Is the Belt Tightening ?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Moulam
2nd Former

Post by Moulam »

if it is truly to keep people off site, which i do agree with, why then are they allowed on site as normal over the weekend? they still have same opportunities to get on to site and into pods at the weekend as they did before therefore this measure has not helped solve problems.

as to the pizzas, they are good but they are not as thickly topped and they have much less choice than the telephone pizza. also size wise the telephone pizza company is hard to compete with as they still give 1/2 price to pupils so a 15" is now about £8 or so (i have not ordered for some time). this is why many people in school believe they are better.

the emphasis is now on kebabs anyway which can be cheap, filling and satisfying. i have not had a kebab for 2 weeks as i am trying to eat less junk food but the lask kebab i had was so much more satisfying than any school pizza has ever been and there was not a large difference in the price.

i do not wish to put school down for what they are doing but they need to step up to the line if they intend to stop uncertified people on site and stop them at the weekend as well, or at least enforce a rule such that all deliveries come to the sports centre therefore preventing anyone unortharised on to the site.

Edd
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

All deliveries go via security anyway - and it`s normal to notify them if a delivery is expected.

The "guards" do question anyone they consider to be an "unauthorised" visitor - my father was stopped recently while walking our dog - quite amusing because they recognise his car now and let him in , but they didn`t recognise him or the dog!

Also , recent visitors trying to drive to visit have had "encounters" of varying degrees of friendliness at the barrier, so the measures are successful to a certain extent.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mrs C. wrote:All deliveries go via security anyway - and it`s normal to notify them if a delivery is expected.

The "guards" do question anyone they consider to be an "unauthorised" visitor - my father was stopped recently while walking our dog - quite amusing because they recognise his car now and let him in , but they didn`t recognise him or the dog!

Also , recent visitors trying to drive to visit have had "encounters" of varying degrees of friendliness at the barrier, so the measures are successful to a certain extent.
Don't worry - I got stopped b a security guard walking my parents' dogs recently!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Great Plum wrote:
darthmaul wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote: Weren't these developments put on hold? I thought everyone was trying to figure out how to finish refurbishing the boarding houses first?
Well, I believe that most have been postponed, but I have it on good authority that the New Science school is being done in the very near future.

The boarding house refurbs are modified as follows;

Spending on individual blocks is down to approx £2m, rather than the £4m which was spent on Peele, Lamb, Hunt and Maine. The structural layout will not change at all. Extra staff accomadation will not be built - there are three flats on each side in each refurb - the number and qaulity of the staff accomodation will remain the same as in the old houses.

Lav ends will also remain! However, the very definite upside of the new plan is that the day room will be kept - something that the new refurbs lack.

I forgot as well.....they are also currently re-roofing the East Cloisters - they are falling to pieces.
Glad the Lav Ends will remain - surely what you have described there is what should have been done in the first place?

And the keeping of the Back Avs is also very important...
Is a 'lav end' what I think it is?
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

lav ends - communual bath rooms at each end of the dormitories. One set serves/served up to 16 people.

Used to be troughs for the sinks once upon a time and used to have two baths and open loos for the boys. I think showers and the concept of privacy has crept in in the past 20 or so years. When I left, they were still draughty and cold with a very slippery floor.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Looks like we're back to the suggestion I made in a certain Horsham hostelry, Mrs C. Identity cards for all deserving people who may wish to visit.

Two security officers on duty at night ????????????

I can already hear the local hair-dressers shop-till tinkling away.

CCTV is a brilliant invention, though expensive to set up to give full coverage. I fancy SOME protests from pupils, though.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Moulam
2nd Former

Post by Moulam »

Mrs C. wrote:All deliveries go via security anyway - and it`s normal to notify them if a delivery is expected.

i agree with all of this and this is where the problem lies for me. as there is all of this with the security, why then do school tell them that they are to let un-known delivery people onto site at the weekend with our food. surely this is a complete contradiction of everything that the security is there to do. as i was told by a security guard "we have to go through all sorts of checks and then we are told that any old delivery man is allowed on site at the weekends without being checked"

this has just annoyed me more than anything because it seems to me to be pointless to do this some of the time and not at others.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

'RR' has been very quiet on the subject !

No truth in the rumour he's put in for Head of Security's job, then ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Moulam wrote:we have to go through all sorts of checks and then we are told that any old delivery man is allowed on site at the weekends without being checked

this has just annoyed me more than anything because it seems to me to be pointless to do this some of the time and not at others.

I do agree with you Edd, but imagine - how on earth would school be able to CRB check every delivery driver who "might " have to deliver to CH???
I think security can only check that the delivery is expected

Also. going back to the pizzas - they were getting fed up with a constant stream of deliveries, which resulted in them not being able to attend to other matters and were not being able to check exactly where the drivers were going. At least the majority of regular deliveries for the kitchen etc are made in daylight hours.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

J.R. wrote:'RR' has been very quiet on the subject !
Perhaps he`s actually doing some work?? :!:
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

No - I think he's been spotted round the Bax
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Closely pursued by a security man.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:'RR' has been very quiet on the subject !

No truth in the rumour he's put in for Head of Security's job, then ??
I was in Devizes on business yesterday, so I'm just catching up.

However, I'm going to C.H. at lunchtime, so I'll let you know if I manage to slip in unchallenged......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

heh-heh.. sounds like a new sport. Can you get in undetected *and* deliver a pizza to hungry grecians?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Deb GP wrote:heh-heh.. sounds like a new sport. Can you get in undetected *and* deliver a pizza to hungry grecians?
Is this what the extra £30 a week gets used for? Keeping Horsham's fast-food outlets in business?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?