New User!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Gilly6
2nd Former

New User!

Post by Gilly6 »

Hi All,

Not sure who on this would remember me, but I left CH in 2000 and was in ThB / Lamb A.

Hope all arre well and thought I should join as I enjoy looking at the posts people put on here!

All the Best

James Gill
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: New User!

Post by Mid A 15 »

Welcome!

There are a few younger posters from your era give or take a year or two.

I look forward to reading your reminiscences in due course.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Welcome from an OOB
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Welcome aboard, from another senior OB !

:roll:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Gilly6
2nd Former

Post by Gilly6 »

Thank you all - I will be returning to play for Old Blues rugby next year when my season with my current club ends, and am in a 3 year relationship with a former BaB lady so my Old Blue connections are still pretty strong!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Gilly6---
Yes welcome to what is an extremely open Forum !

JR has mentioned Senior OBs ---- there are also Geriatric OBs-- as myself !

I am so glad to hear that the "Current Cuddle" is from Barnes B, the best House at CH !
You will gather that it has, in MANY ways, changed, from my time in the 1940s !! :lol:
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Barnes B, the best House at CH !
Completely agree Neill.
I claim to be the last male OB to leave Barnes B, since after I left it became a Junior House and then a girls House.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:--
Barnes B, the best House at CH !
Welcome Gilly6....
Another vote for Barnes B (I'm not as old as Neill... Ha!)
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
Gilly6
2nd Former

Post by Gilly6 »

Thank you all for the welcome, I will add the obvious, but as attractive as you all are I am quite glad that my partner was in Barnes as a girls house!

Do any members of the forum come to OB's matches as I would be happy to buy a pint and have a chin wag next season...?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. is a dyed in the wool round ball fan, so you won't see him. I think there are a couple of others who hang around
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:J.R. is a dyed in the wool round ball fan, so you won't see him. I think there are a couple of others who hang around
Steady on Mary - I do occasionally watch the oval ball sport on the box.

However, as you say, I'm an 'official' amongst the 'round-ball' brigade these days, which takes up most of my time.

It was mooted a season ago, to start an OB's Association Football Club, and I was asked to advise, but I don't think it ever got off the ground, somewhat like an emu !

Hey- Ho !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I'm afraid I am also a "Dyed in the wool" supporter, and player, of the oval ball ----

The only games of the "Other Code" which I have EVER played were -- a) at an LCC First School, prior to CH and b) at Christmas Festivities in the Army, which, by Tradition has a match " Officers versus Sergeants Mess."

These usually involved Smoke flares, Thunderflashes and other "Diversions" for the amusement of the Troops.

The best I ever saw, was when the Sergeants erected--- at their end -- a collapsible Goalposts, on rails- which was pushed together whenever we advanced towards it !!! ----- Recommended to Dorking AFC ??? :lol:

Some injuries could be quite severe -- I remember my Best Friend -- Terry Palmer (Afterwards a full Colonel !) being daft enough to pick up a Flare -- and received a seriously burned hand !! :oops: --- but 2nd/Lts grow up -- eventually ! :roll:

Oh happy days ! :D
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Officers versus sergeants. There is a rather nice story about a Gurkha regiment, where the Gurkha Officers challenged the British officers to a tug-of war. Came the great day, the rope was laid on the ground, and the two teams marched out, led by their coaches - the commanding officer and the Gurkha Major, respectively. They took their place. The British officers were absolutely confident (and had a few bets "on the side") and had even - perish the thought! - done some secret practice behind the Officers Mess. The two teams "picked up the rope" then "took the strain" and then "pulled." The British officers leant into the pull, dug their ammunition boots into the turf and pulled like hell, but nothing they did could move the Gurkhas. Then, as they began to tire, one of the Gurkha officers observed loudly that he was clearly no longer needed, stood up and walked away. Still,the British pulled like hell. Then another Gurkha left the rope, and another, but still the Brits (still at full strength, of course) were pulling and pulling and pulling. It was only when there were just three Gurkha Officers left on the rope (and five hundred Gurkhas rolling on the ground pissing themselves (literally in some cases) with laughter) that the British officers began to realise that they had been well and truly "had." Then, but far too late, they noticed that on the Gurkha side the rope disappeared into a pile of straw and on investigation it was discovered that this concealed a huge stake, driven deep into the ground, to which the rope end was firmly secured.
:shock:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Love that story --

We have, near us, a Gurkha Restaurant, which I frequent.
The Council told them that they could not fly the "Crossed Kukris" flag (As it wasn't National)

I remarked to one of my Gurkha friends, that the last person I would want to upset ---- was a Gurkha !
He smiled sweetly !!!

The ban is now rescinded !