Who Else Has Never Been Back to CH?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Who Else Has Never Been Back to CH?

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I only have a one-word reply to Spoonbill ---- SAD ?

Look who's talking !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Chrissie Boy wrote:I have to say that when I was at Christ's Hospital (1970s), no member of staff ever alerted me or anyone else to the existence of the Careers Service. In fact I only learned of its existence when I was in my mid-twenties, which wasn't too helpful. With hindsight, I could really have done with a session or two with a careers advisor in my teens.

Also it wasn't till I was 28 and a schoolkid was dumped on me at work that I found out about Work Experience. I subsequently learned that it was quite normal for teenage schoolkids of my own generation to be sent out on work experience for a few weeks, as a gentle introduction to the world of work.

Did the CH authorities not know of careers advice and work experience? Or did they know, but not care? Or didn't they want their nice pupils sullied by contact with the world of work?

The more I think about it, the more baffling it is.
I first heard about work experience when my third child had to do it (the first rtwo didn't) so it must be a relatively modern idea.

I don't think the concept existed in the 1950's - 1961. I got the impression that the only boys they were interested in were those going to Oxbridge; there certainly was no willingness to comment on further education in 1961
I first heard about work experience when my third child had to do it (the first two didn't) so it must be a relatively modern idea.
I suspect that many such kids are expolited, used to do routine jobs that nobody else wants like filing! Fortunately I got Richard with friends on each occasion and both of them put him through the initiative wringer - with good results. However the stories I have heard from his friends .............. in one case mucking out the kennels and walking dogs from dawn to dusk. :( :( :( :(
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I only have a one-word reply to Spoonbill ---- SAD ?
I can't speak for the Boy's School, but yes, maybe, sad?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

sejintenej wrote:
Chrissie Boy wrote:I have to say that when I was at Christ's Hospital (1970s), no member of staff ever alerted me or anyone else to the existence of the Careers Service. In fact I only learned of its existence when I was in my mid-twenties, which wasn't too helpful. With hindsight, I could really have done with a session or two with a careers advisor in my teens.

Also it wasn't till I was 28 and a schoolkid was dumped on me at work that I found out about Work Experience. I subsequently learned that it was quite normal for teenage schoolkids of my own generation to be sent out on work experience for a few weeks, as a gentle introduction to the world of work.

Did the CH authorities not know of careers advice and work experience? Or did they know, but not care? Or didn't they want their nice pupils sullied by contact with the world of work?

The more I think about it, the more baffling it is.
I first heard about work experience when my third child had to do it (the first two didn't) so it must be a relatively modern idea.

I don't think the concept existed in the 1950's - 1961. I got the impression that the only boys they were interested in were those going to Oxbridge; there certainly was no willingness to comment on further education in 1961

I suspect that many such kids are exploited, used to do routine jobs that nobody else wants like filing! Fortunately I got Richard with friends on each occasion and both of them put him through the initiative wringer - with good results. However the stories I have heard from his friends .............. in one case mucking out the kennels and walking dogs from dawn to dusk. :( :( :( :(
Not quite true, although the idea certainly didn't come from anyone at CH, as I can't remember anyone talking to me about a career after CH. It was all about filling in UCCA forms.
I did a Student Apprenticeship at Vickers in Crayford, but it was Nottingham University who suggested it.
In the absence of any guidance from CH my father, realising that I was no genius, and had no special ability, thought I ought to try Engineering. (His brother was a Works Manager). We had a set of encyclopedias that had some sort of questionnaire, which helped.
I did Maths and Science at A level, and applied to do Production Engineering, which seemed not to require too much intellectual ability.
Nottingham accepted me, but suggested I looked at a Student Apprenticeship before I went to University.
Vickers were down the road in Crayford and had an apprentice school. It was a feather in their cap to have someone going to "University", so I was in. I did a 1 - 3 - 1, year 1 at Vickers, 2 - 4 at Nottingham with an assured income if I "worked" the holidays at Vickers, and then back to them for year 5. In fact I did VSO before returning and then they were negotiating closing the factory, so I left and went to RACAL.
No advice from CH but I did do "Work Experience" under another name.

I had many "weird " experiences in the first year at Vickers, but only one, that I could relate to CH.
Everyone got a day release, so that they could study whilst doing their apprenticeship, so I got one, despite the fact that I had already got into university. Every Thursday I would go to Woolwich Poly, (now part of the University of Greenwich). I was on the HNC course, and apart from a couple of subjects on engineering, it was a lower level that "A" levels, so no great strain.
We had homework and I would hand it in with just my surname at the top. After I while, the maths teacher would return it having written in Lord in front of my name. As my partner in physics at CH was a chap called Lord, and we handed in reports headed, Lord, Hopgood, I thought this Maths teacher must either be psychic or have some information on me.
It wasn't until I asked him and he told me that the only people who signed just their surnames, were the nobility, that I realised what he was on about.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Interesting point about the careers thing. I wanted to do something a little different and become a photographer, something I was quite good at back in the 80's. However, tell that to the "Careers Adviser" at CH and if it didn't involve a straightforward get a standard academic degree and become something professional-sounding like Doctor, solicitor, surveyor or engineer then they were completely lost.

There was also a new careers computer program (incredibly basic and not that great if I remember correctly) which the school was incredibly proud of. The amusing thing about it was it seemed to pick careers at random if you didn't fit the standard criteria (see above!). It told me that I would be best suited to Insurance work or the Police and could also consider medical and pharmaceutical roles. I was an underwriter for 7 years and now work for the Police. Who knew... :lol:

I have been back to the school a few times, mainly to show others but also to get an idea of what's happening now as my nephew may be going there in a few years' time. I had a very mixed time there. I encountered bullying (not the most pleasant of experiences) but am also wise enough to realise that I possibly didn't do enough to help myself at the time. I made some excellent friends there as well as meeting some complete t***pots who I couldn't care less about seeing again. I went back to last year's OBD to show the place to a friend and am attending the 20-year reunion this year. With a bit of luck all the pathetic "I'm cooler/harder/more popular/stronger/fitter/richer (delete as applicable) than you" taunts will have disappeared in a haze of long-forgotten embarrassment by now!! :D
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Tommy wrote:Interesting point about the careers thing.

There was also a new careers computer program (incredibly basic and not that great if I remember correctly) which the school was incredibly proud of. The amusing thing about it was it seemed to pick careers at random if you didn't fit the standard criteria (see above!). It told me that I would be best suited to Insurance work or the Police and could also consider medical and pharmaceutical roles. I was an underwriter for 7 years and now work for the Police. Who knew... :lol:
A relative arranged for me to try this careers computer programme - friend of a friend was a careers advisor. It came up with

1 Opera singer

2 Poetess

Rather more thrilling than DR's "shopgirl" prediction, I thought! Thanks for your memory, Tommy!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I only have a one-word reply to Spoonbill ---- SAD
How about 'fat'? It's a perfectly good word, you know.

As for 'work experience', I don't know when it started but I do know that a friend of mine who left school in 1976 at age 16 spent much of his final term at a Brighton Comprehensive helping his classmates dig the hole for the school's new swimming pool. These days he'd probably be said to have learned a 'transferable skill'.

The careers service? No, I never heard any mention of it till I applied for a job with them in the late 1980s. I wonder why we weren't actively encouraged to seek it out? I mean, it existed for the likes of us, didn't it? Ordinary kids from unpretentious homes who hadn't yet given much of a thought to our futures (apart from wanting to enter into a polygamous marriage with Farrah Fawcett and Raquel Welch)?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Don't know anything about CH "Career's Service"

There used to be a thing called "National Service" !!!!
at 18, unless unfit (And even then !) men were directed into the Services, or worse -- the Mines !

For some, it was 'orrible -- but others, getting posted to exotic parts of the World, it was great.

26 days after leaving CH ----- I was at the Guard's Depot in Caterham ---- it was 'orrible ! :oops:

But since I had volunteered for a "Career" in the Army, it stood me in good stead later ! :)

Later --- one of my Nat. Serv. Soldiers was a lance corporal Charlton R. --- who was good at Football !

I boast, that I captained a Team, that he couldn't get into !!
It was the Rugby Team :lol: :lol:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

My memory of careers advice at CH was as part of a conveyor belt of boys waiting to see Stan Malone, whom we were advised was the careers master, for a chat about careers.

"What do you want to do?" I was asked. "I'd like to be a journalist writing about sport Sir" I replied. "Very difficult to get into. Next" was the response.

In fairness I think most if not all schools adopted a similar approach to careers in the sixties and seventies.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

There was a dedicated careers room in the '70s - in Thorn. A, I think. I only visited a couple of times, as it was full of dusty old brochures about how to join the army, become a brain surgeon, etc. I suspect it was there because someone had to be seen to be making an effort.....

Oh, and Spoony, could I suggest that removing the words "into a polygamous marriage with" from your last sentence might make the meaning a little truer? I'm sure not many people watched Charlie's Angels thinking: "Cor, I wouldn't half mind marrying that Farrah Fawcett......"
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Don't know anything about CH "Career's Service"

There used to be a thing called "National Service" !!!!
at 18, unless unfit (And even then !) men were directed into the Services, or worse -- the Mines !

For some, it was 'orrible -- but others, getting posted to exotic parts of the World, it was great.

26 days after leaving CH ----- I was at the Guard's Depot in Caterham ---- it was 'orrible ! :oops:

But since I had volunteered for a "Career" in the Army, it stood me in good stead later ! :)

Later --- one of my Nat. Serv. Soldiers was a lance corporal Charlton R. --- who was good at Football !

I boast, that I captained a Team, that he couldn't get into !!
It was the Rugby Team :lol: :lol:

To make you feel a little happier, Neill - It ain't there anymore. It's now a 'posh' gated estate for commuters.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote:

A relative arranged for me to try this careers computer programme - friend of a friend was a careers advisor. It came up with 1 Opera singer 2 Poetess. Rather more thrilling than DR's "shopgirl" prediction, I thought! Thanks for your memory, Tommy!
A very long time ago a youth whom I knew had no idea what to do so his parents obtained a similar questionnaire. The answer came back that he shouyld become an agricultural machinery engineer! That was totally out of left field - and proved an excellent solution for him!!!

As for Spoonbill's poly marriage; what's wrong with that (at that time). I just wish that I had thought of it. I might now be a rich widower in Hollywood being fought over by unending nubile flesh. Well, one can but dream
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

John Hopgood, your previous life and mine are getting very spooky!!

Both Barnes B25

Now I find you went to Nottingham University (as I did, Industrial Economics 1992) although one of my subsidiary subjects was Production and Operations Management (Operational Analysis in effect)

And then you worked for Racal - I am currently sitting in the old Decca Racal factory in Raynes Park!

Where am I going to end up in the future?
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

sejintenej wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:

A relative arranged for me to try this careers computer programme - friend of a friend was a careers advisor. It came up with 1 Opera singer 2 Poetess. Rather more thrilling than DR's "shopgirl" prediction, I thought! Thanks for your memory, Tommy!
A very long time ago a youth whom I knew had no idea what to do so his parents obtained a similar questionnaire. The answer came back that he shouyld become an agricultural machinery engineer! That was totally out of left field - and proved an excellent solution for him!!!

As for Spoonbill's poly marriage; what's wrong with that (at that time). I just wish that I had thought of it. I might now be a rich widower in Hollywood being fought over by unending nubile flesh. Well, one can but dream
I think you need to remove "polygamous marriage" and read Richard's comment with a dirty mind (like I did).
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

cstegerlewis wrote:John Hopgood, your previous life and mine are getting very spooky!!

Both Barnes B25

Now I find you went to Nottingham University (as I did, Industrial Economics 1992) although one of my subsidiary subjects was Production and Operations Management (Operational Analysis in effect)

And then you worked for Racal - I am currently sitting in the old Decca Racal factory in Raynes Park!

Where am I going to end up in the future?

Looks like it'll be in retirement in Spain........

Playing with the village band..........

...... and sampling the local wine, which I believe is called Deja Vue !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.