Repeal major detrimental changes at Christ's Hospital

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Repeal major detrimental changes at Christ's Hospital

Post by J.R. »

Nicely put, Shane.

I think a lot of posters on this forum are behind you on this.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Spartacist
3rd Former

Post by Spartacist »

thanks ;-)

it's only in draft... but by the 25th of June or so.... we aim for 1round 800-1200 sigs.

This may seem unrealistic.... But we all know how word spreads in the OB's community and the CH community ;-)

regards.
And In My Heart You May Die
Spartacist
3rd Former

Post by Spartacist »

CHAZ wrote: In short:

CHANGE HAPPENS
ANTICIPATE CHANGE
MONITOR CHANGE
ADAPT TO CHANGE QUICKLY
CHANGE
ENJOY CHANGE
BE READY TO QUICKLY CHANGE & ENJOY IT, AGAIN, AND AGAIN

I know you stated that it may not apply to CH, but for some reason i personally disagree with the metaphore anyway.... So far as i see (history for example) Change is... in the majority of cases... for the worse.... Maybe i am being narrow minded, and thanks for the quote... The way Mr Franklin and the new SMT are changing things effects various parts of CH (please check my earlier post) Yes, most of what is on the petition is the currnet students moaning in disagreement with new policies that aren't necessary, but the roots of the disagreement are even deeper than this.... In truth, what was OK in the first place... did not need to change - Mr Franklin could have continued the good work of Dr Southern instead of undoing it.

For example - Under Dr Southern, if you were caught drinking, it wouldn't necessarily be immediate red card or suspension. You may ask why... but the reason to me seem's clear - most people our age this day and age DO drink - it is almost habit. So being allowed a few chances is fair as the pupils themselves may develop into brilliant human beings! I know this was certainly the case for quite a few people on my year.....

Under the new anal SMT, the application of rule is : "if you are caught drinking, you most probably wont get a second chance... or if you do, we will be monitoring you very carefully".... More and more pupils under Mr Franklin are geting suspended or put into detention for next to nothing... and i am witness to this happening under my last year there, and his first year.....

anyways,

thanks for reading.... ;-) x
Spartacist
3rd Former

Post by Spartacist »

w
Last edited by Spartacist on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Spartacist wrote:
Restoration of Half Pipe (this was removed due to Health and safety - so fairdoos on that vetoe)
What exactly is this, Shane ?
Spartacist
3rd Former

Post by Spartacist »

w
Last edited by Spartacist on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Thanks again Shane.

As Safety Officer for Dorking Football Club, I can fully understand the H & S aspect.

However, to some extent, H & S has gone politically mad of late. It was originally designed to protect workers in the building and industrial trades, and quite right too.

Nowadays, you almost need to consult an H & S inspector before getting out of bed ! Quentin Letts recent Panorama programme on BBC1 was well worth a watch.

Risk assesment on how to climb a step-ladder and get a certificate to prove you can do it safely ? I ask you !
Spartacist
3rd Former

Post by Spartacist »

It sounds pretty sad....

My dads a builder and i'm pretty sure he dislikes H&S inspectors.... but in this day and age.... people can sue for anything... so the gov. are just trying to protect the employer or a person that could be liable to a "negligent" claim....

I personally hope we don't end up doing an america nad end up suing left right and centre.... not that that is bad for perspective legal practitioners :D
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Spartacist -------- You have said NOTHING, with which I disagree, more power to your Keyboard !
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

The proposed petition includes the following:
The creation of a truly democratic Pupil Council, free to make decisions on behalf of the pupils and put them forward to the Headmaster directly, without any intervention or veto powers being exercised by staff in the process.
Those of you who have signed this petition should think very carefully about the implications of this. First, I presume that "truly democratic" means by popular election - how would this be organised? Secondly, what does "free to make decisions on behalf of the pupils" mean? Decisions on what? And if they are decisions that have already been made why bother to put them forward to the headmaster - or does it actually mean "proposals" or "suggestions"? Thirdly, do you really think that the headmaster would agree to the hierachy of housemasters, heads of department, etc, being sidelined in this way?

I suggest that you should all read/reread "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding and then review your decision to add your signature to this particular and truly anarchic proposal.

So there!
:shock:
Spartacist
3rd Former

Post by Spartacist »

Thanks Neil! My keyboard is battered LOL.

Sorry on not having been clear with the pupil council business - let me explain:

1) the petition is still in draft (so my bad for not having worded properly...)
2) AS I EXPLAINED EARLIER.... (please refer to an earlier post by me) the council is not democratic in the sense that it is "elected"..... but it is based on the current housecaptains and deputy house captains of the school; who take suggestions from their housemates, then forward them to the council when it meets. My point on the part of democratic - was the idea of opposite to fascist. In the long run, most decent idea's have been vetoed by Mr Vessey.... The idea of having a cafe in Grecians club seems pointless due to the fact we already have one in Sports centre, which many people go to.... may i also point out that for quite a while. the expenditure of the "cafe" will be alot higher than the profits... oh yeah - please dont forget tuck shop!

anymore questions?

regards
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

yes - who taught you English, Shane??!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Yes, put the clock back, no half measures either - bring back cold baths, corporal punishment, compulsory chapel, compulsory Corps, naked bathing, hard boiled eggs in a wire basket, skiffage pie, Housey Stew (surely that's disappeared?), kiff bowls, loaves of bread stuck behind Q Victoria's portrait, rugger in sleet storms, cascara to deter malingering, school dentist with foot-operated drill, haircuts by the Sheep-shearer in the boot room, rock hard cubes of Lifebuoy soap - have I missed anything?
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I for one am pleased the new Head is a strict disciplinarian. I work in a school where we went from a strict disciplinarian to a more laissez faire approach. Result - bad manners, poor behviour, students aren't clear on the rules as they are applied per case rather than strictly adhered to, respect for adults has gone down etc.

AND, surprisingly, those students that have been here under both regimes prefer the old way.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

postwarblue wrote:Yes, put the clock back, no half measures either - bring back cold baths, corporal punishment, compulsory chapel, compulsory Corps, naked bathing, hard boiled eggs in a wire basket, skiffage pie, Housey Stew (surely that's disappeared?), kiff bowls, loaves of bread stuck behind Q Victoria's portrait, rugger in sleet storms, cascara to deter malingering, school dentist with foot-operated drill, haircuts by the Sheep-shearer in the boot room, rock hard cubes of Lifebuoy soap - have I missed anything?
Yep, you've missed out the thing where the older boy is the 'boss' and the new boy is his 'slave' (which I didn't even know existed in real life until I read it on this forum, but can't remember what it's called). Oh, the good old days.... :lol:
lonelymom :rolleyes: