Post by jhopgood »

PRFoxcroft51 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:15 pm Image
Can’t see it [Now fixed - Mod], but I must know a lot of the participants
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: Alternative Maine A House Photo Early 1960s

Post by jtaylor »

If you'd like to email this to me at admin@chforum.info I can host it here on the website hosting for you, and thus available to all?

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Mr Alexander
2nd Former

Post by Mr Alexander »

Hi all

Can anyone name any of these boys? I am in there but have forgotten the names of my CH brothers from that photo.

David (Grout) now Alexander
David (Grout) now Alexander
Maine A / Col A
1961 - 1967
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Lots of familiar faces but time has erased the names from my memory.
I believe second row two from right is Geoff Bostock, who then came to Barnes B.
Five in from right on fourth row looks like JM Lloyd. Geoff Fordham must be close by as would be Isaacs.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Paul Price
2nd Former

Post by Paul Price »

The photo was taken in the summer term of 1963.
At the end of the 1962 summer term 14 boys left MaA, to be replaced by 4 coming into the 3rd form from the Prep and 10 new boys in the 2nd form. With David Alexander and myself also in the 3rd form, that meant the house was significantly overstocked with junior boys, so that at times it felt like we were part of Lord of the Flies. Should/could the school have imported a few more senior pupils from other houses, to keep a better balance?
Anyway, to show off my 72 year-old memory (!?) and because it may bring back some good memories, here are the names to match the faces. I may have gone wrong with a couple, so perhaps Paul F or David A will correct me if so?
From the back row, moving forwards:-
Graham Pratt, Paul Foxcroft, Peter Cattermole, Banner, Martin Riviere, John Clark, Ian Cullingford, Jones.

C Gray, Fellowes, Geoff Fordham (RIP), Digby Firth, Mark Cousins, Jon Lloyd, Dymott, Simon Calder-Brown, McHardy, Jackson.

Martin Gray, Tony Crouch, Trevor Tomkins, Derek Whitton, Robin Pratt, Dave Clark, Tim Isaac, Bill Hamilton, Phil Gibson, Paul Price, David Alexander (Grout), Tim Bulwer.

Pentreath, 'Tone' Jones, Wallis, Geoff Million, 'Doggy' Barker, Miss Worswick, Chris Vincent Smith, Howard Davies, Lowe, Watts, Dodge.

Harold Binley, Peter Rossiter, Bernie Davis, Chris Watts, Clive Kerridge, Stephen Cooke, Julian Angeli, Geoffrey Davis, Baker, Colin Rogers, Paul Taylor.
I wonder why one remembers some Christian names and not others...
A few stars have emerged form this list, but perhaps none more so than Howard Davies, the brilliant theatre and TV director. We had a decent reputation for theatre in MaA, including Jon Lloyd playing the part of Cleopatra in Antony and Cleopatra and David A playing the part of Nerissa in The Merchant of Venice. And good house productions, e.g. Willis Hall's The Long and the Short and the Tall.
PRFoxcroft51
2nd Former

Post by PRFoxcroft51 »

Thank you for all the names, I remembered so few.
Paul Foxcroft