We knew him as the Viscount Corvedale

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Trongon Charsley
3rd Former

We knew him as the Viscount Corvedale

Post by Trongon Charsley »

Sadly, he died last month after 45 years as Earl Baldwin of Bewdley.

He was a master at CH Horsham from 1970 to 1974.

The Telegraph sums him up as "defender of his grandfather Stanley's political reputation and advocate of complementary medicine".

You may need to be registered with the Telegraph in order to view this obituary:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/ ... political/
Last edited by Trongon Charsley on Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: We knew him as the Viscount Corvedale

Post by Katharine »

Trongon Charsley wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:01 pm Sadly, he died last month after 45 years as Earl Baldwin of Bewdley.

He was a master at CH Horsham from 1970 to 1974.

The Telegraph sums him up as "defender of his grandfather Stanley's political reputation and advocate of complementary medicine".

Unfortunately you'll need to be registered with the Telegraph in order to view this obituary:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/ ... political/
I’ve just read the whole obituary without being registered with the Telegraph. He sounds to have been an interesting man, was he a good teacher?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Katharine wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:49 pm He sounds to have been an interesting man, was he a good teacher?
I knew him as the Viscount Corvedale. I didn't enjoy German (while French came naturally to me, German felt more like a branch of advanced maths), but I'm sure he was a fine teacher. My only memory of him in that regard is the following tongue twister:

Heut kommt der Hans zu mir,
Freut sich die Lies.
Ob er aber über Oberammergau,
Oder aber über Unterammergau,
Oder aber überhaupt nicht kommt,
Ist nicht gewiss.
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

I never had him as a teacher, but he was different from the other teachers. Always polite well dressed and walked with a straight back.
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

I'm very sad to hear this news.
Viscount Corvedale was an assistant house master in Peele A when I was there in the early 1970s.
I liked him, always found him to be affable, and he treated us like adults.
He also never "lorded" it.
Although he had a title, he wished everyone at CH to treat him just as a regular member of staff.
He broke new ground at the school by inviting Peele A students to join him and his wife for an informal evening at his house, playing records, having coffee and snacks, and chatting.
I particularly remember hearing James Taylor's seminal LP "Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon" at one of these relaxed evenings.
He also liked Gryphon - the prog rock/mediaeval folk rock band - and played us a few tracks.
As well as teaching modern languages, Lord Corvedale was a keen tennis player, and I learnt a lot from his tennis coaching.

RIP Edward.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Ba ... of_Bewdley
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75