Way Back When...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Ah yes. The sense of responsibility. I would say that this is both the blessing and the curse of girls who held 'office' at Hertford. I wonder if it was not the same for senior boys at Horsham.
I wonder how many of those girls or boys have been happily relaxed in 'normal' life since! I know of so many grls who neither married in the first place, or whose marriages have faltered. I have a firm belief that the way we were treated/the way we were taught to treat those junior to ourselves at Hertford was not necessarily as healthy as it might have been if we had been in the outside world. This applies particularly to those of us who 'held office' as schoolgirls in the 1960's when the outside world was being blown apart!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Ah, Kerren I must have escaped relatively unscathed. Miss Jenkins disliked me so much that I did not become a Mon until she left and I went into S VI and then I did not hold office in House. I was told by a member of teaching staff that it was Miss Jenkins herself that had blocked my becoming a Mon, and thus to become a Mon and a Prefect at one go was almost unheard of, but she was leaving so could not veto it.

Tomorrow is our 36th Wedding Anniversary, and I am beginning to think that this marriage has a chance of working!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Congratulations Katharine (on both counts!)
Kerren
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

I have this vague creeping feeling that (once a year?) a group of Latin-studying Hertford girls used to come down to CH Horsham, ostensibly to visit Fishbourne (?) Roman Villa (or was it Bignor - or both?). I think they stayed in the Infirmary, which must've been pretty weird.

Has anyone here got memories of this phenomenon? Being plunged into CH Horsham so very briefly must've been a rather strange experience.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Katharine wrote:Tomorrow is our 36th Wedding Anniversary, and I am beginning to think that this marriage has a chance of working!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Congratulations Katharine, our 36th is on Friday
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

35th. Next January.

Under the present tariff system, this equates to two and a half life sentences, and I still have to remane on licence ! :lol:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

J.R. wrote:35th. Next January.

Under the present tariff system, this equates to two and a half life sentences, and I still have to remane on licence ! :lol:
I had to PAY for our licence - to my father. He was the local surrogate for marriages, and as we had been out of the country we could not get married after banns like most CofE weddings. Father was adamant that he could not pay himself for it, and somehow John wriggled out of paying!

We have just had a lovely day out to mid-Wales, away from the hurly burly that is Porthmadog at this time of year. I am still on sick leave after my op so had today (anniversary) and tomorrow (birthday) off with no problem!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Well who would live in Welsh Wales and not give themselves a day off from time to time? I envy you Katharine... and hope that your recovery from the Various Veins will be absolute and complete. Polly (Barrett) had hers 'done' about ten years ago (after producing five children) and we had to treat her tenderly for some time afterwards! I keep looking at my own legs and thinking 'ooh ooh..... do I want to go through that?'
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

J.R. wrote:35th. Next January.

Who's the lucky one then
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Spoonbill wrote:I have this vague creeping feeling that (once a year?) a group of Latin-studying Hertford girls used to come down to CH Horsham, ostensibly to visit Fishbourne (?) Roman Villa (or was it Bignor - or both?). I think they stayed in the Infirmary, which must've been pretty weird.

Has anyone here got memories of this phenomenon? Being plunged into CH Horsham so very briefly must've been a rather strange experience.
My year came down to Horsham a year or so before we moved to Horsham for a few days. The plan I think was for every girl who would be moving from Hertford to Horsham to visit before the move. Maybe those who did Latin visited in previous years. While we were staying we did have a trip to Fishbourne though. We stayed in the infirmary for 2 nights I think it was. I do remember it feeling strange staying there - the whole school appeared so vast compared to Hertford. We also had a few lessons at Horsham while we were there.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

What happened to those who were halfway through O or A-level courses?.How on earth did they manage to sort that out?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My 31st wedding anniversary in 2 weeks, and I don't have various veins.

Strange, because my mother's are/were terrible.

I thought you would like to know that!!

I hope you recover quickly Katharine.

We spent yesterday in York where our daughter hopes to study next year, at York St John. We were very impressed by both the college (Uni from 1st October) and the city, I had never been there before.

We walked our legs off.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

englishangel wrote:We walked our legs off.
So how do you know whether you have veins - of course you haven't - cos you got no legs anymore....
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Ha de ha de ha.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

midget wrote:What happened to those who were halfway through O or A-level courses?.How on earth did they manage to sort that out?
I was half way through my O levels - I had done one year of them at Hertford & then we moved. We just got on with it I guess although it was definitely something I could have done without. The whole style of teaching was so different to what we were used to at Hertford. For example, imagine going from Miss Jukes to a teacher in her 20's for cookery (or Food & Nutrition as it became at Horsham).
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41