Phobias

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Phobias.....

I have a geniune phobia
22%
I have several genuine phobias
No votes
There are things I'm a bit afraid of but to use the word phobia is going OTT
72%
No-one has phobias - they are just irrational fears and people trying to get out of doing things or to seek attention
6%

Total votes: 18

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

marty wrote:CJ I feel for you - I just hate it.
May I request some clarification here, please?

The flight was horrendous, or Australia was horrendous? Actually, the country could be quite horrendous for people with spider, snake or horrible accent phobias :lol:
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

Marty, I think the idea is that in terms of the number of people who use each mode of transport, flying is safest. I suspect the number of people using hovercrafts, and the distances covered are substantially lower than those flying.

That said, flying still scares the s**** out of me.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Travelling by hovercraft IS flying.

The guy that drives (?) it is a qualified pilot !

Q.E.D.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I would have serious qualms about travelling as far as the USA or Australia on a plane. I know I will probably have to travel somewhere by plane at some point in my life - I'd love to take the girls to Egypt and wouldn't want to miss out on that - but I think the only solution would be to do what the A Team did to Mr T and knock me out with a large tranquiliser gun! The fear is partly 1) that I don't understand how a large piece of metal that weighs tons can stay up in the air 2) the lack of control that one has and having to have faith in someone else and 3) being stuck in a small space. And it's all wrapped up in a fear of my family and/or me dying. The hypnotherapy thing was about relaxing, and having acupuncture taught me how to breath properly to avoid panic attacks - I regularly have to do that when I'm travelling as a passenger in the car. But I never feel the same when I'm driving. So it must be about control or rather loss of it?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Wuppertal »

cj wrote:So it must be about control or rather loss of it?
I have no expertise whatsoever apart from my own guessing and other people's experiences, but yeah it seems like that's a major factor, it makes a lot of sense. Lots of people are perfectly good drivers but nervous passengers as they may not fully trust whoever's driving...my mum's like that when I'm driving :x I guess that must be worse on a plane when you can't even see who's driving - and it then can't help nervous flyers when the pilot comes walking down the aisle! Makes me feel lucky that I don't have any fears like that.
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Phobia treatment

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi

I agree there is a huge difference between a rational fear - which is an important part of self-preservation ! - and an irrational fear which can be either a formerly rational fear spiralled out of orbit, or again something wierd and seemingly totally irrational - such as cotton wool phobias and the like. The body can't tell the difference though and produces all the same reactions - dry mouth, trembling, nausea etc - we all know them!!!

When any fear/phobia is taking over someone's life then it's time to seek help, and EFT has been the best tool I have ever encountered for this. I was so impressed I ended up doing the Practitioner's Certificate (not that I have ever used it in that way).

Have a look at Gary Craig's website http://www.emofree.com

Richard and Judy featured EFT on one of their programmmes, but deliberately or not left vital chunks out and if I hadn't known what they were doing already I think I would have been none the wiser!

Love
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Wuppertal »

Funny, I coincidentally was browsing on Youtube a minute ago and a link came up for some truly bizarre clips from this very American show about phobias, featuring people who have the most bizarre (and admittedly quite funny) phobias you can imagine:

Mustard (though the first half of this clip shows a phobia of birds, slightly more feasible I guess): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLiiJFLL4g

Balloons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqtdVAalQY0

Pickles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjxOt2u2BGM

Peaches!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l2TjQSYCxE

Seems to be a food link?
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

hovercrafts are horrible went on one of those seacats to france once and according to the captain there was slight turbulence-the only thing staying still was the dover cliffs! I have never felt so ill or scared in my life
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I have a friend who hates balloons emphatically. I also shared a flat with a girl who had a thing about pigeons - she thought they were too turgid and might explode on her. Fortunately she didn't live near Trafalgar Square. That would have made for very serious treatment!!
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
marty wrote:CJ I feel for you - I just hate it.
May I request some clarification here, please?

The flight was horrendous, or Australia was horrendous? Actually, the country could be quite horrendous for people with spider, snake or horrible accent phobias :lol:
Just the flight. Australia was great fun. Didn't see a single snake or spider whilst I was there. The only wildlife I encountered was on the stag night....
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I think that flying is one of the safest ways of travelling - per number of people that fly...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

not phobias exactly -

Post by Angela Woodford »

My main fear is motorway driving! I feel this is completely rational, but I can make myself do it. 60 mph in the slowest lane - terrifying.

And then, (blame this on CH) I worry immoderately about being late for things. I just have to allow loads of time. So a sort of punctuality obsession.

Totally irrational is a fear of birds fluttering about indoors. I really can't think why - perhaps it's a panicky thing I pick up from the bird?

Munch
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: not phobias exactly -

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote:My main fear is motorway driving! I feel this is completely rational, but I can make myself do it. 60 mph in the slowest lane - terrifying.

Munch
I agree with that one; went up the M1 once - bottom section where it is 4 or 5 lanes, in heavy rain so you couldn't see 200 yards, amongst lorriies which seemed to be doing 65 and cars flashing their lights because I was only doing 70. Scary; in those conditions it was a miracle there wasn't an aquaplaning accident. Quite simply I avoid the M1 now - too many morons there

By comparison the notorious Paris Peripherique is simple. easy, a doddle.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:My main fear is motorway driving! I feel this is completely rational, but I can make myself do it. 60 mph in the slowest lane - terrifying.

And then, (blame this on CH) I worry immoderately about being late for things. I just have to allow loads of time. So a sort of punctuality obsession.

Totally irrational is a fear of birds fluttering about indoors. I really can't think why - perhaps it's a panicky thing I pick up from the bird?

Munch
I am with you on this one but I think it is fear of being pooped on.

No it's not, I'm joking. It is fear of the bird injuring itself. Had one once in my room at Hertford in the Upper Sixth. I don't like injured animals/birds because I can't do anything from them, humans fine, but animals noooo.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Munch
I must admit, motorway driving worries me at time. Not from my point of driving, but the other silly b@st@rds !

Son-in-Law No.2 and I crossed over the M.25 this afternoon at Walton on the Hill which is between Leatherhead and Reigate. The scars of that dreadfull crash yesterday where 6 people from Brighton died are plainly visible !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.