Hertford hygeine, hierarchies and heartache (from CH Forum)

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

J.R. wrote:I didn't know that !
Me neither!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

J.R. wrote:I didn't know that !

Was it my 'starter for 10' ?
No, but it does mean that I would be willing to pit my wits against you in a game of Trivial Pursuit. Mary, on the other hand misses out :wink:
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

englishangel wrote:Really????
Really, what?

Am I really a Pharmacologist? Yes.

Do I believe that homoeopathics and essential oils have therapeutic value? Yes, I do.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

"An 'Ology ! An 'Ology ! My grand-son has an 'Ology ? And he says that is nothing ?"

Beattie, (Maureen Lipman), from the B.T. adverts.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
englishangel wrote:Really????
Really, what?

Am I really a Pharmacologist? Yes.

Do I believe that homoeopathics and essential oils have therapeutic value? Yes, I do.
I know you are a pharmacologist. But homeopathy and essential oils?

A strong placebo effect but....
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

The "magic powder" tasted like aspirin.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I think you are probably right, Maggie. What did we call those awful episodes? It was not 'sweats', but something like it.....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

homoeopathy

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi

Have used homoeopathy for myself though not in a big way, just stuff like arnica for bruising and nux vom for sick headache (hungover and overfed feeling) and found that kind of self-treatment pretty successful - could of course be the aforementioned placebo effect?

However under the guidance of a homoeopathic vet I have also used it on my dogs with excellent results. So how would the placebo effect be in action there??? It really does work.

Just a pity that people sometimes turn to it too late, having compounded their problems with drug-based therapies for too long.
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Tried homeopathy on my daughter's hayfever for 2 years until she came home from school looking as though she had been punched becasue her eyes were so swollen.

Now perfectly controlled on antihistamines and nasal spray.
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

hay fever

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Mary

Without wishing to be argumentative "controlled" is not the same as "cured".

Also many people will say they "tried homoeopathy" when what they mean is some kind of "combo remedy" from a chemist. I know enough to know it doesn't work that way.

Or perhaps I have got it wrong and you did work with a trained and qualified homoeopath?

P.S. Many allergies have an emotional agenda and this needs addressing at the same time. Very interesting stuff in Louise Hay's books e.g. "Heal Your Body"
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

God Bless Madam Pomphrey !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: hay fever

Post by sejintenej »

Liz Jay wrote:Hi Mary

Without wishing to be argumentative "controlled" is not the same as "cured".
I don't think anyone pretends otherwise. When you have an irritating condition such as asthma then anything which relieves the symptoms is a blessing.
In the case of allergies they stem from the body's "abnormal" reaction to a stimulus; abnormal because the majority of people don't react in that way.
Medicine can sometimes cure an allergy but it depends on a lot of factors, isolating the cause being the first and a difficult one. Next, the "cure" is expensive in that it requires an overnight stay in hospital and the risks of an extreme reaction. And then it might not work. Multiply that by 10 different allergies and things are getting out of hand. AIUI the NHS does not often give such treatment though it is common in France.

Far far better is a course of antihistamines which, in my case, have a welcome side effect as an anti-inflammatory - I don't feel the pain in my hips as I used to do.
A second sideeffect is immunity to some other other nasties - I got attacked by a large nest-full of wasps last summer when I broke it up with a cultivator. 20 plus stings all over my body and no effect :lol: :lol: :lol:
Liz Jay wrote:P.S. Many allergies have an emotional agenda and this needs addressing at the same time. Very interesting stuff in Louise Hay's books e.g. "Heal Your Body"

Haven't heard of that book. Perhaps there is an emotional agenda (apart from an excuse to be the centre of attention) though I am sceptical. In any case, so what?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

sejintenej wrote:Medicine can sometimes cure an allergy but it depends on a lot of factors, isolating the cause being the first and a difficult one. Next, the "cure" is expensive in that it requires an overnight stay in hospital and the risks of an extreme reaction. And then it might not work. Multiply that by 10 different allergies and things are getting out of hand. AIUI the NHS does not often give such treatment though it is common in France.
My sister-in-law had the extreme reaction, gangrene set in and she now has a 5cm x 7cm gouge out of her upper arm.

Daughter seems to be growing out of her hayfever anyway. She hasn't taken any medication yet this year and it has been known to start in Fenbruary, so 'fingers crossed'.
cj
Button Grecian

Re: Davey Jones - his inspiration!

Post by cj »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Hands up who knew that Mike Naismith's mum invented Tippex, or Whiteout, or Correction Fluid or whatever it's called in your part of the World.
And apparently David Baddiel's mother invented the Post-it note (or to be correct, the glue that doesn't stick properly!).
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Davey Jones - his inspiration!

Post by englishangel »

cj wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Hands up who knew that Mike Naismith's mum invented Tippex, or Whiteout, or Correction Fluid or whatever it's called in your part of the World.
And apparently David Baddiel's mother invented the Post-it note (or to be correct, the glue that doesn't stick properly!).
Now THAT I didn't know