Here's a hypothetical

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Re: Here's a hypothetical

Post by Pe.A »

Otter wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 am I imagine one of the many difficulties for authorities looking to locate and speak to people in this way would be to inquire as to their whereabouts without them being tipped off and running/changing identity.
To be fair, i dont think using one's middle name counts as changing one's indentity. It's not exactly going underground. Pretty sure that teachers at CH referred to him as Richard, anyway. Furthermore i dont think he has done anything that requires going very far under the radar, let alone require/justify the authorities to want to request extradition. Just saying.... :roll:
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

J.R. wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:38 am Sorry Freaky, but innappropriate behaviour by teachers to pupils is just as rife in state schools as boarding schools.

I know of a couple of such cases very close to me which were 'dealt with' quickly.

Boarding schools in the past have always found it far easier to cover/hide.

Times are now changing, thank God.
Exactly.

There was a case in a London school recently where a 30 yr old teacher was having a relationship with an 18 yr old. He got a 3 year ban from teaching. I wonder if the penalty would have been greater had he been 40, 50 or 60 yrs old...
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Pe.A wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:17 pm
Otter wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 am I imagine one of the many difficulties for authorities looking to locate and speak to people in this way would be to inquire as to their whereabouts without them being tipped off and running/changing identity.
To be fair, i dont think using one's middle name counts as changing one's indentity. It's not exactly going underground. Pretty sure that teachers at CH referred to him as Richard, anyway. Furthermore i dont think he has done anything that requires going very far under the radar, let alone require/justify the authorities to want to request extradition. Just saying.... :roll:
There’s really no need to roll your eyes. Just because something didn’t happen to you personally doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

DazedandConfused wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:58 pm
Pe.A wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:17 pm
There’s really no need to roll your eyes. Just because something didn’t happen to you personally doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen.
Sorry, but could you pls clarify what exactly happened and to whom - either in general, or that would require HM's government to go as far as to request extradition? You sound like you're in the know....

The emoji was more along the lines of "whoops, did i just point out something controversial...?"
Last edited by Pe.A on Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

It’s nothing to do with being ‘in the know’. Read Julian’s post at the top of the sub-forum titled ‘Please be sensitive to those who may read these forums’. Whilst I appreciate that this can’t descend into a witch hunt based upon hearsay, nor should we be flippant as to whether or not offences may have been committed. Maybe there is enough evidence to extradite him, maybe there isn’t, but I wouldn’t assume that what I’ve read on a forum proves it either way. Some victims have chosen to share their experiences on here but others may be reading and not posting. I don’t think that being purposely provocative is appropriate here.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

If any OB has been physically abused by ANY teacher during their time at CH, then they should contact Sussex Police direct. They will be more than willing to speak to you.

They are there to help and investigate.

Even if a possible offender is now living abroad, that would make no difference.

I feel sure that there are still many more skeletons to be extracted from this cupboard and there will always be people to support you.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

DazedandConfused wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:15 pm It’s nothing to do with being ‘in the know’. Read Julian’s post at the top of the sub-forum titled ‘Please be sensitive to those who may read these forums’. Whilst I appreciate that this can’t descend into a witch hunt based upon hearsay, nor should we be flippant as to whether or not offences may have been committed. Maybe there is enough evidence to extradite him, maybe there isn’t, but I wouldn’t assume that what I’ve read on a forum proves it either way. Some victims have chosen to share their experiences on here but others may be reading and not posting. I don’t think that being purposely provocative is appropriate here.
Actually, it's all about being in the know if there are calls for someone to be extradited.

All anyone can go on are the facts, as things stand.

i cannot see how anyone could accuse me of being flippant or deliberately provocative. I'm just sitting on tbe fence and pointing out inconsistencies and challenging assumptions.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Controversial than, rather than provocative. Your own word.

I don’t want to derail the thread arguing with you so will leave it there.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

When mentioning the difficulties faced by finding someone abroad, I made no mention of extradition and wasn’t thinking anything of the sort. Just interested procedurally in how one might go about locating someone who might be in a specific place, with no particular reason or criminal insinuation (also applies to locating potential witnesses or victims who now live abroad).

I had never heard of the guy before seeing the initial thread about him. I’m just a nosey git who grew up dreaming of being a private investigator.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Otter wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:21 pm When mentioning the difficulties faced by finding someone abroad, I made no mention of extradition and wasn’t thinking anything of the sort. Just interested procedurally in how one might go about locating someone who might be in a specific place, with no particular reason or criminal insinuation (also applies to locating potential witnesses or victims who now live abroad).

I had never heard of the guy before seeing the initial thread about him. I’m just a nosey git who grew up dreaming of being a private investigator.
LOL. Considering you managed to track someone's picture down to the Southeast Asian Ceramics Museum's Newletter, i think you're wasted in your current job... :D
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

J.R. wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:38 am ...innappropriate behaviour by teachers to pupils is just as rife in state schools as boarding schools.
Boarding schools in the past have always found it far easier to cover/hide.
I strongly suspect the rate of offence (not just the rate of prosecution) is substantially higher in boarding schools specifically because it's easier to hide and for related environmental reasons. I would guess the rate of offence is 2-3 times higher (very rough estimate). And of course because teachers and pupils are in close proximity for 24 hours of the day rather than just 8 or so hours. It's also substantially higher in state boarding schools/Catholic boarding schools/charity schools/orphanages/juvenile detention centres/etc. than it is in public schools.
max_ratcliffe
3rd Former

Post by max_ratcliffe »

While the rolling eyes emoji isn't helpful, I think that I agree with Pe A.

What did McCall actually do here? A clumsy pass by an older man on another man. McCall could very reasonably claim that yes, he made a pass but stopped as soon as he realised that his attentions were not well received.

Doesn't mean that it was any less unpleasant for Pete (and, no doubt, desperately embarrassing for both parties), but there's no child abuse here. As part of an overall pattern of behaviour, it doesn't look great, and certainly the drinks parties look foolish through the lens of this subsequent pass.

But I can't see how you'd ever get someone extradited for this.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I am afraid Max that there is more to it than a clumsy pass on an older man.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

max_ratcliffe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:16 am What did McCall actually do here? A clumsy pass by an older man on another man. McCall could very reasonably claim that yes, he made a pass but stopped as soon as he realised that his attentions were not well received.
I think you'll find it was a similar "clumsy pass" on a male pupil that facilitated his exit from the school.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
max_ratcliffe
3rd Former

Post by max_ratcliffe »

richardb wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:21 am I am afraid Max that there is more to it than a clumsy pass on an older man.
Not really from the way that Pete described it. Trying it on with an ex-pupil, over 18 and twice his size, is not much of a crime.
marty wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:27 am
max_ratcliffe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:16 am What did McCall actually do here? A clumsy pass by an older man on another man. McCall could very reasonably claim that yes, he made a pass but stopped as soon as he realised that his attentions were not well received.
I think you'll find it was a similar "clumsy pass" on a male pupil that facilitated his exit from the school.
This is obviously totally different, especially if the pupil was a minor.