On this day 70 years ago

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: On this day 70 years ago

Post by sejintenej »

My memory of films at CH was that they were a pain in the ...... as well as ears. As I recall the Dambusters was the only one worth seeing. On one occasion I got into painful trouble because the film of the fortnight was so bad that I walked out midway. Outside of CH the only film I saw was Sink the Tirpitz, simply because my mother's employer was in the team searching for that ship and he wanted to see how it was treated. Since I left I suppose I have seen half a dozen.
As for music I found what little there was at CH boring except for the band. I certainly do not recall the existance of any concerts whatsoever. Even now I like some of the Russian classical composers and much of the more recent stuff. CH has a lot to answer for
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Re: On this day 70 years ago

Post by rockfreak »

I wasn't a huge film fan either but one I do remember being shown was The Searchers starring John Wayne. To this day one of the best Westerns ever made. Director John Ford who later faced down McCarthy and his henchmen during the so-called communist scare. It featured white settlers versus indigenous Americans (Red Indians as we called them then). A racial message. I also seem to remember Calamity Jane (Doris Day in another Western-themed film). Have I got that right?