What Doesn't Happen At CH These Days?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

Re: What Doesn't Happen At CH These Days?

Post by Foureyes »

In the early 1950s there were two sergeants. I can picture them both, but am somewhat hazy on the details of their duties.
Sergeant Fielder was a somewhat taciturn character who, with his wife, ran the post office and also acted as a sort-of major domo for the Head Master on ceremonial occasions. He also, I believe, used to distribute mail around the campus.
Sergeant Usher ('Tush') was a more outgoing and cheerful type, who took lunch parades and punishment drills.
One of those two used to ring the bell for reveille, etc.
The other two ex-Service types were the Corps Sergeant-Major (Carter) and the Band Master (Stagg). All four wore uniforms, but of different styles - presumably to meet their own specifications!
David :o
Fitzsadou
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fitzsadou »

Another of Tush’s (Sgt Usher’s) duties was to visit every classroom in second period with two lists, one on which the teacher would write the names of those absent and the other (it may have been on yellow paper) which was for the names of those to report for a punishment drill, held on Lamb asphalt at 12:25,or thereabouts, the same day.

Another function was to deliver (the very rare) summonses of the head master for a boy to call in his office. One celebrated such summons was for a boy named Dyer. Tush commenced his summons by saying to the master,
“ ’Ave you got Dyer ‘ere Sir? ”
Richard
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Richard »

I recollect that Sgts Usher, Fielder and Carter all had similar uniforms, possibly because they were ex-Army. Band Master Staggs’ dress uniform was quite different, with a sort of frock coat and sash. This was probably because he was formerly a Royal Marine.

I think that Sgt Carter’s full title was Regimental Sgt Major.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

In my time Sgt Guest used to conduct the 12:15 pm School Drills that took place on the back asphalt between Lamb and the Scout Hut and Manual School approximately. Not that I had many of those :wink:

As others have said he ran the Post Office. I think as well as swimming he looked after gymnastics, such as it was, too.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

I recall Sergeant Guest sporting an army woolly pully but never saw him in any sort of uniform. As for what his duties were in my day, beyond supervising drills and swimming lessons and overseeing the Post Office, I have no idea. I never once saw him enter a classroom. Did he do things on Field Days? As for who rang the wake-up bell at 07.05 (or was it 07.10?), I must admit I never really thought about it or if I did I assumed it was automated.

These days, the idea of not getting out of bed until 07.05 would be anathema to me, yet we all seemed to imagine it was the crack of dawn at the time. Hotels which don't serve breakfast until 07.30 or 08.00 really annoy me. Why would the management expect us all to be lazy slobs?
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

Chrissie Boy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:37 pm I recall Sergeant Guest sporting an army woolly pully but never saw him in any sort of uniform. As for what his duties were in my day, beyond supervising drills and swimming lessons and overseeing the Post Office, I have no idea. I never once saw him enter a classroom. Did he do things on Field Days? As for who rang the wake-up bell at 07.05 (or was it 07.10?), I must admit I never really thought about it or if I did I assumed it was automated.

These days, the idea of not getting out of bed until 07.05 would be anathema to me, yet we all seemed to imagine it was the crack of dawn at the time. Hotels which don't serve breakfast until 07.30 or 08.00 really annoy me. Why would the management expect us all to be lazy slobs?
My recollection was 6:55, which seemed very early then but (like you) now seems obscenely late.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
Phil
3rd Former

Post by Phil »

Tush (Sgt Usher) sometimes supervised House Baths (recreational swimming, that was voluntary and considered desirable by most - do they still exist?) and also some house gym sessions. He was kind and when time was up and he blew his whistle to indicate all had to leave the water, some bright sparks would then swim very slowly towards the most distant exit ladder. He rarely made a fuss about this. Others did. But he was certainly strict when necessary.

I don’t recall him giving swimming lessons. Mr J.H. Edwards (master i/c gym and swimming coaching) did this. It was alleged that he could not swim, for he was never seen in the water. Is that so?
alterblau
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by alterblau »

Sgt Usher was surely regarded affectionately by many boys. For his last punishment drill (the Prep called their own version, the “Punny” Drill) before his retirement, instead of the usual dozen or so participants, Sgt Usher found well over 50 had turned up, including some Grecians. They all ran. Tush was most visibly touched and some said they even detected him wiping away a tear. (I didn’t see this; I was running.)
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Goatherd »

My recollection was 6:55, which seemed very early then but (like you) now seems obscenely late.
[/quote]

Interesting! My experience of people of my age (65+) who get up at some unearthly hour (any time before 0830 in my opinion) then, after lunch, have a 'nap'. Anything up to 2 hours. Then, around 9pm, they fall asleep in front of the TV/guests/hosts/family/friends. In addition, I read (OK in the Mail, so not true) that the earlier you get up the more likely you are to suffer from dementia!
Goatherd
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Goatherd wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:28 pm In addition, I read (OK in the Mail, so not true) that the earlier you get up the more likely you are to suffer from dementia!
Jings, I hope that's not true! I rarely sleep more than 4 hours straight these days, so I'm up at silly o'clock on a daily basis. :shock:
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Goatherd »

Don't worry. As I said, it was the Daily Mail!
Goatherd
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Goatherd wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:28 pm My recollection was 6:55, which seemed very early then but (like you) now seems obscenely late.
AFAIR the march in to breakfast started at 7.10. That was after washing, dressing, folding sheets and blankets, arching mattresses. I now get up before 6am
Interesting! My experience of people of my age (65+) who get up at some unearthly hour (any time before 0830 in my opinion) then, after lunch, have a 'nap'. Anything up to 2 hours. Then, around 9pm, they fall asleep in front of the TV/guests/hosts/family/friends. In addition, I read (OK in the Mail, so not true) that the earlier you get up the more likely you are to suffer from dementia!
Very seldom watch TV unless it is one of those Geographic programs about the universe etc. though occasionally I might watch JTV except in the minutes after the hour when they have news.
I read that the earlier you get up the more likely you are to suffer from dementia!
well, we were at CH...... 'nuff said?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
keibat
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by keibat »

06:55 was when the wake-up bell rang. I've always been an early-morning person, and usually woke around 06:30, and so one of my roles was waking people up earrly if they hadn't finished their prep - all they had to do was turn vertical their house-number card that sat in a little frame on the foot bedframe. I still usually wake before my alarm goes off, currently usually around 05:30 ... but I do enjoy a postprandial nap!
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Is there still such a thing as Chapel Practice?

If not, and if chapel attendance is no longer compulsory, how do newcomers to the school ever learn the tunes of hymns, psalms and responses if they don't already know them? Or does nobody care any more, because compulsory chapel services are so rare that it simply doesn't matter?

If chapel attendance isn't compulsory, a much smaller number of 'students' must show up for the services than in the past....so is that reflected by fewer persons putting themselves forward to join the choir, because most kids don't feel any connection with the chapel?

And on any normal Sunday, does the choir outnumber the congregation?
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Chrissie Boy wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:30 am If not, and if chapel attendance is no longer compulsory, how do newcomers to the school ever learn the tunes of hymns, psalms and responses if they don't already know them?
Yes, how come these key life skills are being so readily squandered?