Michael Porteous

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

LHA
Deputy Grecian

Michael Porteous

Post by LHA »

I think this guy needs a thread of his own. I wonder if we have a definitive list of teachers who taught at CH who were convicted of abuse elsewhere? (Ian Rowley)

When did Porteous teach at CH? People might want to post details about his time there and any recollections etc

Do we know if the conviction described here (2014 conviction of 1970s abuse) is his only conviction?

Sort of interesting that at the time the allegation was made he was living in Thailand (not sure if extradited or if he was just arrested on a trip home)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/p ... 79975.html

https://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes. ... -of-pupil/

Given the tweets this might be his twitter account or it might not.

https://twitter.com/michaelporteous
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Re: Michael Porteous

Post by LHA »

The twitter is his....or at least seems to stop when he went to prison in 2014 and start up again roughly when he would have been released. He stopped tweeting in Oct 2017, so wonder if he's back inside for something else, dead or ill (or he lost interest in twitter).
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

LHA wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:12 pm Sort of interesting that at the time the allegation was made he was living in Thailand (not sure if extradited or if he was just arrested on a trip home)
In another news article it said he was living in Thailand at the time of his arrest, and was arrested on a family visit to the UK.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Otter wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:51 pm
LHA wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:12 pm Sort of interesting that at the time the allegation was made he was living in Thailand (not sure if extradited or if he was just arrested on a trip home)
In another news article it said he was living in Thailand at the time of his arrest, and was arrested on a family visit to the UK.
I suppose it's just possible he was teaching in the school Richard Poulton set up in Thailand
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

His daughter was in Thailand recently, not sure whether she lives there or was visiting.
Lenny
2nd Former

Post by Lenny »

I think it's a case of scratch the surface, and more and more will surface.

That school was not right, for a very long time. It was systemic, and I'm sure more and more will come out over the next couple of years as to just how deep the rabbit hole went.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

How did Dobbie get the job as chaplain? Did Porteous put in a good word for him due to their similar "interests"?
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Porteous reportedly had a nervous breakdown and left at the end of the 84/5 year, same time as Atkinson, which just left Dobbie.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

AMP wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:56 pm Porteous reportedly had a nervous breakdown and left at the end of the 84/5 year, same time as Atkinson, which just left Dobbie.
Would that be a similar "breakdown" to the one Peter Webb suffered from?
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

No, genuinely stress related as I recall.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

AMP wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:37 pm No, genuinely stress related as I recall.
Baker made out that Webb was leaving due to stress & we know that wasn’t true so how can we be sure the same convenient lie wasn’t used for Porteous?
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

marty wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:02 pm
AMP wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:37 pm No, genuinely stress related as I recall.
Baker made out that Webb was leaving due to stress & we know that wasn’t true so how can we be sure the same convenient lie wasn’t used for Porteous?
I wouldnt necessarily rule out the stress related breakdown bit. Its the reasons behind that that were brushed over (?)
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

I brushed over them out of respect to him and his family, and there was no suggestion of criminal activity unlike with Webb.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

AMP wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:25 pm I brushed over them out of respect to him and his family, and there was no suggestion of criminal activity unlike with Webb.
Ok. But was speculating about Webb...
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

AMP wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:25 pm I brushed over them out of respect to him and his family, and there was no suggestion of criminal activity unlike with Webb.
Why would you show respect to a convicted paedophile?