Collyboshers and Wallybonkers

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog
LE (Little Erasmus)

Collyboshers and Wallybonkers

Post by Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog »

When I was a junior, we all knew how to make a near-lethal weapon by simply folding a pocket-handkerchief in a certain way and then folding it in two. Depending on which house you were in, it was called either a wallybonker or a collybosher. Being whacked over the head with one was not unlike the experience of being hit on the head by a stray golfball, for all that the bosher/bonker consisted only of lightweight cloth. Fiendishly clever - and probably invented by an inscrutable Oriental kid at Newgate Street back in the 16th Century.

The thing is, I tried to make one the other day and I found I'd completely forgotten how to do it. Has everyone else forgotten too?

We all need to know how to make one, in case we're ever held hostage in Beirut and need to overpower our guards - right?
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Having been caned (6) by Pongo Littlefield for such behaviour I refuse to assist you with your enquiry in case he finds out (who says corporal punishment doesen't work).
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I have no idea what you are talking about!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

I'm guessing JR must have found wallybonkers/collyboshers invaluable whilst interrogating suspects during his time in the force. ("Weapon? What weapon? I've only got a hanky with me.")

I remember once attempting to make a giant wallybonker out of a bedsheet in order to assault a particularly irritating kid who kept wallybonking all and sundry. I imagined that (with luck) the giant bonker might knock him unconscious or similar - but in the event it had no effect whatever. I'm assuming the chunkier nature of a bedsheet didn't allow for the tightly-rolled compactness necessary in a wallybonker. Still, at least I tried.

That bl**dy kid probably runs the North Korean army these days......

(And no - I just tried making a wallybonker and I can't remember how to do it. Damn and blast. Maybe there's a diagram in the Anarchist's Cookbook.)

------------
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I presume this is something along the lines of wet towel flicking?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

englishangel wrote:I presume this is something along the lines of wet towel flicking?
I have, evidently, lived in The Antipodes for way too long.

When I saw the title of the thread I wondered what had happened to the terms w****r and tosser, and it was only when I saw that Mary had entered the conversation that I felt it appropriate to investigate.

Oh, and sorry guys, but I have absolutely no idea how one could turn a snotrag (we also have snottygobbles - a climbing plant, and snot blocks - vanilla slices, here in South Australia) into an offensive weapon other than by sneezing into it before waving it under unprotected noses.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
englishangel wrote:I presume this is something along the lines of wet towel flicking?
When I saw the title of the thread I wondered what had happened to the terms banker and tosser

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, very strange. Not only was my signature excluded from the message, but a 'w' was mysteriously transformed into a 'b'.

Guess I should proof read before hitting submit?
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I remember that my brother knew how to make these , so did I a long time ago.... it's not exclusive to CH and is generally known as a cosh...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."