Aqua Manda

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Aqua Manda

Post by Angela Woodford »

Does anybody else remember the big bottles of amazing Boots Pine Bath Essence - an astonishing green colour and wonderful pine scent?

We usually had a bottle on the go at home, but I had some at school, where it was far more satisfying. The strong water pressure in those huge baths whooshed the Pine Essence into a hot mega-green experience in a most exciting way!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Liz60
2nd Former

Post by Liz60 »

Oh yes, I most certainly do! The whole place could smell like a Siberian forest in seconds (or a public lavatory, depending on your point of view...). For some reason, unfathomable to everyone else, I was not a fan of Top of the Pops so when that was on on a Thursday evening (can't imagine why we were allowed to watch it) I was guaranteed the bathroom to myself, complete with lashing of Boots Pine Bath Essence! Oh, the luxury! It even made up for the gritty bits of Gumption left in the bottom of the bath by the Bathroom Girls. It all brings back memories, too, of those orange curtains... i expect they have posh showers now - not the same at all!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Your post has brought back another olfactory memory, Liz!

A whiff of Gumption!

Thank you.... :D
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

It's a whiff of Mansion Polish in the proper round tin that does it for me! Never mind your Pledge or Mr. Sheen, MP will always, for me, be the only correct way to polish wood! :(
Liz60
2nd Former

Post by Liz60 »

And as for Bluebell brass polish...!!
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

What I should have explained was that Mansion Polish always brings back the memory of that bright orange Ronuk we had to use on the dining tables; we didn't have anything as exotic as MP. Sadly my concentration isn't what it used to be - but neither is my commitment to shiny surfaces! :lol:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

anniexf wrote:It's a whiff of Mansion Polish in the proper round tin that does it for me! Never mind your Pledge or Mr. Sheen, MP will always, for me, be the only correct way to polish wood! :(
I really don't know why, but 6's had this thing of always polishing the dayroom tables with the shoe polish. The tables shone with a weird dark red sheen.

It was always best to go over the table surface very carefully before risking cutting out your needlework... :shock:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Liz60 wrote:Oh yes, I most certainly do! The whole place could smell like a Siberian forest in seconds (or a public lavatory, depending on your point of view...). For some reason, unfathomable to everyone else, I was not a fan of Top of the Pops so when that was on on a Thursday evening (can't imagine why we were allowed to watch it) I was guaranteed the bathroom to myself, complete with lashing of Boots Pine Bath Essence! Oh, the luxury! It even made up for the gritty bits of Gumption left in the bottom of the bath by the Bathroom Girls. It all brings back memories, too, of those orange curtains... i expect they have posh showers now - not the same at all!

Long way to go for a pee !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Hooray, The White Company have sent me their new glossy catalogue, which I'm enjoying with my morning coffee.

They have two new scents - Day, and Night.

Straight away, I remembered that this has been done before! Remember the Mary Quant make up range? How I loved it, even smuggling back a pale pink lipgloss in my sponge bag; just for the purposes of gloating over. Oh, the black and white packaging with silver daisy motif! But... MQ did two scents, AM and PM, which I loved even more than Aqua Manda. I can remember them even now - AM particularly - which was a wonderful fresh "green notes" scent.

Just thinking of it - oh the nostalgia! Trying to coax some contours into my chubby face with Blushbaby in Toffee, too.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

AQUA MANDA IS BACK! http://www.aquamandaperfume.com/ along with Aqua Citra, which is being described as its new sister?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Wonderful! I can't wait to sample that gorgeous mandarin-orange scent again!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:Wonderful! I can't wait to sample that gorgeous mandarin-orange scent again!

I must admit, it's quite an iconic scent, even if a little heavy for my personal taste.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

It's a girl thing, JR. Stick with your Brut and Old Spice! I must admit I am tempted to try Aqua Manda now, having apparently missed it first time round!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

I've an idea that there was a mens' Aqua Manda? I could be wrong. Time, if so, for JR to get out those flared jeans, platform shoes and floral shirt with huge floppy collar. To grow down those sideburns, and breathe the good wholesome atmosphere of the smouldering joss stick.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fjgrogan wrote:It's a girl thing, JR. Stick with your Brut and Old Spice! I must admit I am tempted to try Aqua Manda now, having apparently missed it first time round!

HAVE YOU BEEN PEEPIN' IN MY BATHROOM CABINET ?

YES - Brut and Old Spice !!