:34 am Being called in at break to the chapel. Tongues guessing at what it was. That must have been particularly difficult for Dobbie and Poulton to tell us...

Sad times.
From my understanding, Poulton was abroad.
I think Poulton was in Thailand, doing something with a school being set up over there. I'm assuming he was back for Rick's funeral though? Can't remember all the details.