Donation Governorship

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I had to google it (couldn't find it by hunting on the CH site) but found this:-
http://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/81.html#donation
The current minimum donation to become a Donation Governor is £15,000 or £11,700 if made under Gift Aid (whereby Christ’s Hospital can reclaim basic rate tax on your gift). This donation can be made as a commitment over a series of years or as single gift of either cash or shares
No idea how up-to-date this is - it may be a little low these days compared to figures I vaguely remember....
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

jtaylor wrote:No idea how up-to-date this is - it may be a little low these days compared to figures I vaguely remember....
Figures valid until 31st. December 2004, according to the website.

Time it was updated, I feel.......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

two years out of date, I think it is high time those figures were updated. If they are not we risk another newspaper frenzy on how we "elitist" schools are hiding the truth
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

It says that as a Donation Governor, you can put forward a pupil - if that pupils doesn't pass the exam, do you never get the chance to do it again?
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

(BaA 88-95; Foundation Staff 99-02)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Deb GP wrote:It says that as a Donation Governor, you can put forward a pupil - if that pupils doesn't pass the exam, do you never get the chance to do it again?
I think you just propose another one......

UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

The governor who put me through CH told me that he had a candidate three years before me who failed the exam twice and that is why he put me forward next
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

No governor for me. I was an Almoners Nominee - went to Great Tower Street to take the exams (including a French oral exam with Arthur Rider) and got in that way.

UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

I remember the abject fear I felt sitting in Gt Tower street doing my exams. I had just been made to read Tom Brown's school days and was wondering just what the hell I had let myself in for. One thing is for sure, nothing at a London state school had prepared me for CH
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

I was not presented or anything.

My parents were means tested and I got in purely on the exam - I seem to remember I had to do more papers than other people.

when i got in, the top three boys and the top three girls in the entrance exam were made "Leverhulme scholars". This was me (and 5 others, obviously). We were presented with a big dictionary each and had our photo taken.

To this day neither I nor my parents found out what it meant. I would love to know if anyone has any information.

I think Mary-Anne Ashmore (LH?) was in the picture but my mother lost it on my LE during a house move...
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Richard Ruck wrote:No governor for me. I was an Almoners Nominee - went to Great Tower Street to take the exams (including a French oral exam with Arthur Rider) and got in that way.
Same here - but can't remember the French Oral. Can remember being taken for a ride on the river afterwards by my parents! My Mum's abiding memory of the day was of another mother saying to her cleric husband, "look at all these intelligent parents, our Lizzie doesn't stand a chance" - it broke the silence amongst the waiting parents beautifully. Lizzie did get in and got to Oxford!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

I took a look at the other parents and children and thought I was totally out of my depth
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

I think you get to have a look at options for presentees before they do the exam, then if they pass it you present them officially.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

it would be good to know how much it cost though

(I can hear the Charge rattling around in the back of my head)

but i haven't paid off the student loan yet, so they'll have to wait a while...
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

I can find out from my grandad, if he'll tell me that is.

My student loan is never going to be paid off, so its irrelevant really. I'll donate to CH when I get rich.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

These student loan things sound absolutely evil things that ensure poverty for years to come