Smartphones/Touch phones

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

CHAZ
Grecian

Smartphones/Touch phones

Post by CHAZ »

I am toying with the idea of a "modern" phone for Xmas present and was wondering whether any of you good modern Forum readers have one?

I like the look of the Samsung stuff but am open to all comments on any brand...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Jo
Button Grecian

Re: Smartphones/Touch phones

Post by Jo »

I've just (a couple of months ago) got a Samsung Omnia on a Vodafone contract, which I am quite pleased with. It is internet enabled so I can surf and get email on the move, although it's not ideal reading it in such a small window. The camera isn't bad - better than the iPhone as I don't believe the iPhone has a flash or zoom, which the Samsung has - although the zoom is fairly crap. It also syncs with Outlook so I have my diary, contact list, etc.

Happy to answer any other questions if you have any specifics - either on here or by PM.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Thanks Jo. If I go Omnia route, I'll certianly touch base. It is a nice model and has caught my eye. They have also brought out a new model called Pixon which has 8 MG photo and is a camera phone rather than Smart Phone. I am swaying toward this but will see if any other readers comment before.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I bought an HP iPAQ Voice Messenger. Rates well, but sadly (at the moment) too 'smart' for me. Though I am pleased with the battery life, the easy synchronising, the calendar function, the camera (not used it though) and the phone functions. Can receive but not reply to e mails and the internet is still beyond me. I can text OK, but all the words have a + between them instead of a space. Trouble is, no hard copy manual. All on CD or online. As one of my friends would say, it's time I 'RTFM'.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

I have just got the Blackberry Bold, on vodafone, absolutely brilliant and comes with built in SATNAV. Can't fault it at all. Simply brilliant. Got full keyboard and emails and texts are easy to use. You can use word, excel and powerpoint.

Loving the blackberry and don't think i'll ever go back to a Nokia
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
Sean
3rd Former

Post by Sean »

I got the Blackberry Storm 9500 a couple of weeks ago and I am totally crazy about it. It does everything I want and more As for the e-mail/internet services, well, it is simply brilliant. I would recommend it to anyone. :drinkers:
Middleton B '73 to '78
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Do you know how much you have to pay your mobile phone provider for the e mails and internet, Sean?
Kerren Simmonds
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My husband has a Blackberry for work and another personal Internet phone. Certainly his personal phone charges a maximum of £1a day for internet connection.

On the other hand I have a very basic Tesco pay as you go phone which I use for phoning and texting. I also have a digital camera for photos and a PC for the Internet and emailing.

The phone is paying me for using it at the moment. I got a text that if I topped up before the end of November I would get twice as much again for nothing to use within the month, then I got a 300 points voucher if I topped up £20.00.

So I topped up £20.00 ( + 300 points, so £17.00) then I got £40.00 added, then I got another text, "Thankyou for using ~tesco mobile, we have topped up your account with another £4.00"

On 26th November I had £1.83 credit. I topped up £20.00 and got the points and I now have £25.83, plus £32.73 which I have to use by 26th December. I am struggling to use it ALL.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
matthew
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by matthew »

I do love my iPhone. I've had one for well over a year now, so it's not just a passing thing.

That said, phones do so much these days that what's best really depends on what you want to do. Watch movies, listen to music, browse the web, read email, write mail, take pictures... even make and receive phone calls.

I know a fair few people who swear by their BlackBerries.

I've yet to meet an iPhone owner who regrets buying it. I've yet to meet a Windows Mobile owner who doesn't.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I've got a Strawberry.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Our new Management team members were all issued with Blackberries. The first time one of them sent me an e mail which said 'this has been sent from my wireless Blackberry device', I answered and said 'this has been sent from my blackberry and apple pie'. She was not amused.....
Kerren Simmonds
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Thanks to you all for your input. After deliberation I went with the HTC Black Diamond as the Luxemburg provider here
had a good deal on it. Let's see how Mme F. enjoys it.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

CHAZ wrote: Let's see how Mme F. enjoys it.
And I thought you were trying to decide what you wanted for Christmas!!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I can't be doing with all this complicated modern stuff. We have an old Nokia, which we bought years ago, and have not yet used the £5 we put on it then. It is kept in the car for emergency use.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.