Windows Updates

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

loringa
Deputy Grecian

Windows Updates

Post by loringa »

I spent a fairly miserable day yesterday unable to use my Laptop which just would not boot up. Having spent hours conducting system hardware checks to confirm that wasn't the problem (it wasn't) I eventually got it going by updating the BIOS. (Windows key plus B and keep holding even after releasing the power button until it beeps or the screen starts talking to you in case you were asking). Nothing else worked including attempting to reboot from a system restore point. Quite frankly, working from home most days and with a curfew from 1600 to 0800 until the end of Ramadan, not having access to a computer is simply not viable.

The problem: Windows 10 System Update KB4549951 which I have now uninstalled. Microsoft are clearly still not properly testing their updates before rolling them out, and this one is apparently causing no end of problems as I know all too well. Reading the various blogs and fora on this particular issue, it can cause all sorts of instability, massively slow the computer down and, as in my case, prevent it from booting up. The problem may be down to installation issues, we have pitiful band-width out here, but that is scant consolation when you rely on something as much as I do.

Apparently another recent update KB4541335 can cause similar issues but doesn't seem to be malfunctioning on my system.

Hopefully no-one else is suffering similar problems but I would seriously consider uninstalling this update if you have it.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Windows Updates

Post by J.R. »

I use Windows 10, and have had speed problem issues in the past after an update.

I received an update a few days ago which seems to have dealt with the speed problem.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I prefer smoke signals.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Used baked bean cans and a length of taut string also has its uses !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

An Apple a day keeps Bill Gates away
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:44 pm An Apple a .....keeps Bill Gates away
I repeat myself (just had a go at the Graves end ,,,,,); you must be joking. My wife uses an iPad and used to transmit to my printer over the internet or whatever anything she wanted printing. Now Gates has bugg***d her iPad so she can no longer print from it.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

sejintenej wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:19 pm I repeat myself (just had a go at the Graves end ,,,,,); you must be joking. My wife uses an iPad and used to transmit to my printer over the internet or whatever anything she wanted printing. Now Gates has bugg***d her iPad so she can no longer print from it.
To be fair, I'm not sure you can blame Bill Gates for problems with her iPad (see jhopgood's post) - Steve Wozniak perhaps?
Jan135
2nd Former

Post by Jan135 »

A friend of mine used to work as a dev for Microsoft and he told me many things about how little Microsoft's management care about their clients. All thet they were doing was completing tasks that pleased their supervisors. He wanted to make difference, so he quit. Now he works as a supervisor himself for an IT company.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Jan135 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:42 am A friend of mine used to work as a dev for Microsoft and he told me many things about how little Microsoft's management care about their clients. All thet they were doing was completing tasks that pleased their supervisors. He wanted to make difference, so he quit. Now he works as a supervisor himself for an IT company.
My elder son's first job after uni was to break Windows down to create the operating system for one of those handhelds back in the 1990's. He was very scathing about it - I think they got rid of 60% plus
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!