Paul Koronka RIP

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Paul Koronka RIP

Post by Straz »

I was extremely sad to read in the Autumn 2022 edition of the "Old Blue" that Paul Koronka (Pe A 1966-71) had died earlier this year.
Paul was a contemporary and great friend of my late brother, Greg Strange (Mid A 1964-71). Their friendship continued in the early 1970s after they left CH, fuelled by a joint passion for classic cars, especially old Daimlers.
I particularly remember Paul and Greg working tirelessly on an early 1950s Daimler Barker Special Sports that they had bought. Paul (left in photo) would pop up to our place in west London to work on the car with my brother (right). It was clear that they were in their element, often covered in grease and oil as they sorted the tricky Daimler preselector gear box and other technical issues.
Frankly I wasn't convinced they would ever get the car to run smoothly, but their perseverance paid off. The two-seater car - a gorgeous showstopper with a coach-built body in crimson and cream - was their pride and joy, and they loved driving it. It also had an unusual extra dickey seat in the back that ran transversely so that anyone sitting in it had a tremendous view of the countryside but got a crick in the neck trying to talk to the driver and his passenger!
Sharing the car meant that the Daimler was also housed at Paul's place, stored in a large barn in rural Surrey/Sussex. The first time Greg and I popped down there, Paul swung the barn door open to reveal the car... accompanied by a peculiar and gut-wrenching pungent pong.
"Cripes!" I gasped.
Paul smiled, saying something along the lines of, "Oh don't worry about the smell. You soon get used to it. It's just a pheasant that we've been hanging for a few weeks!"
I looked up and there, suspended from the rafters, was a deceased game bird that had clearly seen better days. I couldn't take much more of the stink, but Greg and Paul were made of sterner stuff and spent many hours working on the vehicle.
That was one of the last times I saw Paul and sadly we lost touch over the years.
But I will always remember what a truly nice guy he was, and what a wonderful car that he and Greg restored. Rest in peace Paul.

Paul Koronka was a keen organist from an early age. Donations in memory of Paul may be made to the Chapel Organ Appeal for Christ's Hospital, https://portal.christs-hospital.org.uk/ ... onate.aspx
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: Paul Koronka RIP

Post by jtaylor »

Photo from Paul Strange:

Old Blues Paul Koronka (left) and Greg Strange (right), pictured in the early 1970s, working on their classic 1950s Daimler Barker Special Sports car.

Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Paul Koronka RIP

Post by Mid A 15 »

Straz wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:53 pm I was extremely sad to read in the Autumn 2022 edition of the "Old Blue" that Paul Koronka (Pe A 1966-71) had died earlier this year.
Paul was a contemporary and great friend of my late brother, Greg Strange (Mid A 1964-71). Their friendship continued in the early 1970s after they left CH, fuelled by a joint passion for classic cars, especially old Daimlers.
I particularly remember Paul and Greg working tirelessly on an early 1950s Daimler Barker Special Sports that they had bought. Paul (left in photo) would pop up to our place in west London to work on the car with my brother (right). It was clear that they were in their element, often covered in grease and oil as they sorted the tricky Daimler preselector gear box and other technical issues.
Frankly I wasn't convinced they would ever get the car to run smoothly, but their perseverance paid off. The two-seater car - a gorgeous showstopper with a coach-built body in crimson and cream - was their pride and joy, and they loved driving it. It also had an unusual extra dickey seat in the back that ran transversely so that anyone sitting in it had a tremendous view of the countryside but got a crick in the neck trying to talk to the driver and his passenger!
Sharing the car meant that the Daimler was also housed at Paul's place, stored in a large barn in rural Surrey/Sussex. The first time Greg and I popped down there, Paul swung the barn door open to reveal the car... accompanied by a peculiar and gut-wrenching pungent pong.
"Cripes!" I gasped.
Paul smiled, saying something along the lines of, "Oh don't worry about the smell. You soon get used to it. It's just a pheasant that we've been hanging for a few weeks!"
I looked up and there, suspended from the rafters, was a deceased game bird that had clearly seen better days. I couldn't take much more of the stink, but Greg and Paul were made of sterner stuff and spent many hours working on the vehicle.
That was one of the last times I saw Paul and sadly we lost touch over the years.
But I will always remember what a truly nice guy he was, and what a wonderful car that he and Greg restored. Rest in peace Paul.

Paul Koronka was a keen organist from an early age. Donations in memory of Paul may be made to the Chapel Organ Appeal for Christ's Hospital, https://portal.christs-hospital.org.uk/ ... onate.aspx
A lovely, evocative piece of writing Paul.

As mentioned previously I have fond memories of your brother Greg and also Paul Koronka.

All I would add is to mention that in addition to his excellence as an organist Paul Koronka was a fine cricketer for the first XI during his time at CH. Howard Holdsworth may add more if he happens to read this.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72