Sneaking off to the Cowsheds/Cut/Bird Sanctuary/Garages etc.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Alexandra Thrift wrote: when I was at Hertford....me and my mildly delinquent CH friends used to sneak off to "The ( Hertford) Castle Grounds" with 10 Number Six and a box of matches and lounge around smoking ,in idyllic surroundings. :D
Number 6 - the most disgusting fags I ever smoked (rivalled only by Number 10). :vom:
'Ariel' were pretty disgusting. They were the self lighting ones. A 'five-minute-wonder'.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:
Alexandra Thrift wrote: when I was at Hertford....me and my mildly delinquent CH friends used to sneak off to "The ( Hertford) Castle Grounds" with 10 Number Six and a box of matches and lounge around smoking ,in idyllic surroundings. :D
Number 6 - the most disgusting fags I ever smoked (rivalled only by Number 10). :vom:
'Ariel' were pretty disgusting. They were the self lighting ones. A 'five-minute-wonder'.
Self-lighting? I wouldn't have stashed a packet of those down the front of my breeches...... :shock:
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
J.R. wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote: Number 6 - the most disgusting fags I ever smoked (rivalled only by Number 10). :vom:
Self-lighting? I wouldn't have stashed a packet of those down the front of my breeches...... :shock:
As I recall Richard, each cigarette had a paper tab over the end which when removed, acted as a sort of match striker causing the tobacco to ignite.

Trouble was, you could taste the sulphur for most of the cigarette.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:
J.R. wrote: 'Ariel' were pretty disgusting. They were the self lighting ones. A 'five-minute-wonder'.
As I recall Richard, each cigarette had a paper tab over the end which when removed, acted as a sort of match striker causing the tobacco to ignite.

Trouble was, you could taste the sulphur for most of the cigarette.
Lovely!! :lol:

Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

englishangel wrote:I know of at least one person who used to smoke waccy baccy with the gardener in the basement of the classroom block!!

I seem to remember the churchyard was a favourite spot too, all those graves to hide behind.

How VERY " Lady Chatterly" Eternalangel ! I do remember a scandal concerning a girl and a young gardener ....can't remember who the girl was though, except that it definitely wasn't you....was it? :lol:
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

In my time at Hertford behind the chapel was a place where smokers went - you could see the cinema through the bushes. Also behind the science block although that was quite dodgy I guess. Can't think where else you could go at Hertford as we were quite restriced space wise. I know some used to smoke on the way to/from Ashbourne and also in the Meads area at weekends.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
malteaser
2nd Former

Post by malteaser »

The railway crossing (now sealed off) was quite popular, as was the tube (a bit risky), East Gun Copse (I got caught there a couple of times, though), the Music School bush, behind the Theatre (risky), Music School roof, Bocker's Club hole (again, a bit of a trek), the bus shelter opposite the (now defunct) post office (hours of darkness only), any tree which had plenty of foliage would also do. Doctor's Lake was nice, particularly in the summer, the cowsheds (didn't go there much myself), behind the Manual School (or whatever it's called now), Squash Courts (again a bit risky, but quite handy later in the evenings).

Sometimes a really heavy mist used to cover the whole site - when this happened you could walk around smoking just about anywhere, as you couldn't be seen from more than about 5 yards away.

how did u get onto music school roof? :?:
:twisted: smash the system :twisted:
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

malteaser wrote:The railway crossing (now sealed off) was quite popular, as was the tube (a bit risky), East Gun Copse (I got caught there a couple of times, though), the Music School bush, behind the Theatre (risky), Music School roof, Bocker's Club hole (again, a bit of a trek), the bus shelter opposite the (now defunct) post office (hours of darkness only), any tree which had plenty of foliage would also do. Doctor's Lake was nice, particularly in the summer, the cowsheds (didn't go there much myself), behind the Manual School (or whatever it's called now), Squash Courts (again a bit risky, but quite handy later in the evenings).

Sometimes a really heavy mist used to cover the whole site - when this happened you could walk around smoking just about anywhere, as you couldn't be seen from more than about 5 yards away.

Your use of the quote button seems to have misfired a little!

Now, I wouldn't want to get myself (or the forum) into trouble by encouraging a current pupil to break the rules (although I'm sure you lot don't need any help, just as we didn't).

All I will say is that it involved drainpipes which cannot be seen from the outside of the music school. I wouldn't have a clue as to whether it's still possible, as it's probably 29 years since I last climbed up there.

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Also, the fire exits in the 'modern' theatre section have a good solid door 'handle' which can easily be stood on...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
99yorkpj
Deputy Grecian

Post by 99yorkpj »

The bushes outside the sicker were dubbed last year by the hertford girls as "Zanziba". A few crates inside, and generally vioces could be heard from "somewhere". I think it's now used by Thornton who are in prep block. Herford house is now sadly extinct as from the start of this year. Shame..!
2004-2006, Leigh Hunt B & Grecians' East.
Jolyon
GE (Great Erasmus)

memories

Post by Jolyon »

Well in my time in Lamb A the Lav ends were 100% safe, and there was always Chelsea or the Coves (the alcoves in the sports center behind/below Chelsea proper).

Also those with a brave side there was always the flat roof at the back of house. Which was also a good spot for sunbathing or a quiet place to read as well.

How did I go through so many years there without getting busted for smoking or booze once? Then again I was too busy being in trouble for everything else I guess. I remember the day Friday they shut the whole school down for the afternoon on my Deps I think, no lessons etc; in order to search EVERYWHERE in the school. That was bad. On the upside I found out I had had my vodka stolen by someone in house. Their face when they got busted for it about 15 minutes later was a picture. Only upside to a bad bad day.
malteaser
2nd Former

Post by malteaser »

Richard Ruck wrote:
malteaser wrote:The railway crossing (now sealed off) was quite popular, as was the tube (a bit risky), East Gun Copse (I got caught there a couple of times, though), the Music School bush, behind the Theatre (risky), Music School roof, Bocker's Club hole (again, a bit of a trek), the bus shelter opposite the (now defunct) post office (hours of darkness only), any tree which had plenty of foliage would also do. Doctor's Lake was nice, particularly in the summer, the cowsheds (didn't go there much myself), behind the Manual School (or whatever it's called now), Squash Courts (again a bit risky, but quite handy later in the evenings).

Your use of the quote button seems to have misfired a little!

Now, I wouldn't want to get myself (or the forum) into trouble by encouraging a current pupil to break the rules (although I'm sure you lot don't need any help, just as we didn't).

All I will say is that it involved drainpipes which cannot be seen from the outside of the music school. I wouldn't have a clue as to whether it's still possible, as it's probably 29 years since I last climbed up there.
thanks, ill have to not try that one :wink:
:twisted: smash the system :twisted:
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

I'm watching you malteser...
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

outside the infirmary [between chelsea and the entrance] was known as 'Danny bush', as certain people referred to by that name frequented there. Such people are now known as 'chavs'.
I occasionally used 'coves', although in retrospect it was stupid lee unsubtle
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

coves was indeed rediculous. it was one of those 'bait' places i'd only go to if the people i went smoking with were absolutely adamant to go there. idiots.

to be honest, one of the best things to do is to walk around with the cherry cupped. the smell is less easily linked to you if there is someone else walking around, odour sticks to your housy less, and teachers don't suspect people on the move of smoking (unless they are running in the other direction)

am coming back to UK in 6 days with loads of baccy and fags if anyone wants to buy some (i can post)