Blue magazines

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

cj
Button Grecian

Blue magazines

Post by cj »

When are the next 'Old Blue' and 'The Blue' published and how do we get hold of a copy?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

The Old Blue should have gone to print, but with no CHA manager in place, I'm not sure what is happening there. Wendy, I know will do whatever she can. I think John has completed his bit

The Blue should come out towards the end of next term. I have till the end of this month to get my stuff together for the OB bit, with another couple of weeks to tidy up.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: Blue magazines

Post by jhopgood »

cj wrote:When are the next 'Old Blue' and 'The Blue' published and how do we get hold of a copy?
Because of CH staff holidays and other absences, there have been a few delays.
I am awaiting the final pdf with a couple of amendments, then Sam Rider wants to see it before it goes to the printers. She returns on August 22nd, so that is the next date in the critical path to delivery.
If the CHA office has your address you should automatically get the Old Blue. Phone Wendy Killner to check. E-mail might be difficult as she has just got back from a break and had 472 e-mails awaiting her.
The Blue has to be purchased but how that is done is up to the school, since it is their magazine.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by onewestguncopse »

The Blue will be published in mid October. I am hopeful that it will be available to Old Blues although not too sure yet how! Will let you know.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I've really enjoyed the previous The Blue magazine, so hope it's available to Old Blues (whilst appreciating the limitations on the CHA office at the moment.)
Will there be another music CD with this one? Thoroughly enjoyed the last one.

Re. The Old Blue - I'm in the middle of making this available via the CHA website for download prior to it hitting the door-mats - watch the CHA site for when it's available....
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Old Blue September 07 is now available for download.

http://www.chassociation.org/news/newsa ... NewsId=382

An excellent edition - fantastic work John H in putting it together, and some great articles and features.

Cheers,

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Have had a good look at the online version and it was fascinating. A special well done to Midge and cj (who I note describes herself as approaching middle age... - or was that Maggie?)
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Watch it, sonny!

Retreating fast from middle age
Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Ajarn Philip wrote:Have had a good look at the online version and it was fascinating. A special well done to Midge and cj (who I note describes herself as approaching middle age... - or was that Maggie?)
I was careful to describe myself as 'almost' middle-aged as I am no longer considered youthful enough to be a yob (by others I hasten to add!) and don't think that I am quite there in terms of my middle years, although I feel flipping ancient at the moment! Where Midget is quite clearly a fine vintage of wine or beautifully matured cheese, I am the British cooking sherry secreted at the back of the cupboard and taken out in desperation at the lack of anything better or the squashed bit of Dairylea at the bottom of the fridge that hasn't quite gone off but is starting to smell a bit odd and ooze out of the wrapping.

kayinbaja
3rd Former

Post by kayinbaja »

That's hilarious! You've started me casting all of my in-laws as fridge contents and drinks cabinet cast-offs; "packet of beansprouts that seemed like a good idea at the time", "vintage chorizo that looked quite tasty but tasted like shoe leather" "bottle of Baileys with crusty bits around the screw top" etc. Sorry, seriously off topic.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

You are a lovely young lady, cj. I see you as some of the (delicious) pesto from home grown basil, lurking in my freezer to spring into youthful life when required to cheer up the winter (30 pots, and at least enough basil for another 10. My mother would have loved the benefits of a freezer--sorry, off topic.

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

It's a while since I've been called a young lady so thank you, midget. And I'll happily settle for being homemade pesto - yum, I love the stuff but have never been able to grow a decent crop of basil to make it myself.

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

cj wrote:It's a while since I've been called a young lady so thank you, midget. And I'll happily settle for being homemade pesto - yum, I love the stuff but have never been able to grow a decent crop of basil to make it myself.
Wait until Spring and make it with wild garlic leaves - also delicious!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
kv.taylor
2nd Former

Post by kv.taylor »

My word. I'm famous.
On page 4 (on the download of The Old Blue from the CHA website) the following words can be found;
'The day was completed with
the massed School/Old Blue
choir in Chapel and Old Blues
left for their homes (or the
Bax) to cogitate about such
erudite matters as whether the
Headmaster should invite us
every year, on a Sunday or
Saturday, and how is it possible
for a flute player to practise
Beating the Retreat in full
Housey uniform and flip flops,
without falling over.

It would be easy to write
reams on the day, but pictures
tell the story better.'

On page 5, there is a picture of the band, and in the centre of said picture, is a droopy-armed flautist, wearing said sloppy shoes. It is me!

My Grandad (Oliver Bevan) pointed this out to me when he received his copy, being an OB himself.
On the subject my Grandad, I recently observed that his dark blue dressing gown has a yellow monogram, OB, as these are his initials. Housey colours, with initials denoting his Old Blue status. How poetic!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992