School Chaplains

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

djmg
2nd Former

Re: School Chaplains

Post by djmg »

For anyone who may be interested, I am in regular touch with Rev John Robson Chaplain 1962-1983 and have been since I left CH in 1971. He is now 88, living in quality sheltered accommodation in central London. His mobility is not what it was, but he can still preach a mean sermon. He is often contacted by Old Blues, and remembers many.
keibat
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by keibat »

Apologies, Rockfreak, only just seen this. Fair question, but I'm unable to give a reliable answer. I suspect, but could be drastically wrong, that Pullin was probably more liberal about the New Testament than he will have felt able to reveal. It was his teaching that the OT was not to be taken literally that has remained with me. (I have had several dealings in recent years with individuals for whom the entire OT is literal, accurate historical truth. I find it depressing.) (I might add, in case it's thought relevant and hasn't filtered through from my other posts, that I am a licensed Reader in the Church of England and hold a Bachelor of Divinity degree from London, taken by distance learning after my retirement.)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

keibat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:25 am Apologies, Rockfreak, only just seen this. Fair question, but I'm unable to give a reliable answer. I suspect, but could be drastically wrong, that Pullin was probably more liberal about the New Testament than he will have felt able to reveal. It was his teaching that the OT was not to be taken literally that has remained with me. (I have had several dealings in recent years with individuals for whom the entire OT is literal, accurate historical truth. I find it depressing.) (I might add, in case it's thought relevant and hasn't filtered through from my other posts, that I am a licensed Reader in the Church of England and hold a Bachelor of Divinity degree from London, taken by distance learning after my retirement.)
Keith. I think the Chain let out more of his thinking than you seem to think. Jonah and the Whale is but one example. I remember his talking about the language of the time in that it was illustrative and because of how it was constructed it is not be taken literally. In this scientific age how can one believe that the earth was formed 6000 years ago (or was it 6000BC - neither fits). The creation of earth in 6 days plus a rest day - literally true? There is no mention of God planting 10000 year already aged troglydates (sp) or did I miss something. People on Mesopotamia were writing 10000 years ago (ca 2000BC) did Adam speak it?
Sorry but I am with you in considering the OT not literally true.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:05 pm OK, so having mentioned Corks (and by implication bottles), here's another limerick for all Coleridge pupils of the 1950s.

Corks with the bottle was handy,
Like Buck (who was also quite randy).
There was, it did seem,
An alcohol theme;
Mrs Riches' pet cat was called Brandy.

Somewhat off subject, I've often wondered what house matrons thought of the eccentric cast of characters who doubled as teachers.

Thinking about it, I'm now not sure whether Mrs Riches' cat was called Brandy or Whisky. Only her son Graham will be able to enlighten us on this subject, if of course he's still on this mortal coil and on the CH website, which is doubtful when you get to my sort of age. Anyway, if said cat was called Whisky I'll have to rewrite the limerick. Only Frisky rhymes with Whisky which means that the whole limerick will have to be reworked. Here we go:

Corks with the bottle was handy,
Like Buck (who was also quite randy).
They went to the sea,
Where Buck had a pee,
And came back with their b*llocks quite sandy.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I don't remember Mrs Riches Having a cat.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Oh yes, she definitely had a cat as I recall. I left in 1960 so it may have demised at some point after that before you left. Brandy? Whisky? Any more information on this matter of great CH importance?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

On the subject of my old housemaster AH Buck again (funny how he seems to stick in one's memory), I seem to remember seeing apocryphal stories (on these sites) that he fell out with one of the headmasters (possibly Flecker) and took his revenge by at one time peeing over the HM's roses and another over his front door. This appears to make him a pedagogic version of the Rolling Stones in the early 60s: "We can p*ss anywhere man!" Do any (much) older ex-pupils have any verification for these fascinating tales?
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

The version I heard was that he was sacked after p****g on Flecker's bald head. But that is surely apocryphal.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)