Weeds or wildflowers?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Weeds or wildflowers?

Post by Katharine »

Yesterday driving home I thought that the grass verge looked beautiful with a multitude of yellow flowers. As I reached the area I saw they were dandelions and primroses. This made me wonder why we classify the dandelion as a weed, when it can look so pretty, but the primrose as a wildflower?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Weeds or wildflowers?

Post by Mid A 15 »

Katharine wrote:Yesterday driving home I thought that the grass verge looked beautiful with a multitude of yellow flowers. As I reached the area I saw they were dandelions and primroses. This made me wonder why we classify the dandelion as a weed, when it can look so pretty, but the primrose as a wildflower?
Good question.

I can only suggest that dandelions spread more than primroses and are considered a nuisance by those with a liking for pristine, bowling green like lawns.

Thus unwanted, nuisance and difficult to control flowers are defined as "weeds" whereas wanted flowers merit the description "flowers."
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Maybe it is to do with the rate or ease of propagation.
Weeds seem to get everywhere whilst flowers have more problems.
Mind you, I have seen olive trees and local palms growing out of cracks between rocks, and I wouldn't consider them as weeds.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It's like music and noise, to the guy with the headphones it's music, to the rest of us it's a b****y noise.

And daisies, fall somewhere between the two I suppose.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Surely the definition of a weed is "a plant in the wrong place".

Dandelion leaves are not only medicinal but a useful addition to a salad but, as someone wrote, you don't want it in the middle of a bowling green quality lawn.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

sejintenej wrote:Surely the definition of a weed is "a plant in the wrong place".

One of my A level assignments (post CH) was a study of weeds, and it began with the definition that a weed is a plant growing somewhere that it is not wanted.

Fast forward several decades: I am standing at a fence dispairing at the sight of 4 acres of cape weed, which is toxic to horses. Along comes non-horsey tenant, who exclaims, with big smile on her face, at the beautiful sight of the pretty yellow flowers

Dandelion leaves are not only medicinal but a useful addition to a salad but, as someone wrote, you don't want it in the middle of a bowling green quality lawn.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

................. and the BAD news, or GOOD news, depending on your point of view, is that because of the prolonged snow last winter, this year is going to be a BUMPER year for dandelions. Something to do with late germination.

I'm sure Richard Ruck will explain more in his alter-ego as Alan Titchmarsh ! :lol:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

I heard that because dandelions have such long roots, they were able to survive the freezing winter much better than other plants. There are certainly thousands everywhere here, though none in our "lawn", which receives devoted attention from the head gardener despite its minuscule size. :roll:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

We have lived in this house for 25 years, and we are stll removing primroses planted by the previous owners. They are fine on verges, but not where you have planted something else.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

midget wrote:We have lived in this house for 25 years, and we are stll removing primroses planted by the previous owners. They are fine on verges, but not where you have planted something else.
You're removing primroses????????????????????? Midget, how could you???????????????????????????????/

They are, of course, not a feature in our mediterranean climate. HOWEVER, one Saturday morning at Wistow Market I spotted a potted primrose on the stall run by The Lovely Margaret, our local herb grower, horse owner, wife of the patient person who teaches people, including my dd, how to drive a forklift truck, and generally delightful human being. As I hastened across the car park, I was pushed aside by The Gorgeous Vicky (Pom who sells exotic and very reasonably priced imported jewellery and fabrics) and another shopper, all three of us crying 'A PRIMROSE, A PRIMROSE'.

Margaret stood with a bemused expression on her face as the three of us caressed the pot, turning it this way and that to admire the flower from every angle and reminiscing about England in Springtime and bluebell woods. BLUEBELL WOODS. 'The Other Shopper' wanted to buy it for her father, and Vicky and I conceded that this was a cause worthy of our withdrawal from negotiations. I hope that he appreciated and enjoyed his beautiful present :) .
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I adore primroses. We have a lot on the roadside verges in MK, and in spring I will drive a different route just to see them. They really lift my spirits, especially after a gloomy winter.

I've also noticed a lot of dandelions this year, and was just thinking the other day that, weed or not, they make a splendid show against the green of the grass, especially when seen from a distance.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Perhaps we should start a group "Dandelions are not weeds, they are beautiful plants in their own right".

I have loads growing through the gravel on my drive, and I have never had them before (though I do have lots of other pretty weeds.)
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Well I would willlingly argue the case for ground elder.

We are more successful with that and dandelions than anything else. Even grass. We had to buy a fake lawn in the end (thanks, dogs...!)

Liz
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Dandelions also have another use ---- Dandelion Wine !
One is supposed to gather them on St George's Day--- (Or on the next DRY day !)

I believe that "Ground Elder" will be engraved, like Mary's Calais -- on my heart !!

I have just found it invading my Compost Heap ---- and am attacking it with spray - on Weedkiller Die Die Die !! :twisted:

On a lighter note -- the Plum blossom of my two Victorias has been superb and also all the Apple Trees -- with exception of one of the Russets, -don't knpw why ! :?:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

For ground elder, dandelions or anything else you don't want around get some glycosphate (?sp), dilute according to instructions and paint on the leaves with a paint brush; it will kill the roots in about 2 weeks and they say you can sow seed in six weeks. Of course you can spray it but it will kill almost everything whose leaves it gets on - I use it on 1-inch thick oak saplings. A second coat might be found necessary. The earth itself is supposed to neutralise the weedkiller. Use sensible precautions - don't breathe in, wear rubber gloves and/or wash your hands immediately if you get some on them, etc.; it seems pretty safe but why take chances? Do NOT use stronger than recommended - amazingly some plants are almost totally unaffected by overstrong solutions

Glycosphate is the effective chemical in Roundup but is also used in many other weedkillers - just check the list of ingredients. I personally use huge quantities of the Bayer version because it is far cheaper over here; that decision is your choice. Another point - add a few drops of washup liquid to any weedkiller solution - it cuts through and protective film or pollution on the leaves. I do the same with sprayed foliar feed.

Usual blurb - I never worked for any such company/industry, I don't have shares etc......
Last edited by sejintenej on Mon May 03, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.