CH role in Coronation

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

CH role in Coronation

Post by Katharine »

On the front page of today’s Daily Telegraph there is mention of a possibility of CH students having a role in the Coronation, holding the canopy while the King is anointed. Would this be a first?

I saw it here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-64461353 I think the paper is behind a paywall.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Foureyes
Grecian

Re: CH role in Coronation

Post by Foureyes »

Katharine,
The one definite role of CH with a new monarch is that on the latter entering the City of London for the first time the Senior Grecian presents a loyal address. If I remember correctly this is done on the steps of St Paul's. On the late queen's entry the SG was flanked by the Head Girl, the Head Master and Head Mistress and, I think, two senior boys and two senior girls.
In all my reading of the history of CH I have never seen any mention of pupils of the school propping up the canopy - must be quite heavy!
David
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I’ve seen that picture too, David.

I would have thought that members of the First XV would be strong enough to hold the canopy! Might be more of a struggle for some of the girls though!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

For a 21st century king
There should be an absence of bling.
Away with the canopy
And all other panoply,
They're clearly no longer the thing.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:14 am On the front page of today’s Daily Telegraph there is mention of a possibility of CH students having a role in the Coronation, holding the canopy while the King is anointed. Would this be a first?

I saw it here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-64461353 I think the paper is behind a paywall.
That reference does not seen to relate to CH but the paywall in the DT could hold it.
the Mirror writes:
Many hope that the King will choose to have the scholars of Christ's Hospital, a boarding school which offers an education to children of a less privileged background, carry the canopy during his ceremony.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/ki ... h-29091690
No idea where they get that from; apparently it is normally supported by Barons of the Cinque Ports or Knights of the Garter. (source - the same Mirror article. The Barons seem to be elected by the Cinque ports specifically for the coronation rather than having an on-going role. This is different to the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports- currently Admiral Lord Boyce - which is an ongoing ceremonial position.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

That was the reference to CH which I saw. The link seems to have changed, as I checked it when I posted. The DT queried whether children would be strong enough to hold it. That depends on choosing the right children!