My Lifelong Hatred of Sport: Was CH to Blame?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Great Plum wrote:I'm with Andy when talking about football - it just doesn't interest me!
Likewise. Chants of 'Ingerland Ingerland' emanating from the local pub when there's an international on don't really do much for me.

I suppose the fact that I'm originally from Somerset ensured that I never had any great interest in the game. Let's face it, Bristol City and Bristol Rovers were never the most inspirational teams to have in the vicinity.

I was always crap at football as well - far too big and clumsy.

Fairly well suited to prop or 2nd. row in rugby, though.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

I'm not sure that I quite share Bingo's loathing of games, or sport as the hearties and rugger bu**ers seem to wish to call them, but I certainly share many of his sentiments. I do wonder if there is anyone who was 'bad at games' like me who actually felt any enthusiasm for house or school games, or who developed any feelings of loyalty or 'esprit de corps' from being made to stand on a touchline cheering on a group of schoolmates who probably had no respect for you because you weren't 'one of them.' As I moved up through CH, I had more and more opportunities to spend my time on activities that I was good at, particularly shooting, but also occasionally swimming and, once or twice, fencing, but my dislike of team games and enthusiasm for these other activities probably did nothing for my overall fitness. I'd like to think that CH today, and other schools, are better at encouraging non-sporty types to fill their afternoons with useful activities and to improve their levels of fitness as well. I do, however, accept that this may be a forlorn hope but perhaps there are some school teachers on this forum who will be able to reassure me - or not.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Typo - there are - sorry.
[Corrected for you! - JT]
Happy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Happy »

Agree with Kara and Eloise. I was quite a chubber at school and enforced sport never seemed to do anything except damage my dignity and make me comfort-eat even more.

I also resented the fact that those good at sport were prized more highly than those good at music, or other things.
Eloise - I agree with your comment 'for the school'. At the end of the day (sorry) you should be doing things for your friends rather than some quasi patriotic blast that you know means squat. Perhaps then people would have stopped bullying others, having realised that their bullying would infact have a return impact on themselves.

My sis, who is a sports nut, lost a dangerous amount of weight when she first started at CH because she was simply not getting enough calories. This was a problem in my time when the Cranleigh rugger teams were noticeably bigger and stronger than ours. In my opinion, I think its scandalous that she feels forced to cook for herself or order in extra food. CH's move to open a paying pizza parlour should be met with the same line - "...it should be free because its for the school..." In this case, it literally would be.

I used to run the steeplechase in a decent time and even ran with Stindt (& others) on voluntary early morning runs. You can imagine how angry I was to be hounded by my sneering housecapt whilst on medical pass about taking part in a steeplechase that year and I was so scared that I ran anyway. In deference to that memory, I made no attempt to take part on my Grecians and even plotted sucessfully with our Juniors to, well, shall we say stack the results in their favour that year?

CH hasn't put me off sport per se. It was the degrading attitude of the staff I disliked and the emphasis on sport before anything else.

Happy.
:lol:
Nyort
3rd Former

Post by Nyort »

I'm fine with football. Football is OK, but I will not watch a club football match unless it's a big one (say, Champions League Final). I'll happily watch an England match (especially as it means missing half of prep and going to bed late). I dislike playing it with my peers though, who will blame a loss on one small mistake someone made and turn them into a pariah.

Rugby...ugh...

I hate rugby, because I hate most of the obsessive coaches, who always assume you want to play the sport.

Cricket is fine. Especially as its a great excuse to sunbathe when you aren't up at bat.