“Like” option on CH Forum

START HERE:- New to the forum? Look here for info on what it's all about. We've got lots of users, some regular and some occasional, so if you're not sure how to join in then here's where to start.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

“Like” option on CH Forum

Post by jtaylor »

richardb wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:06 pm My main disappointment with this forum (and it is down to the software) is that it isnt possible to "like" a post. My like button would be working overtime at he moment.
Your wish is my desire-to-please - I've found and installed an extension. You'll now see a little "Like" thumbs-up (hopefully!) top right against each post...

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Husband & Dobbie - VERDICTS

Post by yamaha »

Only if you are logged in. No anonymous liking. Just sayin'.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Correct! Anonymous liking is always dodgy - can clog up a database, and difficult to allow for un-liking when Tove made a mistake.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

I'm slightly confused by the 5* and % ratings that seem to be a consequence of people liking posts... There are lots of threads and posts with 12.5% or similar ratings which make it seem like a lot of people disapprove...
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I’m not sure what those are - they came with the plugin for the Like button.... I guess they’ll make more sense once more Likes have been given...
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Can I disable the thank/thanked ratio display in my profile?
I'm worried that I'll be perceived as arrogant or ungrateful for not having thanked anyone.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Oh for heaven’s sake, I think I’ll turn it off - more trouble than it’s worth.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: “Like” option on CH Forum

Post by yamaha »

oops - posted in wrong place - sorry julian - i was just kidding :oops:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

... and I clicked on what I thought was the 'QUOTE' button, only to discover I 'LIKED' the post.

Should have gone to 'Specsavers'
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Feb 2005
As a direct result of richardb's entry under "Re: Agenda for meeting on 13th Sept & statements" I tried to send a message to rockfreak stating categorically that the reference to a banker was not to me and giving reasons.

I even took his name from the members search engine but nevertheless the system failed to accept my message for transmission. Given his attitude I want to get the message across but don't want to burden the thread with my qualifications at law

Incidentally I have NEVER been able to originate a message and have commented before but not pushed it

Why doesn't it work?
Still problems.
Tried to send a message to you today about problems with indices - eloisesec no messages listed since about 2015 but she posted in last 5 days but does not appear anywhere in sent or outbox I was trying to find a recent message from her

There m i g h t also be a problem with my today's message to Loringa. Both originated using a reply to a message from recipient

System Firefox latest update on W10 also latest update.

David
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Hi David,

I’ve tested the PM system, and is working ok for me.
Worth checking “Outbox” - this shows PMs you’ve sent but which haven’t been read, and “Sent” which shows messages you’ve sent which have been opened.

Can you send me a link to the recent eloisec post in the forum - I too can’t see any recent posts - then I’ll be able to investigate further?

Thanks,

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Certainly I checked the outbox - zilch I even tried to message you but didn't appear to succeed

The problem is that I saw a post from eloisesec saying that she is bored silly and can anyone help her find a job. Unfortunately it got lost whilst I was creating a reply and got sidetracked by a family emergency. Of course all messages tend to get lost if you do anything else.

I looked through all the recent posts and then went to the list of her posts but there is nothing this decade so I never got to send my reply. Could she have been able to delete her own post?

David
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Yes, posts can be deleted by the original poster.
When composing a message, you do have to finish it, otherwise it’ll be lost in the same as other websites when forms are partially completed and you navigate away from the page.
You can get around that by leaving the window/tab open in the browser, and using another window/tab to look at something else…

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992