Singing Competition

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

MUNCH !!

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

later edit as Munch clearly didn't notice the hopelessly small "subject" box
and didn't read this post which was especially to be read by her ( and everyone else of course )

MUNCH !!

There you are ! ( who used to say that in "Winnie the Pooh?Was it Ee Aw ? )

Hope you got my email.

Please please remind me of the words to that brilliant Geography poem ( choc full of Miss Wilson's compulsory voacab.) you wrote with ( I think) Mary Gaskell.

I have mentioned it already somewhere on this forum, but was unable to remember all the words

" I wish I were a little spur...bla bla...in the blue
.....or else I'd be a pile of scree of every shape and hue...."

then the last bit

...." and down the esker later"

Please read my email.

and Big Hi to Liz Jay....I have a photo of you Liz....all skinny and freckly :D ( something you have in common with Katharine , Hi Katharine!)....via Pam Jones ...via Caroline Barrett ( now living in Melbourne / Adelaide ).

Anyhow....I have an important announcement.......

"Friend of Alex" ( Christopher ) has copied " Carols from Christs Hospital
1967 " ......recorded in the Hertford Chapel ( wasn't it ? anyone remember?) onto CD. I am the proud possessor of one copy. I will ask my lovely, only 14 yrs old, computer geek (clone of Bill Gates) son if he
can write(copy) some more on his much posher computer. I do,however ,have some worries re. COPYWRITE....does anyone know the rules. Should I ask Miss Taverner who was the ( lovely) director of music ? Anyhow,I should love to send her a copy and all those( YOU GUYS )who would like one.

I listened to it ce matin et c'est vraiment superb. My favourite number is the choir singing "When Jesus Lived in Galilee " unaccompanied ( who sang the solos?) but there is also "This Little Babe" ( Britten) with Miss Taverner takin' it away on the organ, also somebody( who was it?) doing a nervous but sweet solo " and there were shepherds watching over their flocks" before "Break Forth O Beauteous Light " and many other favourites.

Any news on the "Festival of Carols" ( Britten) recording ? Sadly I lost my copy of that one and I was in the choir by then ( sob). I can ask "Friend of Alex" to copy it onto CD and would promise (cross my heart and hope to die) to return it .

I apologise for disappearing and reappearing on this forum.I hope you all understand that I have responsibilities in the real world :D and become all too easily addicted if I hang around too much.

Fond regards to all.viewtopic.php?t=1451
Last edited by Alexandra Thrift on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Miss Richards!

It was many years before I could enjoy any sort of needlework after the Miss Richards experience. Apart from a few chosen favourites, "Ricky" if she liked you, "Dickie" if she disliked you, ruled totally through fear. Certainly she raged regularly at us for stupidity and bad behaviour, calling us guttersnipes for taking off shoes and socks during a cricket match at Ashbourne. The floor of the needlework room was parquet - if one dropped a needle it was irretrivable! I really don't know how she got away with treating us like that.

When needlework was due in, I felt the whole world revolved around this experience. Those who had finished theirs went to bed that night - a sort of pre Bridget Jones Smug Married. The rest of us stayed up on the landing of Upper Dorm, frantically trying to get it finished. Because the needlework was assessed on a House system, one "Below Standard" wiped out somebody else's "Commendation". Awful! In Sixes, I remember Judy Evans and Rosalynde Bush supporting us through the night, helping us with a hem here, a buttonhole there; and as dawn broke reassuring us that the work was OK... I've never known relief like it. Even though we might have to try the garment on and be inspected in it. I had always grown too fat to fit it by the time my effort was finished.

If ever a smaller girl was found sobbing somewhere, the confession "I'm behind with my needlework" would explain everything!

Aha! The head of Sir Harry Vanderpant was placed on a column at the base of the Dining Room stairs. He must have been a Benefactor. We used to try to drop the fragrant damp oil-cloth cleaning rag on his head as we rushed downstairs.

Oh Liz - I remember the craze for keeping a pet mouse in a locker! Of course they were soon discovered. I spoke to Siobhan on the phone the other day - she's still upset her mouse was given to the Bio Lab!

I feel it's strange that, 35 years later, I'm suddenly inspired to come out with all these memories. Did DR ever write her memoirs? I feel angry and indignant in a way - not so much with the System - much more with myself that I accepted the treatment and punishments that came my way.
I could have questioned things. I could have done better.

Munch
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Given up using this too small subject box that noone notices

MUNCH!!!

Please read the post above which is for you ( and anyone else of course ! )

Did you get my email to you or did the photos I sent "crash" everything ????

Alexandra xx
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:Miss Richards!

It was many years before I could enjoy any sort of needlework after the Miss Richards experience. Apart from a few chosen favourites, "Ricky" if she liked you, "Dickie" if she disliked you, ruled totally through fear. Certainly she raged regularly at us for stupidity and bad behaviour, calling us guttersnipes for taking off shoes and socks during a cricket match at Ashbourne. The floor of the needlework room was parquet - if one dropped a needle it was irretrivable! I really don't know how she got away with treating us like that.

When needlework was due in, I felt the whole world revolved around this experience. Those who had finished theirs went to bed that night - a sort of pre Bridget Jones Smug Married. The rest of us stayed up on the landing of Upper Dorm, frantically trying to get it finished. Because the needlework was assessed on a House system, one "Below Standard" wiped out somebody else's "Commendation". Awful! In Sixes, I remember Judy Evans and Rosalynde Bush supporting us through the night, helping us with a hem here, a buttonhole there; and as dawn broke reassuring us that the work was OK... I've never known relief like it. Even though we might have to try the garment on and be inspected in it. I had always grown too fat to fit it by the time my effort was finished.

If ever a smaller girl was found sobbing somewhere, the confession "I'm behind with my needlework" would explain everything!

Aha! The head of Sir Harry Vanderpant was placed on a column at the base of the Dining Room stairs. He must have been a Benefactor. We used to try to drop the fragrant damp oil-cloth cleaning rag on his head as we rushed downstairs.

Oh Liz - I remember the craze for keeping a pet mouse in a locker! Of course they were soon discovered. I spoke to Siobhan on the phone the other day - she's still upset her mouse was given to the Bio Lab!

I feel it's strange that, 35 years later, I'm suddenly inspired to come out with all these memories. Did DR ever write her memoirs? I feel angry and indignant in a way - not so much with the System - much more with myself that I accepted the treatment and punishments that came my way.

Munch
I can identify with nearly every word of this. Well the needlework bit, we didn't keep mouses in 2's.

I remember as a junior sitting on the loo until 3 or 4am to finish my drawn thread work.

Once I got started making garments I got my act together and got quite good. In my final year I even made a tartan cape, matching plaids and all. I wore that all through my first year at University and it always got me a seat on a bus as people thought that with the book bag carried underneath I was pregnant. :lol:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: The Sixes Rain Dance

Post by Mid A 15 »

Angela Woodford wrote: As a Gardener at a historic house, this skill was tremendously useful
Which historic house?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Angela Woodford wrote:I feel it's strange that, 35 years later, I'm suddenly inspired to come out with all these memories. Did DR ever write her memoirs? I feel angry and indignant in a way - not so much with the System - much more with myself that I accepted the treatment and punishments that came my way.

Munch
Hi Angela (or are you still Munch??)

Don't you find it somewhat therapeutic to relive the experiences and then disperse all the bad stuff into the ether, I know I do, not just CH stuff but all the "learning experiences" of the past?
What's done can never be undone but so what? If we have learned from it and become a better/more complete person from it all, then good has been done in the long run.
We accepted the bad treatment and punishments because we didn't know anything else, we probably blamed ourselves, brainwashed into believing that such lack of respect was all we mere schoolgirls deserved. I know for years post-CH if anyone was nice to me I grovelled and blushed, and had terrible self-esteem problems. I think if you were the "wrong type" then the CH lifestyle was very damaging, verging on child abuse.
I changed schools after a couple of years, which brought its own set of difficulties, but in the end LOVED my new school so much I cried buckets when I left.
Maybe I would have felt that way about CH if I had stayed till the bitter end instead of wimping out, who knows? But DR was probably right when she told me I didn't have sufficient moral fibre, or words to that effect.
I take my hat off to those of you who survived the system!!
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Angela Woodford wrote:Oh Liz - I remember the craze for keeping a pet mouse in a locker! Of course they were soon discovered. I spoke to Siobhan on the phone the other day - she's still upset her mouse was given to the Bio Lab!
Hi again Munch

You must give Siobhan my love next time you are speaking to her, she was one of my bestest friends.

Does she ever come on this forum?
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Hi - quick reply before heading off to historic garden workplace. This is Pashley Manor Gardens, near Ticehurst,Kent. In the middle of the Walled Vegetable Garden, there's a v large ornamental urn - it was around this that I performed the Sixes Rain Dance to produce rain during the drought this summer. Result.

Liz - will certainly tell Siobhan we've "met" again - I'm visiting her mother Jean on Tues - she had a bad accident a year ago. I'm still Munch to CH friends. After 41 years, it's automatic! Yes - since Alex told me about this forum, I'm finding it alarming, fascinating and cathartic to talk about CH memories decades later. No time for more catharsis now though. Time to go and explain that rain in night nothing to do with me.

(Esther Poloneser, I'm sorry I was horrible to you).

Munch
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote:Liz - will certainly tell Siobhan we've "met" again - I'm visiting her mother Jean on Tues - she had a bad accident a year ago. I'm still Munch to CH friends. After 41 years, it's automatic! Yes - since Alex told me about this forum, I'm finding it alarming, fascinating and cathartic to talk about CH memories decades later. No time for more catharsis now though. Time to go and explain that rain in night nothing to do with me.
Hi Munch and Liz - frantic waves from downunder - Adelaide, not Melbourne, Alex :-).

Munch, have you checked out the Richard Atkins pages on Friends Reunited? I have posted some photos, and can send you copies of any that you are in, if you would like them.

I am finding this forum very therapeutic - particularly the realisation that I was not alone in my feelings and low self-esteem. I agree that we were subjected to bullying and abuse, and although I was not aware that it was not OK way back then, my experiences have helped me deal with abusive teachers that my kids have experienced during their schooling. I do, however, have to keep a close rein on my emotions, as buttons are still very easily pushed - my PhD candidature was recently suspended because documents which I had submitted on time got forgotten about on some administrator's desk. Adelaide Uni Graduate Admin Assistant was very convincing in her argument that it was entirely my fault and that my suspension would remain on my academic transcript. I started out responding to her as a rational, conciliatory adult, but as she continued to speak to me as a member of some lesser order of humanity I felt emotions surfacing which I had first experienced while standing before Miss Richardson with a piece of needlework in hand, which had been created to the best of my ability - and which, while not perfect, was to the best of my ability.

However, as I think of Mrs Betterton, Mrs Thomas and my piano teacher, whose name, I am ashamed to say, I cannot remember - I can feel a little smile coming to my face.

Is anyone in touch with Mary Mc, Bun, Cathy, Susan ......? I have Diana's and Pam's email addresses somewhere. Or rather, their email addresses from couple of years ago.

(Esther Poloneser, I'm sorry I was horrible to you).

Munch
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Well it seems no one from 5's has had any input in this post so here goes! I started in August 1975 - was a new number in 5's, I remember the Fairy rings in the summer - it must have been midsummer day as I remember watching the girls in their nightdresses farting around - we thought they were performing some Indian ritual for rain!!!

Thames Mud and barges was still going until I left in 1980!

Mrs Newbold was our nightmare seamstress... I hated needlework - I made loads of clothes (which thankfully have found their way to bins so I don't have to be reminded of them!!)

We still had Blues -all year round - big , baggy navy blue pants that went over our own knickers...

there was always a ring of mushrooms/toadstools between 5's and 6's... every year - I think it must have been the witchcraft of 6's!

We looked out over the Art block as well as the school field.. Remember the February Flu in which the infirmary would get full adn then each house started having it's own number of students in bed in house... EVERY February... weird!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I may be letting myself in for it here, but I have not had 'flu since I left school. All the children and husband have had it, but me, never.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

How could I have forgotten Thames mud and barges?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Katharine wrote:How could I have forgotten Thames mud and barges?
What are they?
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Thames Mud was a chocolate sloppy pudding, not quite sure what it was supposed to be - perhaps blancmange that had not set. The barges were rectangular shortbread biscuits.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Hi Munch, Thanks for the email.Will reply soon.Meanwhile I'm replying to you and everyone here.

Needlework !! Miss Richards !! I wasn't afraid of much....but she terrified me.She was an appalling bully but
I'm really glad I learnt to do needlework as I have already mentioned on this forum.

I remember that panic struck nights in the loo desperately trying to finish before the deadline.The utter hopeless terror of it all. Some Girls reached an unbelievably high standard ( like your friend and the best Head Girl lovely Carolyn Newbury) and others ,like me ,made it grubby,lost their needle ( quake) and -er -cut the corners of the biased binding ( mmmm...thinks...that spelling can't be right) because I didn't realise you could sew it around the corner ( one of Dickie's white place mat things with a gingham binding border). I was made to feel like a snail ,to be ground underfoot and kicked down the drain ,for that misdemeanour.

Sir Harry Vanderpant. I have broached this subject before....but had forgotten how we threw the dirty dishcloth at him....and possibly with reason.....Yes...DR did write her memoirs and I bought a copy for 50p in the sale at a Horsham Blues occasion ( anything from Hertford was dirt cheap ). It has been mentioned here and there on this forum.I've lent my copy to Penny Manning (threes) who keeps phoning me up with indignant comments about it.As far as I remember it's called "Half To Remember" or something rather strange and hard to remember....Anyhow,in it,DR mentions poor Sir Harry at some length.They were "friends" and the reader gets the impression that he was quite enamoured with our Headmistress. According to DR he had a penchant for redheaded girls and she always had to point out the new ones to him and even made sure there was one sitting at his lunch table ! ( if I remember rightly ).I tried googling his name to find out more about him,to no avail. His bust,at the bottom of the dining hall steps was ideally placed to look up our skirts as we descended :)

Re: your comments,Munch,about questioning things.I don't think you could have done much better than you did.You saw the funny side of things and were usually upbeat and made us laugh.....that's about the best anyone could have done IMO. I did sometimes rebel and challenge the status quo and got myself into trouble......I wish I'd toed the line more in some ways.....aah...but what's done is done.

Now,with your permission I publish on the internet your famous geographical ditty

Geographical Inertia

I wish I were a little spur
Floating in the blue
Or else I'd be
A pile of Scree
Of ev'ry shade and hue.
When on the Causse
I feel verbose
And full of
Relevant
Data.
I love to scale
The crag-and-tail
And down the
Esker, later."

I remember "Mud and Barges" .I quite liked the mud,although it was rather messy but always gave my "barge" away.

Does anyone remember the "Kipper Destroying Club" ??? oh yes, we were more "Monty Python" (locked away in that prison with only our wits for entertainment ) than "Monty Python".

EDIT:Esther Polonezer !! Quite honestly Munch,no offence but I can't see you being a very convincing bully....and actually Esther was funny too. Her friend Maureen Connor (also a huge laugh) was posting here a while back.

I do want to contact Maureen Connor( to try and persuade her to come to the local Founders Day "do" in Blandford,Dorset ) and wonder whether the mods could contact her on my behalf ( as presumably they have Maureen's email) and give her my email.