News of Josh on his pilgrimage

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

News of Josh on his pilgrimage

Post by kerrensimmonds »

You'll have seen that Josh hasn't been able to keep up his postings and even on Facebook he has to be brief. But I have discovered that his mum is one of our students, and I made contact with her last week. She is in regular contact with him by text and by ringing him on identified public telephones. She is plotting his progress on Google Earth.

Josh is following a well known pilgrimage trail and is currently working his way down through north east France, staying at monasteries or convents when he can, otherwise he is camping. He has found it difficult in France partly because there is a bit of a language barrier (his original plans had involved walking through Germany, and he is fluent in German - but only has French to GCSE) so there have been times when he has been lonely. At one point recently he nearly gave up. John Shippen has encouraged him to at least get as far as Besancon, from where he could get a return student ticket on the TGV and come home for a bit of a break.

Josh has agreed with his mum that he would like members of the Forum to be kept in the loop as he progresses, so from time to time I will be posting progress reports, if that's OK with you? This is a message I received from his mum last night - it's rather alarming!

"It's good to know you are in touch with JDS. I don't know if you are aware, but Josh was attacked on Saturday evening as he entered the town of Bar-sur-Aube. A group of youths approached him and sprayed pepper spray in his face. He said he was terrified and in a great deal of pain as his face felt like it was on fire. He could hardly see to run away and he thought they were going to rob him. He managed to get to a house and got some help. The people were wonderful, washing his face with a shower. He then called me on their phone and then the family called the police who took Josh to hospital to get him checked out. He is fine now and the police drove him to the Fraternity of St. Bernard at Clairvaux. The sisters there looked after him and he remained there the next day and night to rest and recover. For tonight they have paid for Josh to be put up in an English B & B in Chateauvillain which is his next stop I think. His text today said that he is in a Youth Hostel tomorrow as I have made him promise not to sleep out in towns and cities.
Josh did tell me about JDS's suggestion to come home but I think after speaking to John, Josh has decided to go as far as he possibly can on foot and he seems to have a renewed determination to complete the walk if he can. I think as he has got stronger he is finding more pleasure in the walking and I feel the only thing to stop him now would be if he ran out of funds for food and accomodation. He seems to be managing to be frugal in his spending which is a good thing and he will learn from it."

In return I said I would be happy to pass on your messages to Josh, via his mum.

Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Re: News of Josh on his pilgrimage

Post by Ajarn Philip »

kerrensimmonds wrote: ... Josh was attacked on Saturday evening as he entered the town of Bar-sur-Aube. A group of youths approached him and sprayed pepper spray in his face. He said he was terrified and in a great deal of pain as his face felt like it was on fire. He could hardly see to run away and he thought they were going to rob him. He managed to get to a house and got some help. The people were wonderful, washing his face with a shower. He then called me on their phone and then the family called the police who took Josh to hospital to get him checked out. He is fine now and the police drove him to the Fraternity of St. Bernard at Clairvaux. The sisters there looked after him and he remained there the next day and night to rest and recover. For tonight they have paid for Josh to be put up in an English B & B in Chateauvillain which is his next stop I think.
An awful experience, but looking on the bright side, what a fantastic follow-up with generous assistance from the family, the police and the sisters. More power to Josh's elbow (though personally, I think he should have used 'The Ring'). I think from now on the 'power of positive thinking' comes into play. Imagine the commitment and strength of character to take on something like this, then the elation when you near the end. Talk about character-building... :shock: Good luck, Josh.

As regards funds for food and accommodation, Kerren, please tell his Mum I would be happy to help in some small way. Have bank details, can transfer. Not that he'll suddenly be able to stay in 4* hotels and eat gourmet food, mind!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I've got his bank details, Phil (cos I am sending a small something, as well). Shall I PM them to you?
And I agree about the positive thinking!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I've got his bank details ...Shall I PM them to you?
Hoist by my own petard - and so quickly! You were supposed to say "Thanks, Phil, but he's fine for now. We'll let you know if he needs a baguette." Go on then, Kerren! :lol:
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Having lived in France for 15 years before moving here to Luxemburg, I was most saddened to learn of Josh's plight in Bar sur Aube. I know the town well having worked in Dienville some 20 kilometres away and find it hard to believe that such a sleepy place would have thugs. However equally delighted to see that there are humans out there and that Josh was well looked after.

Not sure why JDS proposed that Josh return to UK via Besancon as Troyes or Dijon are closer to where he was but as our Philip said, greater strength of character to carry on and reap the reward at the end of it all. It is character building for sure.

Equally if some fuunding needed jsut let us know...

En avant Josh et bon courage!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Kerren: Please pass on Jan and selfs best regards for a safe journey.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Just to let you know that Josh has taken to posting the phone number, of a public telephone, on Facebook each evening - asking for people to call him. He appears to be enjoying the daily walking but the evenings are lonely and, for instance, today he reached his destination to find the designated campsite closed, the Presbytery empty (where is the priest?) and the only hotel (rather an expensive one anyway) full. So he is intending to sleep in the phonebox. Last night he did make it to a campsite but there was thunder and lightning so he did not pitch his tent in the dark, but slept in the toilet block instead

I confirm that I have passed on the messages from JR, Chaz and Ajarn to Josh's mum, who no doubt is speaking to him very soon......
Kerren Simmonds
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Gosh certainly an adventure but I would not encourage slpeping in phone boxes or public toilets in Franc eor elswhere for that matter. Safety levels drop dramatically ...

Attention Josh mais amuse-toi quand même!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Just a quick word from me - and it will be quick as if I never see, let alone use, another French Keyboard again (and I will) it'll be too soon.

The news, in short, is "What Kerren Said", except I'm now at Besancon where the second book starts - or will start when Amazon get their act together and post it through. Anyway, things are going well, no more pepper spray as of yet, so all's well that continues well!

Email access is sporadic but do keep posting and I'll read where I can! Those on my Facebook, you have my number for jolly text messages :)
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Glad to hear it's all going well now, Josh! :D
lonelymom :rolleyes:
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Just had e-mail from Josh, (such a clever lad) to confirm that he hopes to do a write up for the next Old Blue magazine.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

jhopgood wrote:Just had e-mail from Josh, (such a clever lad) to confirm that he hopes to do a write up for the next Old Blue magazine.
It's 90% done, in fact - written on my phone as I walk :lol:

Also, look out for more blogging soon...
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well done, Josh !!

:rock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Well done Josh!

Keep it going!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Sleeping in a French loo!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Josh, please do be careful! I know I'm a fretting old mother, but please do be careful!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""