Happy Birthday Geraint

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Happy Birthday Geraint

Post by englishangel »

Our Jersey representative has a birthday today.

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
CHAZ
Grecian

Re: Happy Birthday Geraint

Post by CHAZ »

Bouôn annivèrsaithe, Geraint! Have not seen you on here for a while but maybe you are caught up in the European elections and all?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

CHAZ wrote:Bouôn annivèrsaithe, Geraint! Have not seen you on here for a while but maybe you are caught up in the European elections and all?
I don't think the Channel Islands are part of the EU.

Happy Birthday Geraint! :drinkers:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Yes, you are right as it's a parliamentary democracy dependant on Birtish crown:

The Island has a special relationship however with the European Union by virtue of Protocol 3 to the United Kingdom’s Treaty of Accession to the European Economic Community.

Will delve into more or no doubt our illustrious Jèrrais chap will inform us.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Happy Birthday Geraint !

The C/I's have many good things going for them. One of 'em is NOT being part of the EU.

Probably something to do with the massive holiday influx they experienced between 1940ish/1945 !

They will quite happily take our currency, but theirs is illegal tender in England etc.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Many happy returns :wine: :wine:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Happy Birthday.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

J.R. wrote:Happy Birthday Geraint !

The C/I's have many good things going for them. One of 'em is NOT being part of the EU.

Probably something to do with the massive holiday influx they experienced between 1940ish/1945 !

They will quite happily take our currency, but theirs is illegal tender in England etc.
Happy birthday!

I often get Jersey or Guernsey coinage in my change... I normally put them in vending machines!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Vièr Bliu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Vièr Bliu »

Thanks all for the birthday wishes! Mèrcie bein des fais pouor toute la souhait'tie! Sorry I haven't been around to receive them in time.

It's been a frantic week. I'm working on two books at the moment (and my computer has spent the last week crashing every 20 minutes or so) and I've been trying to hit one deadline yesterday and one today. I think I've now delivered enough copy to hold them off until Monday (for one) and Saturday week (for the other). It's a funny recession. On the one hand, money is tight, but on the other, people have been offering me jobs (which I don't really dare refuse - but I had to turn down to commission to illustrate one of the books as I said I thought I could just about get the thing written, in both languages, but taking on the illustrations as well was just impossible...)

I think, though, that I'll be able to take some time out to celebrate over the weekend! :wine:

And yes, everyone's quite right - no EU here, so no elections. Our last elections, general and municipal, were at the end of last year, so the next election round will start up in October 2011. But you can't start campaigning too early. Among the other things I had on my (municipal) plate this week was to select St Helier's entry in this years scenic lane competition - anyone who observed me out and about paying careful scrutiny to lanes which happen to be in my prospective (deputorial) constituency would no doubt conclude that I am growing disgracefully cynical as the years advance. And just to keep my loftier policies in people's minds, my regular newspaper column appeared in this evening's paper on the topic of independence.

Our money's not legal tender in England and Wales, but like Scottish notes (which we also take happily) people can take it if they want - and vending machines will take anything (except if you're in a hurry) :)
Jé l'dithai acouo eune fais: séyiz heutheurs!
BB/CA 1977-1984