Favourite story from your time?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

leohunter
2nd Former

Favourite story from your time?

Post by leohunter »

Hey,
I'm a current pupil in UF at CH and am interested in what people most remember about their time.
Bit of gossip about the teachers? A friend doing something crazy? I'm intrigued as to how they change and how they stay the same throughout the years
Cheers!
Leo Hunter Leigh Hunt A 2020-
Studying Spanish, Drama, Greek and Geography
I help out in the museum and my governer is a prolific volunteer there
Foureyes
Grecian

Re: Favourite story from your time?

Post by Foureyes »

Leo,
Sad to see you have not received any replies, so here goes...!
My greatest single memory is of a very particular Chemistry lesson. The teacher was Mr Bevan (known as 'Pop') who was a dry old stick - he would have been just the man for the teacher in the film 'Goodbye Mr Chips.' He was always slightly untidy and was not the most inspiring of teachers. He had been leading us through what appeared to be random properties of various substances and some very odd researchers of the XVIIIth and XIXth centuries - the name Avogadro springs to mind. Then, one day, he revealed the Pedioric Table and it all fell into place. Suddenly, in one 40 minute lesson, it became clear there was some form of order in the Universe and all those previous lessons, which had seemed so disconnected, now made sense.
The memory is so clear that if that particular lab still exists in the form in which I knew it, which I doubt, I could show you exactly where I was sitting and Pop Bevan was standing.
One of my more pleasant memories is that some twenty years later I was at a 'do' at Housie when I bumped into Mr Bevan and told him about the lesson, just as described above. He was astonished (and I suspect, very pleased) not only that I actually remembered him but also that specific lesson.
Best wishes for your project,
David Miller
Lamb B 1948-55 (long time ago!!)
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Re: Favourite story from your time?

Post by loringa »

Leo

The most chaotic lessons during my time there were Chemistry with a certain Mr Mathews. He had been on the staff for a very, very long time and was a highly ineffective teacher to be honest who only once bothered to mark our work. This was in the Lower Fourth, which equates to what is nowadays the LE; back then the LE was only for those taking O levels (GCSEs now) a year early. He was a chronic, heavy smoker and was always out of the lab having a smoke in the storeroom that was located just outside his lab.

In his absence mayhem would flourish. Back in those days before H&S was given proper consideration you could make a highly effective flame thrower out of the rubber tube on a Bunsen Burner and a glass pipette which would spurt flame right across the lab. Also, as he always reeked of stale tobacco, a miasma that surrounding him wherever he went, he had no idea if anyone else was smoking so we would occasionally pass one around in lessons; he never noticed, or perhaps cared. Academically his lessons were exceptionally dull but in terms of the chaos that ensued are unlikely to be forgotten. Mr Mathews has his own thread elsewhere; he drove a Fiat 500 and the rumour went he has bought it using the fag stamps that used to come in his packets of Players No 6, another terrible icon of the time that hopefully no longer exists!

To be honest, it's not a great dit but on the whole I behaved myself and used my time effectively to get through the system and out the other end. I did once set off a thunderflash at a Scouts' firework evening; that was an enormous bang that rather failed to impress Mr Shippen, the Scout Leader. I received a quiet bollocking that was rather more effective than being shouted at ...

Good luck with your project.