Tattoos anybody?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Tattoos anybody?

Post by Katharine »

When we were in Sarawak there were still people who bore the traditional tribal tattoos - and also the big ear holes.

In one of the highland tribes, the high caste ladies had what appeared to be black lace gloves from finger tips to elbows. These were all part of the coming of age rituals. They certainly looked down on the younger women who did not have them. Many Iban men had a tattoo at the front of the neck, over the Adam's Apple - this one was supposed to protest against death by poisoning. The big ear holes grew over many years as the weights in the ears increased. It was obvious why their tribal dancing was very slow and stately, you would not want to whirl around and have a kilo of brass weight bang you in the face!

Btw, yesterday I saw someone crouching down to get something - exposing a@se antlers - and thought of Jo's wonderful expression, thanks Jo!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I must say I am not keen on them , but I have only encountered them in my own Family on Rupert, my Elder son, who on returning from Sea with the Bo'sun, "Too early to come Home -- too late to hit Town Dad" became the possessor of Diving Eagle on his left inner frorearm. quite artistic, and at least "Coverabluppablr" at 56 ! Grandson, at 21 has achieved a star under his left ear and a conglometation of Chinese characters on his arms--- I don't know what they mean, and I havn't asked !
I seem to remember---' in my Youth--- that any decoration,round the ankle, of a female, indicated "Loose MoraIs" ----- I magine -- and hope , this to be archaic---
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: I seem to remember---' in my Youth--- that any decoration,round the ankle, of a female, indicated "Loose MoraIs" ----- I magine -- and hope , this to be archaic---

I seem to remember the same Neill. It was supposed to denote a 'woman-of-the-night. !

Times and attitudes MUST have changed as Jan wears a gold ankle bracelet, as does one daughter.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Well I like tattoos! Not all of them, not the ones that people used to have done years ago that now just look like black blobs, but the tattoos today are works of art! I often walk past somebody, notice a tattoo on their arm or foot or whatever, and walk back past them again for another look!

I would never criticise anyone for having something done to their own body, whether it be tattoos, piercings, wacky hair etc, I just say 'each to their own' and as long as it makes them happy then that's all that matters.

Wouldn't life be boring if we all looked and acted the same?

(Me = 3 small tattoos. Husband = too many to count including back-piece. None since daughters started at CH, can't afford the £70 per hour!!)
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

My father has a tattoo on his forearm with entwined hearts and the words 'Forget me not'. When my mother died we arranged to have it reproduced on her headstone. Unfortunately the result was something really garish which you can almost spot from the far side of the cemetery. Nobody wants to upset my Dad, but probably after he has joined my mother we shall have a new more discreet headstone made. It is a triple plot, and if I am the third person to be buried there I don't think I would want to be forever entombed under that monstrosity!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Having written that I'm not keen on tattoos I have just realised that I see them every day and never notice.

Having lost those particular hairs, SWMBO now has tattood eyebrows which are realistic at 3 feet range. Yes - one acceptable reason for having tattoos.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

And tattoo-enhanced nipples after breast reconstruction surgery.

I've seen this done, and it's most realistic.

I used to enjoy the ornamentation acquired by old sailors and hearing their stories of how and where each tattoo was done. Some of the designs were traditional and rather splendid on the - er - ancient well-travelled skin.

Speaking of ancient skin, I wonder how all these girls with DD+ silicone implants will look by the time they are getting on a bit. Ooh - a dodgy thought! Possibly not so buoyant.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Angela Woodford wrote: Speaking of ancient skin, I wonder how all these girls with DD+ silicone implants will look by the time they are getting on a bit. Ooh - a dodgy thought! Possibly not so buoyant.
That has just conjured up an image in my head, and it wasn't a nice image :(
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Tattoos are known by a number of my friends as Chav stamps. They are mostly refering to those ones that women get at the bottom of the back...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Similar to tatoos, I am soemtimes gobsmacked by the realism of body painting...amazing what comes up!
Oops that diodn't sound right :oops:
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Tattoos on the back, remind me of the famous scene, --- which I have never, actually seen, of the Hunt in full cry -- and the fox's Brush, indicating his final refuge !!!!

Time for imagination ! :lol:
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/pictur ... ttoos.html

Found this on the Telegraph website today...not very appealing but for the gals there is Beckham's six pack!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Do you remember when Sean Bean featured in Lady Chatterley's Lover in 1992?

Well there was a famous scene of him running naked through the woods and I'm lead to believe that the only post production editing that had to be done was to hide....

his Sheffield United Tattoo! :lol:
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

I rememebr the film as it had Joely Richardson actress as lady C ...as a young chap I was most interested in her tatoos or other things!!

sadly her sister died this year in that skiing accident in Canada...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984